Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone bought Hunt Wheels

Options
  • 11-07-2018 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

As I'm a fairly heavy rider I'm looking for some sturdy disc wheels that can handle up to 37mm tires @ 70psi.  Read some reviews about hunt wheels and am considering their 4season gravel disc wheelset.   Getting good reviews for the money.  Just wondering if people have tried them and what do they think.  I have emailed and asked if the rims will handle a 100KG+ rider with 37mm tires @ 70psi but they just pointed me in the direction of their tire pressure guide which makes no reference to wider tires or weights above 90KG.   I'd be looking to run either Continental contact speed's 37mm or might look into the option of buying them prefitted tubeless with Schwalbe g-one allround 35mm.  Ride a caad-x mostly on country and main roads.  Nothing cyclo crossy yet.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/gravel-wheels/products/4season-gravel-disc-road-cx-wheelset-1589g-24deep-24wide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

I bought a pair last September for the road bike. Carbon Clincher 38 deep 26 wide with tubeless schwalbe one pro, rim brake.
    Best wheels I've ever had, previoiusly owned Zipp 60s and MAvic Ksyrium among other cheaper wheels. They roll forever , good on hills or riding at 40kmh + . Im about 87kg and run them about 85psi

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

A lad in my club has the 4season disc wheels. He says they're great, and well able to take punishment, although he had to replace the bearings after a few thousand km.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a set of the Hunt Race wheels, absolutely brilliant. The only complaint is that they maybe too fast compared to other wheelsets on descents.

I was 90kg when I started riding them and had no issues, down to 86kg now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Cool.  Thanks for the advice.  Planning to buy them end of month and will pair them up with Schwalbe G-One Allrounds at 35mm.  I was initially thinking of running them with tubes but Hunt will build their wheels with these tires tubeless and ready to go.  Is tubeless worth the hassle.  I've read that depending on make of sealant some manufacturers recommend you simply top up every 1 to 3 months depending on weather and riding conditions, while others insist on removing the dried out sealant.  I'm tempted to try tubeless all the same.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Cool.  Thanks for the advice.  Planning to buy them end of month and will pair them up with Schwalbe G-One Allrounds at 35mm.  I was initially thinking of running them with tubes but Hunt will build their wheels with these tires tubeless and ready to go.  Is tubeless worth the hassle.  I've read that depending on make of sealant some manufacturers recommend you simply top up every 1 to 3 months depending on weather and riding conditions, while others insist on removing the dried out sealant.  I'm tempted to try tubeless all the same.

I didn't go tubeless because I simply didn't like the experience I had with the Schwalbe ones when I got them with tubes but I hear very positive reviews of them

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I didn't go tubeless because I simply didn't like the experience I had with the Schwalbe ones when I got them with tubes but I hear very positive reviews of them

I think I'll chance them and order them tubeless. They got back to me and said no problem running between 50 and 60psi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I think I'll chance them and order them tubeless. They got back to me and said no problem running between 50 and 60psi.

Go tubeless. I'm not a Hunt wheel owner and don't doubt their quality but they seem to have a huge marketing department and this seems to bump up the cost of their products. Fine if cost is not an issue but if it it is, the quality will almost certainly be as good with some of the top wheel builders. Check out

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/

http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/

thoroughly before going with Hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Go tubeless. I'm not a Hunt wheel owner and don't doubt their quality but they seem to have a huge marketing department and this seems to bump up the cost of their products. Fine if cost is not an issue but if it it is, the quality will almost certainly be as good with some of the top wheel builders. Check out

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/

http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/

thoroughly before going with Hunt

Pricing seems very similar there between the three of them.

How would their 300 quid or 400 quid builds compare with the all-(or at least Boards-) conquering Zonda?

fat bloke wrote: »
    Pricing seems very similar there between the three of them.

Not really. For example with aero non disc deep section you're talking about 1000 euro for Hunt and 700 sterling with spokesman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I can vouch for DCR. Excellent wheels and quality service. Not much spent on marketing either.

His hubs are treated for wet weather which I believe is unique in the marketplace. Mine are still whirring along after several thousand kms, no maintenance needed yet.

No experience with Hunt though. For gods sake get something other than Zondas :pac:

• Advertisement

I was just looking at their alu rim braked road wheels and they all seem to have a 299 option and a 399 more premium one. But with my limited Sapim sapience I don't take know how they compare...

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I can vouch for DCR. Excellent wheels and quality service. Not much spent on marketing either.

His hubs are treated for wet weather which I believe is unique in the marketplace. Mine are still whirring along after several thousand kms, no maintenance needed yet.

No experience with Hunt though. For gods sake get something other than Zondas :pac:

Well absolutely :).

If it's not a silly question, do hand built wheels... do they look like hand built wheels? If you get my drift.

hunt may be more expensive as they have their own rims as well, I get the impression at least one of the other two build up using rims bought in (which is fine) but maybe how they keep costs down?

A club mate of mine says the same, excellent follow up service which he availed of

Well absolutely :).

If it's not a silly question, do hand built wheels... do they look like hand built wheels? If you get my drift.

Its a good question. It depends on what informs your experience really, if the ' artisan ' thing is something that appeals to you or not. They do look hand built, low key, well made , understated and quite unique. They don't announce their presence with loud parp. But some factory wheels don't either to be perfectly fair.

I also like the sustainability aspect to them. If one part wears it can be replaced quite easily, although thats nothing to do with their appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭cyfac

When i was looking for wheels i had it narrowed down to the Hunts and the Borg50s from the cycle clinic i went with the Borg and they are just incredible Handbuilt by Malcolm Borg i cant do them justice in a post also he does IRC tubeless tyres which have blown everyother tyre ive tried out of the water

cyfac wrote: »
    When i was looking for wheels i had it narrowed down to the Hunts and the Borg50s from the cycle clinic i went with the Borg and they are just incredible Handbuilt by Malcolm Borg i cant do them justice in a post also he does IRC tubeless tyres which have blown everyother tyre ive tried out of the water

Have you tried the Schwable pro one ?

Its a good question. It depends on what informs your experience really, if the ' artisan ' thing is something that appeals to you or not. They do look hand built, low key, well made , understated and quite unique. They don't announce their presence with loud parp. But some factory wheels don't either to be perfectly fair.

I also like the sustainability aspect to them. If one part wears it can be replaced quite easily, although thats nothing to do with their appearance.

Thanks for that, I know what you mean. Do they suit modern carbon frames? I'm sure the carbon deep sections do but without really having seen them, I have this idea that the multi spoke aluminium rim ones might look a bit retro / homemade in terms of styling or aesthetics, quite apart from any craftsmanship or quality aspect which I don't doubt.

cyfac wrote: »

Those borgs are lovely looking

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭cyfac

Have you tried the Schwable pro one ?

Yes the schwable are a good tyre but less grippy than the IRC and also wear a lot quicker which i was surprised with as the IRC are very soft

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I know what you mean. Do they suit modern carbon frames? I'm sure the carbon deep sections do but without really having seen them, I have this idea that the multi spoke aluminium rim ones might look a bit retro / homemade in terms of styling or aesthetics, quite apart from any craftsmanship or quality aspect which I don't doubt.

I'd say they would. DCR and Borg have their own private branded carbon rims and you can choose your own hubs, depending on the sort of riding.

The DCR alu rims / hubs wouldn't look out of place at all on a matte carbon frame , especially with black spokes in a 24/20 config, but maybe not as nice as other factory wheels. Its true that hand built wheels have traditionally been geared towards steel frames ( or at least thats the sort of bikes wheel builders preferred )but there are a few exceptions especially with the mid to higher end rim and hub combos.

A pair of Pacenti Forza rims on Chris King hubs would be a great addition to any bike, better bang for buck than low to mid range brand carbon wheels IMHO. And Tune are doing own branded alu wheels now with their Mig/Mag hubs, very light and excellent value, although about 150 more than the DCRs, available on bike24.

Some great options if you want to jump off the Zonda bandwagon. And lets be honest, in 2018, all wheels are 'bomb proof'. :D

Thanks everyone for their advice.  I've contacted the other wheel builders mentioned and will see what they come back with.  

Regarding tubeless hunt said you just top up sealant every 1 to 3 months.  But doesn't this mean that the wheel will eventually get unacceptably heavy and you will just have to scrape off the dried up sealant from the inside of the tire and presumably the rim ?    And so do you end up replacing the tape regularly too ?

Also how do you know how much to top up by (same as what you use originally when setting up ??), and do you typically do it by unscrewing the valve core or is it common to remove part of the tire.  

Presumably you may need to reseal the tire bead with a pump that has a dedicated chamber.  Alot of these chambers you can inflate to 140psi.  But if you are seating a tyre like a Schwalbe G-One Allround 35mm with a max recommended pressure of 70psi is it safe to let loose with a 140psi air chamber ?

Thanks everyone for their advice.  I've contacted the other wheel builders mentioned and will see what they come back with.  

Regarding tubeless hunt said you just top up sealant every 1 to 3 months.  But doesn't this mean that the wheel will eventually get unacceptably heavy and you will just have to scrape off the dried up sealant from the inside of the tire and presumably the rim ?    And so do you end up replacing the tape regularly too ?

Also how do you know how much to top up by (same as what you use originally when setting up ??), and do you typically do it by unscrewing the valve core or is it common to remove part of the tire.  

Presumably you may need to reseal the tire bead with a pump that has a dedicated chamber.  Alot of these chambers you can inflate to 140psi.  But if you are seating a tyre like a Schwalbe G-One Allround 35mm with a max recommended pressure of 70psi is it safe to let loose with a 140psi air chamber ?

Have a read of

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057818455

if you are thinking about going tubeless. Most of your answers are in there. You can get away with topping up less, particularly in winter when it is colder.

Advertisement