Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a house cost per square foot

Options
  • 10-07-2018 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

As per title how much per square foot is it to build a house now, moved in finished not including the price of the site

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

wexshot wrote: »
    As per title how much per square foot is it to build a house now, moved in finished not including the price of the site

This is something I’ve researched a lot myself in the last few weeks.
    It probably varies a lot from one county to another, but the figures I am seeing are in/around €110 ish per sq foot. That gives you a builders finish. Obviously if you have an elaborate design in mind those numbers change.
    You’d need to add the kitchen, flooring, sanitary ware, etc on top of that then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Where are you planning on building?

Here’s one that suggest a higher m2 rate https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057889936

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wexshot

BryanF wrote: »
    Where are you planning on building?

Here’s one that suggest a higher m2 rate https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057889936

Southeast area

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭smokey20

I have a builder starting my new build next Monday
    m2 cost of €1,391 inclusive of vat... builders finish
    Looking at another €40k for fitout
    Same general area as Wexshot

• Advertisement

smokey20 wrote: »
    I have a builder starting my new build next Monday
    m2 cost of €1,391 inclusive of vat... builders finish
    Looking at another €40k for fitout
    Same general area as Wexshot

Good for you, let us know how you get on.

Btw what’s the m2 ? And Are professional fees, council and connection costs excludes for the above ?

Cheers Bryan

220m2... single story flat roof, underfloor heating, A2W heat pump, mechanical heat recovery

I wish site cost, professional fees, council and connection costs were included, but alas they are not... would like for kitchen, flooring, sanitary ware, furniture, landscaping, driveway, etc, etc, etc, etc to be included aswell...... but again alas they are not

Jezz your 40k is going to be stretched..

220m2 / 40(estimated) + 1400 gives m2 rate closer to 1600€

Hoping to get kitchen and carpentry for wardrobes and bathroom vanity areas for circa €25k, floors/tiles circa €8k and sanitary ware/showers circa €7k, and internal painting circa €2.5k... furniture and appliances will be got through Harvey Norman direct debit plan and will be another few €,000...landscaping can be done on an ongoing basis after that...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hoping to get kitchen and carpentry for wardrobes and bathroom vanity areas for circa €25k, floors/tiles circa €8k and sanitary ware/showers circa €7k, and internal painting circa €2.5k... furniture and appliances will be got through Harvey Norman direct debit plan and will be another few €,000...landscaping can be done on an ongoing basis after that...

Professional fees?
    Connections for foul and surface?
    ESB/gas?

• Advertisement

Professional fees have already been paid for

My original post was to outline cost per m2 for builders finish

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Professional fees have already been paid for

My original post was to outline cost per m2 for builders finish

Cost per sq. m is only one part of the jigsaw.
    That’s why we ask about fees and contributions, to get an idea of the full costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

If you haven’t started building yet, how can all the professional fees be already paid?

Don’t you need an architect/engineer on board for the entire construction phase to do all the drawings, site visits, sign off on the various stages, etc? That doesn’t come cheap. I was quoted around 10k + VAT for that service alone...

As others have said, professional fees, contributions, connection fees, etc can eat a serious chunk of funds before a spade is put in the ground.

Note - I’m only learning this myself in recent days/weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 olearyj1

Just commenced works on a 210m2 (2,260sq.ft) new build in the South West. Will be mostly direct labour and including professional fees, council contributions, insurances it's going to be in the ballpark of €155/sq.ft including VAT.

That includes A2W, UFH, MVHR, triple glazed windows and pretty decent specification for insulation. Only a very small nominal amount for external works i.e. landscaping, etc.

Have also blown some of the contingency in striking rock in the first few days, the joys of it!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    If you haven’t started building yet, how can all the professional fees be already paid?

Don’t you need an architect/engineer on board for the entire construction phase to do all the drawings, site visits, sign off on the various stages, etc? That doesn’t come cheap. I was quoted around 10k + VAT for that service alone...

As others have said, professional fees, contributions, connection fees, etc can eat a serious chunk of funds before a spade is put in the ground.

Note - I’m only learning this myself in recent days/weeks...

True, Architect already paid for draw8ing, planning application and construction drawings - arch wont be taking on the "assigned certifier" role. We have assigned an engineer for the overseeing of the project and payment to him is still needed to be factored in.

Again, the intention of my original post was only to advise the m2 build cost of the builders contract, there is much expense outside this as I am all but too aware of.

True, Architect already paid for draw8ing, planning application and construction drawings - arch wont be taking on the "assigned certifier" role. We have assigned an engineer for the overseeing of the project and payment to him is still needed to be factored in.

Again, the intention of my original post was only to advise the m2 build cost of the builders contract, there is much expense outside this as I am all but too aware of.

Yes but point is, that many reading won’t apprecaote the difference in costs between builders finish and complete turn key.

BryanF wrote: »
    Yes but point is, that many reading won’t apprecaote the difference in costs between builders finish and complete turn key.

Noted. Ok everyone, note there is a massive cost difference between “builders finish” on a build contract in comparison to the cost of sitting down with the architect to design your home and the finished article of sitting down at your kitchen table in your fully finished house and gazing out at your beautifully manicured garden... massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Carrickbeg

wexshot wrote: »

Ball park figure 150euro per sq foot. Add or subtract depending on choices e.g slide and sash triple glaze windows versus standard double glaze or granite worktops in kitchen etc...

Advertisement