Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It's changed since I've last looked then. In that case Dublin should be entering an intermediate team into Leinster. That would be a lot fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Any takers for 5 points a goal in football hurling?

And banning the fisted goal in football? Not complicated and no fuss.

Might make the games more open?

And would especially lower the value of effective 'freetaking competitions' in hurling where the freetaker could easily get 15 plus.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Another simple one is countdown timer like in the ladies football should be used in both men's codes.

It stops when play stops simple. Everyone knows where they stand and would cut out a lot of the messing of teams trying to waste time because of a fella in the sin bin.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

This would improve things so much in football and make like easier for refs.

Great for fans as well they know exactly what is going on, in tight games eyes are quickly drawn to it. Baffles me why it is not used in the mens just common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There hasn't been a Connacht Hurling championship since the 90's and even then it only lasted a few years. Before that you have to go back about 70 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Time for you to look outside of Leinster Football

Nobody wants Dublin in Leinster. You're not a regular county and you're gifted artificial advantages all because you were the worst county pound for pound over a 16 year period.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jack67

Agreed time to scrap Leinster , but surely you agree its time to scrap Munster seeing as there's no appetite to remove Kerry ? Or is this another of your anti Dublin rants only ?

• Advertisement

Ah here that post is really really childish mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I enjoyed the provincial championships before the finals. There was an interesting battle in all provinces to make the finals. Clare beating Cork and Limerick. Down beating Donegal. Offaly beating Meath.

After three disappointing finals, I'd be in favour of the provincial championships before the league. The provincial winners can be guaranteed All-Ireland qualification. With the Tailteann winner also already qualified, teams will go into the league with a clear picture of the 11 qualifying spots available through the league.

Not a bad idea really , much better than the poster on here wanting Dublin dumped out of Leinster anyway

Not a bad idea really , much better than the poster on here wanting Dublin dumped out of Leinster anyway

Just look at Munster hurling and Connaught football championship. That's what Leinster football would be without Dublin. Leinster hurling and Connaught football can be decent some year's aswell.

Was watching a few old game's, Wexford beating Meath in 2008, Meath drawing with Kildare in 1997. So many good year's the provincial had. Big crowds big excitement.

It's incredible how the GAA used Dublin to destroy that. All because they wanted Dublin to win the AI.

Without Dublin you'd see the province recover. Louth v Offaly and Kildare v Laois would have been the Semi's this year. The scene's in croker would have been amazing.

Its incredible Meath cant get there act together so it is

I would merge weak former traditional counties that are mismanaged Kildare and Meath. They might be able to cobble together a half decent side out of the two teams.

Joint managers as well one from Kildare and one from Meath. This is to make sure that neither the Meath manager or the Kildare manager will be blamed for any failure fully. And both will then be able to have plausible deniability, and blame their counterpart.

• Advertisement

It still wouldn't be worth celebrating when Dublin beats this amalgamation by 15 points.

😏 only beat Kildare in Leinster Semi Final by 2 points , and really Kildare should have won , now merging Kildare and Meath together , poor aul Dublin would be bet by 15+

Shows how bad Dublin are pound for pound and why the GAA needed to directly intervene.

Great for the games in the capital but as we've seen damaged it elsewhere and killed off the Leinster championship.

This all could have been avoided if other counties we're getting at least 500k a year while Dublin got over a million. And a cut of the Bertie fund would have been nice too.

We don't need to be on even term's and by we I mean other Leinster counties, to beat you lot but it was so one sided nobody had a chance.

Nonsense Meath and kildare etc , took there eye of the ball , let there standards drop and didnt change with the times , Dublin got a golden generation of talented players and developed into one of the best teams ever . Plenty of Counties were able to put it up to Duiblin during this period , Mayo , Kerry tyrone , Donegal Monaghan etc .

Why is the focus on Dublin constantly in your head? Plus it seems you don't really pay attention to actual games judging by the comment above.

I mean this thread is changes in the GAA.

The relevant questions should instead be:

How have the poor 'Royals' got on overall in last decade or so?

How can they be helped?

The main one namely -

Should there be rule changes to help Meath specifically?

--

Here are few 'highlights' of Meath football over the last decade or so -

2006 -2019 Meath out of division 1 NFL

Special mention to Meath relegation to Div3 - 2012

Westmeath beating Meath 2015

Longford beating Meath 2018

I mean an answer to Meath's woes could be to exploit the 'parentage rule' in GAA Rule book.

It is under Chapter 6 Playing Eligibility/Transfers/Declarations

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/wqyurc9ptfa4hto2ypby.pdf

S6.3 - therein -

(a) With a particular County if:

(i) Either of the player’s parents at the time of the member’s birth were permanently resident in that County. 76

(ii) That County is the County of the first Club of either of his parents.

This is a section Kerryman Conor Cox availed of to play for Roscommon, as he was entitled to under the rule.

This transfer 'parentage rule' was discussed by Colm Keys in 2019 below:

Keys also details how many recent Dublin born players move to other counties, to play intercounty football.

However, I believe this Section will be of no help to Meath because at this stage, how many players with Meath parents would be attracted to play for the county? For fear of embarrassment alone, you would steer well clear.

But I think there is a simple change that 'might' help Meath -

Have it stipulated in the rules that every player facing the Royals has to wear these -

BLINDFOLDS!

My suggestion is -

BLINDFOLDS ARE TO BE WORN BY PLAYERS WHEN PLAYING AGAINST MEATH.

A rule change when playing what is commonly known as 'The Royal County'.

Kepak could sponsor it? Or Tayto? A great advertising opportunity with the logos on the blindfolds. Bringing in revenue for Meath GAA.

And a secondary suggestion maybe also supply supporters of Meath's opponents with noise cancelling headphones, to drown out their crying when they still lose! Those too, could be sponsored more revenue for Meath GAA

At least some Meath people (such as Bernard Flynn) realise Meath's decline was their own fault. But that admission is rarity.

“This hasn’t happened overnight,” Flynn declared. “We’ve let it slip, and it’s our own fault. I mean, lack of work going back years has been well documented.

“But the biggest single thing over the last 10 years, I strongly believe, and I think it could be the very same in Down . . . the leadership at the very, very top of a county has to be proper, has to be right'

Martin McHigh gave the neutral opinion that Meath have gone soft since the Celtic Tiger.

Here are his comments in 2015 after Meath edged past Wicklow by four points in 2015.

'They’re a big county, they’ve a big population and have the tradition of being a very, very strong Gaelic county, and I don’t know, maybe the players are not coming through, maybe through the Celtic Tiger they had it too good.'

And McHugh is correct Meath's population has skyrocketed according to the last census 2022 -

'Census figures released: Meath's population grows by 12.9% in six years

The population of Meath has grown by a staggering 25,000 residents since 2016, representing a +12.9% jump.'

--

So yeah - blindfolds might be the answer for Meath's opponents? Population does not help, tradition does not help. The 'leadership' intangible that Meath are looking for seems non-existent.

Blindfolds would be a much cheaper and faster way to help Meath Men's football. Far cheaper than the Meath GAA centre of excellence, for example.

You have to ask does throwing money at the problem of Meath GAA help?

2022 - 'There was some great news today for Meath GAA at the announcement of the sports capital grants.

The largest in the history of the state saw Dunganny Meath GAA Centre of Excellence allocated €256,863'

This Centre of Excellence in Meath has been on the go since 2015. That is 8 years ago!!!

It seems like money well spent???

When it was opened in 2015 it cost 2 million euros -

'Croke Park pledged a further €500,000 and Leinster Council €200,000. The total cost of the building project was in the region of €2m plus fit out costs with funding sourced from Lottery, Croke Park and leinster Council.'

--

It is just money wasted in my opinion. The GAA should be far more economical when it comes to Meath GAA.

Surely blindfolding Meath's opponents would cost a lot less than that? There should be a special stipulation in the GAA rule book - that blindfolds must be worn by players facing Meath etc.

I don't know why nobody thought of it before?

Simple and cost effective saving Croke Park and the Leinster Council a lot of money in future.

And such a rule change brought to the GAA 'might' help Meath GAA win a few matches.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I think Dublin should not be allowed to play let’s dance when they enter the pitch at Croke Park, obviously a massive advantage to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Was there a separate thread for talking Dublin changes?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058005558/the-dominance-of-dublin-gaa-mod-warning-post-1#latest

No that is not Dublin changes it is certain fans/posters of certain counties moaning about Dublin. It noticeably died off once the 10 in a row didn't come to fruition.

--

Anyway, back on topic watching the matches today - hot day etc - what about introducing a second ref?

Looking at the whole GAA structure currently, this is what I would like to see

No provincials - scrap the Micky mouse winter competitions - O'Byrne Cup McGrath Cup etc - clear the league - have a proper hybrid League/Championship.

Four groups of four - as I figure there is about 16 teams in Ireland that fancy themselves as 'Sam Maguire' competition teams. And the 16 or so below that have to earn the right to compete there.

Top 4 seeds - second 4 seeds - third four - fourth four (16 teams AI proper would work much better) Home and Away games (none of this neutral messing unless there is capacity issues and both teams agree) each team has 6 games in a group. Incentive for finishing top is home draw and game against second placed from another group in QF's.

Basically evening out what all the provincials should be. The top 2 go through to QF's - bottom is relegated straight to Tailteann Cup - second from bottom goes into some form of a relegation quick play off/Knockout Group with the second top seeds from the Tailteann Cup. That would be ruthless and ultra competitive.

The QF's on - are straight knock out - there should be some great line ups if that was the set up.

All this would mean MOST teams have something to play for - scrapping League and Provincials as is would leave a lot more space to play with in the calendar - space for clubs etc - proper fixture calendar. Everything would not be so rushed - nice gap between games etc

Seeding teams would solve a lot of problems and team would keep or lose their seeding on merit/demerit. Job done?

Also it would ensure quality in the latter stages of all competitions. The seeding would be based on previous performance and a coefficient formula similar to soccer could be created.

I think the GAA will get there eventually it is slowly creaking it's way towards some sort of similar set up but it might take 40 years of GAA politics to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I dont think removing the provincials is necessary when they can take at max 4 weeks. Give the winners an alternative reward if necessary. Also gives teams in 2nd tier a chance to play tier 1 sides every year which should be kept.

I agree about removing the winter pre season competitions. counties play plenty other games as warm ups anyway. you dont need a league or especially knock out cups on top of that.

Advertisement