Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension Cost

Options
  • 10-07-2018 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi there,

Can anyone please give me a ball park figure for an extension on a mid terrace house in Dublin 12, the planned size to be 40sqm (6m x6.5m).

Hoping for an apex roof with 4 velux windows and full glass front to include double doors.

The room will be used as an open plan family room. There is rear access to the property available for construction.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

happihat wrote: »
    Can anyone please give me a ball park figure for an extension on a mid terrace house in Dublin 12, the planned size to be 40sqm (6m x6.5m).

Depending on finish you do well to get bog standard for 1k per sqm, most likely looking at up to 2k based on extras listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Yes id imagine €80,000 minimum to build and finish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

A friend of mine is getting what sounds like this exact type of extension done and was hoping to pay about €80k for it. The cheapest quote he has gotten so far is €130k. He's in Dublin which I suspect increases the price actually.

I'm looking to buy a place at the moment and now staying away from anything that needs serious work because of this story and another couple of people I know who are not able to get anyone to do work for the "going rate". Everything seems to cost dramatically more.

I'd appreciate if you'd let us know how you actually get on in the end with price. Because trying to get what these things cost straight in my head is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happihat

130k........that's so expensive, thanks for this information and I will let you know what we get in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Prices are up because there is a lack of decent builders in the market IMHO
    Some clients of mine are having to wait 10+ months on a good builder, for the price they like and a builder they trust

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

60-70 depending on finer detail.
    Steelwork
    Glazing
    Vaulted?
    Engineer and sign off etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I would love to know too as I want an extension also., albeit much smaller. Please let us know when you get qotes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would love to know too as I want an extension also., albeit much smaller. Please let us know when you get qotes.

The OP’s quotes will differ greatly from your situation.
    Different sites, different works, different level of detail.

Have you got any drawings done for a builder to quote from?
    Do you know the level of structural alteration?
    How big/small?

Advertisement