Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an Item from Someone - Warranty Passes? (Gamestop)

Options
  • 10-07-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering as I couldn't find the details online about this. If I bought a console of a person through adverts, say, would the receipt/warranty still be valid if I was to claim for a repair/replacement under warranty? This is during the warranty period of course. The console I am looking at was bought from Gamestop.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Warranty depends on the manufacturer, consumer rights don't. So realistically you are dependent on the manufacturer having either no interest in resale or a specific policy for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

L1011 wrote:
    Warranty depends on the manufacturer, consumer rights don't. So realistically you are dependent on the manufacturer having either no interest in resale or a specific policy for it.

Thanks a lot.

I was also wondering, specifically to Gamestop purchases, would the cashiers specifically take details to register the warranty under a specific name? Just wondering if the manufaturer would even have a notion that ownership had been transferred at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks a lot.

I was also wondering, specifically to Gamestop purchases, would the cashiers specifically take details to register the warranty under a specific name? Just wondering if the manufaturer would even have a notion that ownership had been transferred at all.

You are confusing warranty, consumer law and buying from a business v's private.

If you buy from someone on Adverts then they are the person you have a contract with, you have no dealing with Gamestop. There's no protection* when you buy from a private person so if the item is faulty that's tough luck.

You could get lucky and Gamestop might deal with the item if you have proof of purchase and some manufactures have transferable warranties. But if you buy private they don't have to deal with you.

* theoretically you have protection if the item is dangerously defective but proofing the seller knew and then getting it resolved is long tedious and not effective.

Del2005 wrote:
    You are confusing warranty, consumer law and buying from a business v's private.

Right. Thank you very much. I was just thinking that if I was to go into a gamestop with a faulty console with the original receipt, that they would entertain the warranty claim. Anyway, I guess I'll have to buy from a shop for the sake of peace of mind. Thanks again you guys.

Apologies, double posted accidentally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Right. Thank you very much. I was just thinking that if I was to go into a gamestop with a faulty console with the original receipt, that they would entertain the warranty claim. Anyway, I guess I'll have to buy from a shop for the sake of peace of mind. Thanks again you guys.

If you have the original receipt the shop should deal with it under the sale of goods act. That's assuming they don't find out that you weren't the original purchaser, ie if it was bought with their loyalty card they'd have the contact details for the original buyer.

If Gamestop won't deal with you as you didn't buy off them some manufactures allow warranties to transfer so you could then try them.

Advertisement