Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chalk X on my shed overnight

• 11-07-2018 8:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Woke up this morning to see someone had chalked an X on my shed - is this some sort of indicator to thieving scum to rob me or has this happened anyone before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

smokingman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Woke up this morning to see someone had chalked an X on my shed - is this some sort of indicator to thieving scum to rob me or has this happened anyone before?

Yes, yes it is .

I moved into a house in D12 years ago and had a dog at the time. Within days a "D" appeared on the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It's the hobo code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Hi all,

No. It just means your shed has been marked for saving when the Vogon’s come along to build their highway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wash it off, make sure everything is secure, alarm if possible and get cctv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You're right. I mean, despite the fact that we have smart phones, the internet and googlemaps, petty thieves still resort to chalk marks on walls. Now, strangely enough they still do this despite the fact that apparently everyone knows it means you're going to get broken into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Rub out the chalk,
    Then draw an x on your neighbours shed.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You're getting nuked from orbit

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi all,

You have already been robbed. They took an X from your shed. What you're seeing is the empty space left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

:eek:

I don't know whether you are telling a joke or not, but if for real I would be freaked out by that. You haven't filled in enough details though - are you living in a rural or urban location. If you are in town or on a street maybe kids were just messing going by last night, but if someone had to come up a lane in an isolated rural area then ...feck it..I'd be scared. I'd borrow a big fierce dog on a long chain and a comfy kennel for the dog to sleep outside :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Put an X on the local Garda station...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-issue-alert-at-unusual-markings-at-properties-853948.html

I think a phone call to the Gardai would be a good idea as they might have other reports of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Malayalam wrote: »

I don't know whether you are telling a joke or not, but if for real I would be freaked out by that. You haven't filled in enough details though - are you living in a rural or urban location. If you are in town or on a street maybe kids were just messing going by last night, but if someone had to come up a lane in an isolated rural area then ...feck it..I'd be scared. I'd borrow a big fierce dog on a long chain and a comfy kennel for the dog to sleep outside :)

Living in the countryside up a lane.
    I have cctv around the place but no dog. Will ring the local Garda now and see what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hi all,

It was happening five years ago. The so called Da Pinchi Code.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84092839

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Get some chalk in different colours and put loads of x's on your shed.. confuse the feck out of whoever put it there!

I would also contact the guards in case it is a gang targeting the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Hang a picture of a shotgun under the X.

Living in the countryside up a lane.
    I have cctv around the place but no dog. Will ring the local Garda now and see what they say

Yeah, I'd definitely ring the guards. It's a bit freaky. I live in a very isolated place and my husband works away from home. Mostly though it's just harmless psycho farmers tirelessly roaring obscenities at their cows. If I saw an X I'd be packing me bags!! The odd time I wish I had a gun :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Garda say "not to be worried, 9 times out of 10 it's nothing"...

....so that's useful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The odd time I wish I had a gun :o

Have a wander around Dublin the next time you're up. You may find one just sitting on the footpath.

....so that's useful...

Fexake, what does that mean, you've about a ten percent chance of being robbed soon?
    There is so much attention to urban gangland crime in Ireland and yet these roaming scumbag gangs that rob people in the country, not to mention the sadism some of them have visited on elderly folk by times, deserves at least as much manpower and serious effort to stamp out.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I think it's just somebody starting a game of Xs and Os. Just place an O and see what happens.

Being serious, I'd get a dog, a very barky one if possible. They're great for deterring unwanted visitors if you live in the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aurora1966

Add a Facebook Like sign to it and welcome note, come on in and lose your life..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Had the same on my shed a few years back, nothing happened though. I just cleaned it off.
    Dont know if it was the kids in the neighbourhood messing, but do make sure you have a working alarm regardless and good locks on doors\windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You're right. I mean, despite the fact that we have smart phones, the internet and googlemaps, petty thieves still resort to chalk marks on walls. Now, strangely enough they still do this despite the fact that apparently everyone knows it means you're going to get broken into.

Sounds like a very inefficient way of noting places of interest, plus potentially alerting the owners isn't very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Criminals often do this with banks they are going to rob as well - place a large 'X' for the world to see their intention.

Actually, come to think of it, that's a great idea for an app! 'Burglar Pal - See a house that you want to rob? Just add it to your favourites and away you go!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

There's a business opportunity for someone to sell CRM systems to burglers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

The dog needs to be inside the house. He can't alert anyone if he's been poisoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭delboythedub

I have a little alarm (battery operated) which uses a small remote fob on the shed down the garden and for €70.00 was the good purchase .it sensors movement of body heat when door is opened and the noise it creates is enough to run anyone . It called a"Wireless Motion Sensor Alarm MH 802. I have one in my ground floor apartment as well and I could loop them together but I'll keep them seperatate for moment.The remote fob is active up to 50 mtrs and makes a loud blip when turning on and off I would be prepared a demo to a mod on boards. Pm me if I can help anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Get a dog is good advice only if you actually want a dog.
    Yes it will be a deterrent, but it's a big commitment and I would hate to think of it being bought solely for the purpose of guarding your shed, without any real thought for the dog and how this new addition to your farm or family would fit in.
    It's also not useful advice if you don't like dogs or don't want one.

There are motion sensors that bark on the market, giving the illusion that there is a big dog on the premises. I do t know if they are any good, it def not as disruptive to your lifestyle as getting a real dog.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Yes it will be a deterrent, but it's a big commitment and I would hate to think of it being bought solely for the purpose of guarding your shed, without any real thought for the dog and how this new addition to your farm or family would fit in.

There are motion sensors that bark on the market, giving the illusion that there is a big dog on the premises. I do t know if they are any good, it def not as disruptive to your lifestyle as getting a real dog.

Yeah, that's why i said borrow a dog. I buried my lovely 18 year old dog in the garden last year (she was dead!) and the last 2 years of minding her constantly through poor health has put me off another one. But she was great for the barking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Wait in your shed wearing your gimp suit , you do have one , don't ya ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

....so that's useful...

someone was on the property late at night to write a big X

"nothing to worry about"

just knowing someone was around my house would be enough to freak me out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Empty the shed, leave it open and set a big trap like mouse trap.....
    As soon as they step in boom they are caged.

Then keep them there for weeks while playing nursery rhymes over, over, over, over & over again.

Blast them with p1ss

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lilmissbee88

Rub out the chalk,
    Then draw an x on your neighbours shed.

dead hahahahha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Bananaleaf wrote: »

That sounds interesting I can't imagine a recording from a little alarm sounding anything like a real dog barking right beside you though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

After the X
    add -Men waiting inside for you.

x-men waiting inside for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

An agri supplier beware of dog sign near the head of the lane might be a handy half solution to deter the uninvited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Draw lines around it and put an "O" in the centre square.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

This sign placed above the X might do the trick

f40fe8e05034fedc6cfb5fd8dc919ef1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It's the hobo code.
    Link

zzzreconnaissancechalkEXAMINER_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-227987

"X" means "good target", apparently. I wonder if these symbols are really used these days, apart from youngfellas playing pranks on their neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Ahh sthop...

Two theifs,,
    T1: "Comon lets the the F out of here before they wake up."
    T2: "Hold on i need to draw this quite detailed symbol to show its already been burgled for future theifs"
    T1: "Yano, I forgot how considerate you are, take your time"

455519.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

So if you put a circle around the X they'll ignore the house?

Perfect stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why would they change?

It would be foolish to build up a database of houses on some digital device.

It's creating a trail straight away.

When it comes to thieving the old practices are still the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Ahh sthop...

Two theifs,,
    T1: "Comon lets the the F out of here before they wake up."
    T2: "Hold on i need to draw this quite detailed symbol to show its already been burgled for future theifs"
    T1: "Yano, I forgot how considerate you are, take your time"

455519.PNG

Yeah that looks like a lot of chalking...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You've been nominated to take part in a game of home alone, you have one night and one day to prepare the house with the most elaborate traps using common household items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Maybe they think there's treasure in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Why would they change?

100 years ago, people may not have had any idea of the meaning of a weird chalk mark.

These days, people can search on the net and find out about thieves tagging their houses for burglary, meaning that physical tagging of properties should be far less effective now than it had been once and it may even be counterproductive, by putting homeowners/landowners on the alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Draw a grid around the X like in X’s & O’s and draw an O in your choice place and wait for them to come back and draw another X. Lead them in to a false sense of security by letting them think they’re going to win and on the night they’re going to place the final X in order to win, be waiting in the shadows with s baseball bat and beat the blue fcuk out of them. That’ll teach them to play X&O’s on someone else’s property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

draw a picture of a gun beside the x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Write the word ‘factor’ beside it and pin a picture of Louis Walsh up.
    That’ll keep them away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I have a little alarm (battery operated) which uses a small remote fob on the shed down the garden and for €70.00 was the good purchase .it sensors movement of body heat when door is opened and the noise it creates is enough to run anyone . It called a"Wireless Motion Sensor Alarm MH 802. I have one in my ground floor apartment as well and I could loop them together but I'll keep them seperatate for moment.The remote fob is active up to 50 mtrs and makes a loud blip when turning on and off I would be prepared a demo to a mod on boards. Pm me if I can help anyone

Looks like Delboy has a load of alarms he's trying to flog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement