Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting a bedroom

• 11-07-2018 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

It has been about 10 years since I painted. I need a bedroom in my house repainted for my daughter to move into the room as her bedroom. It is currently painted pale blue. I am hoping to repaint it white, and she wants a feature wall in a blue / turquoise colour (that I will let her pick herself). I was going to paint the walls white.

Can you recommend a good paint brand for me? Something that is hopefully as easy as possible. There don't appear to be any nicks or scrapes on the walls as they are, but if you have any tips for me there too, that would be great. Im trying to do it this weekend (in and around family commitments and World Cup final).

Or am I better to hire a professional to do just this job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I have always done my own painting and hope to always do so.
    Once you do the prep, masking etc...the edges with a brush then the rest with a roller, it really is an okay job.

I'd recommend Colourtrend paints for coverage and wearability. It also goes on so easily, I flew through painting my home. I used interior matt throughout.
    It is a little more expensive but it shows in my opinion.
    I've used different brands over the years and this is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Get a Trade paint, far better opacity ( coverage ) than off the shelf stuff. I use McPherson's which is the Crown trade paint. If you want to splash out a bit, there is an acrylic matt paint available, which is very hardwearing. Costs about 35 -40 euro for 5 litres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I know you didn’t mention wall stickers, but be aware that if you intend to use them, you need to get paint that they’ll adhere to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Oh, and colourtrend paint is fab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Paint the celling as well a the walls.
    For nicks and scrapes get a lamp / torch and place it at the floor level shining upwards at night step back and you shoud be able to pick out any areas that need filling.
    A sandpaper block and light grit and a paint scraper for scratch repair (a 2" to fill and a 6" to flatten an feather into the wall, (Aldi has some leftover from the specials)) sometimes it's best to enlarge the hole, sand and apply the repair plaster and sand back once dry. If you don't have a lot of filling buy a premix plaster.
    Do the filling the night before the painting to give it time to dry.
    Suger soap to give the walls a good clean before starting the painting.
    Buy a long handle and rollers that will screw on to the handle, a small mini roller with a covered end will get into the corners and avoid having to use a paintbrush up high.
    Buy at least 2 rolls of masking tape, 1 will go missing half way through. fold down a corner of the tape on the role after cutting lengths so that the next start is a quick flick of a tumbnail.
    Clear out as much furniture as possible but leave a walkway in and out of the room or clear everything to one half paint the other let it dry move furniture and paint other half. Use a plastic bag around the lampshade and masking tape on the ceiling rose. Get drop cloths lay them before opening the can.
    Get a large veggie box from lidl,or Aldi big enough for the paint tray, can and roller and use this as the paint station for refilling from the open can. Store a few clean damp rags too put a black bin liner under this box so you can see big drips.
    Roll the wall area once and move on don't roll paint off. If it's a strong blue colour plan on 2/3 coats rather than trying to do it all in one go.
    A rag at the door for a quick wipe stops tracking walked on drips out into the hall.
    If the daughter is old enough give her the paint brush for painting above the skirting boards.
    If the woodwork is painted, paint the undercoat before the walls if you can to let it fully dry, a foam roller works with Satin or gloss.
    Buy a big can of white paint once you do the bedroom you will end up painting the hallway and then every room in the house :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement