Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Rental Property Next Door

Options
  • 10-07-2018 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I live next door to a rental property (two bed house) that by all accounts is owned by a terrible landlord. After refusing to fix multiple issues such as a broken shower, kitchen appliances etc, the tenants left the property due to it being unlivable.

Now the house is empty but there seems to be a sewage issue in the back garden along with sightings of rats. I don’t like the idea of that level of dirt right next door and the landlord won’t cooperate about getting it sorted.

What’s the requirement on his part here given he doesn’t have a tenant? Is he required to keep the house to a high enough standard?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Maybe ring your local council and tell them about sewage and sightings of rats, also try a local councilor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You should contact the local council and report it. They'll contact the owner and check the property.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Contact the environmental health section of your local council. The EHO’s are responsible for enforcing the housing standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Thanks guys, good info. I’ll do that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

kceire wrote: »
    Contact the environmental health section of your local council. The EHO’s are responsible for enforcing the housing standards.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

I have a similar situation couple of doors away, thing is its owned by the DCC if the people who police this have same standards good luck, unless its in d4/6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

You could also try the derelict sites register if its in a poor shape

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/planning_and_development_in_ireland/copy_of_derelict_sites_and_dangerous_structures.html

Assuming this is in Dublin
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning/derelict-sites

That may force them to do something if they are threatened with an annual levy which will impact any sale of the property.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rossmores wrote: »
    I have a similar situation couple of doors away, thing is its owned by the DCC if the people who police this have same standards good luck, unless its in d4/6

Have you reported it?
    They may not be aware of the situation.

Advertisement