Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No holiday entitlement

Options
  • 11-07-2018 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I work part time whilst in college doing deliveries

I am above board through the books and get deducted from my social welfare claim whilst I work

So nera have targeted the place I work and the guy I work for has said I need to tell them I get all holiday entitlement

I haven't been paid holiday entitlement in 4 years and he is again and again saying verbal agreement with the drivers so no holiday pay

Tbh I don't even get a full week off per year the last two years I took a week off only to be hounded on the phone by the employer saying he has nobody to cover etc

I work every Sunday no extra pay and every bank holiday no extra pay

Any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Hi

I work part time whilst in college doing deliveries

I am above board through the books and get deducted from my social welfare claim whilst I work

So nera have targeted the place I work and the guy I work for has said I need to tell them I get all holiday entitlement

I haven't been paid holiday entitlement in 4 years and he is again and again saying verbal agreement with the drivers so no holiday pay

Tbh I don't even get a full week off per year the last two years I took a week off only to be hounded on the phone by the employer saying he has nobody to cover etc

Any advice

Your employer is ripping you off and breaking the law.

Sounds like he owes you a heap of money... and he wants you to lie to the WRC so he doesn’t have to pay you this money he owes you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

It's simply taking advantage as he knows I need the job to keep roof above the families heads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. You are entitled to holiday pay at a rate of 8 percent of hours worked per year.
    If you tell nera the truth it's on record. He'll be fined and have to pay you holiday pay plus if he fires you after because you told the truth then you've evidence for unfair dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Besides which if they ask for payslips from you/ him they'll soon see that you're being paid nothing for holidays.....

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Tbh it sounds like you have him over a barrell.

You speak up and he can't fire you nor can he constructively dismiss you cos it's too easy to link to your admission that you aren't getting holiday pay, and you get your holiday pay. Meanwhile you look for a better job where you're not exploited and treated like crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Here's the law: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/20/section/19/enacted/en/html#sec19

Bit relevant to you:
    (c) 8 per cent. of the hours he or she works in a leave year (but subject to a maximum of 4 working weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ask him to state that in writing and get your holiday entitlements back paid.

10 hours for every 120 worked within a month. Partime is similiar but also posted above.

I get you are in a "position" and taking the above advice wont end well for you but it will get you the money you are actually owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Hi

Any advice

Tell the labour people everything, including everything you said in your original post.

They have this guy over a barrel and he's trying to get you to lie so he can keep exploiting you. You should at minimum get some serious back pay for holiday entitlements, and I'd be surprised if a guy like this isn't breaking labour law in a bunch of other ways (breaks? hours? providing payslips?).

I know you say you need the job, but if you're dismissed you'll have a solid retaliation claim, and it's easier to find part time college work now than it's been for the past 4 years.

Advertisement