Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

It's great to see this topic get far more publicity in recent times. It's finally getting discussed. Of course, the Dubs are trying to batten down the hatches but the genie is out of the bottle. There's now no one in doubt about how they have come into a position of dominance in football. The ludicrous amount of funding they have received has turned them into an unstoppable force. Many haven't realised that the improvements in hurling, underage, Ladies games and the club scene have been just as staggering. The senior footballers claim the headlines though and they are the reason this is gaining so much coverage. I think at this stage, some Dubs are hoping they lose!
    Although this is now being discussed all across the country, the GAA won't take notice while the current president is in charge. We've seen this already with some of his insulting comments. This doesn't mean we shouldn't go to our representatives to push this topic to the forefront. Make noise now and when our next president comes in we can hope to make change.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    So it’s ok for Cork to receive 50m between the GAA and taxpayers handouts? The GDO is a different argument, I agree every club should be afforded the same opportunity, county boards fund 50% and club the other. Not all clubs in dublin can afford that either. The money Dublin received went directly into grassroots development and not on the Snr county footballers
    As some like to pedal. From 2005, what has been the gross spend in % of cash into the GAA coffers per county? Do you agree then, going forward that it should be funded per head of playing capita? I would hope that a balanced approach would be the order, unlike the lad who wants Dublin to keep finding sponsors and put the GAA money to use in every other county. Every county has dedicated volunteers, to say Dublin’s success is not on s big way down to that is doing each of us a disservice.

It's time to end the nonsense that this money has had no impact on the senior set up. The money is funding player development, this includes the elite players at underage level. We can see this has produced a huge amount of talent in both football and hurling. Having this funding from our pockets, of course, frees up money to be spent elsewhere. It's not some seperate thing, they are all linked together. It's one whole system.
    The increased success off the back of the increased funding has led to a huge increase in sponsorship. More money for Dublin to spend and they spend it on their senior set ups. Dublin's backroom teams consist of expensive, highly rated coaches and other personnel. There are other areas where money assists Dublin which I won't get into now but you can see how far Dublin are removed from the rest in their professional structures. These structures cost millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

So it’s ok for Cork to receive 50m between the GAA and taxpayers handouts? The GDO is a different argument, I agree every club should be afforded the same opportunity, county boards fund 50% and club the other. Not all clubs in dublin can afford that either. The money Dublin received went directly into grassroots development and not on the Snr county footballers
    As some like to pedal. From 2005, what has been the gross spend in % of cash into the GAA coffers per county? Do you agree then, going forward that it should be funded per head of playing capita? I would hope that a balanced approach would be the order, unlike the lad who wants Dublin to keep finding sponsors and put the GAA money to use in every other county. Every county has dedicated volunteers, to say Dublin’s success is not on s big way down to that is doing each of us a disservice.

It's time to end the nonsense that this money has had no impact on the senior set up. The money is funding player development, this includes the elite players at underage level. We can see this has produced a huge amount of talent in both football and hurling. Having this funding from our pockets, of course, frees up money to be spent elsewhere. It's not some seperate thing, they are all linked together. It's one whole system.
    The increased success off the back of the increased funding has led to a huge increase in sponsorship. More money for Dublin to spend and they spend it on their senior set ups. Dublin's backroom teams consist of expensive, highly rated coaches and other personnel. There are other areas where money assists Dublin which I won't get into now but you can see how far Dublin are removed from the rest in their professional structures. These structures cost millions.

The nonsense has ended in the other 31 counties. The only ones who defend it now are Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

It's time to end the nonsense that this money has had no impact on the senior set up. .

I think you’ll finally convince all the Dublin fans that you are right with this statement.

I know I said you could be here till the year 3000 saying it and you would get the same reply from Dublin fans but now I think you’ll finally convince them.

Seriously why do you bother? Dublin fans protect their own patch. Israelites protect their right to occupy the West Bank. Why bother going on and on trying to convince them.

If you communicated your dissatisfaction to the GAA instead of on here and stop attending games you might get something done.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I think you’ll finally convince all the Dublin fans that you are right with this statement.

I know I said you could be here till the year 3000 saying it and you would get the same reply from Dublin fans but now I think you’ll finally convince them.

Seriously why do you bother? Dublin fans protect their own patch. Israelites protect their right to occupy the West Bank. Why bother going on and on trying to convince them.

If you communicated your dissatisfaction to the GAA instead of on here and stop attending games you might get something done.

Oh, I'm not trying to convince Dublin fans. I'm just showing up the excuses, deflection and attempts to downplay the funding as absolute nonsense. This is in the hope that people from other counties are sprung into action over this. It's long past the point where we can expect honesty and a sense of fair play from Dublin supporters. It's just not going to happen. They have a strong presence in the media and the president is a Dub so they have a large voice. It's important to counter their claims and expose the truth of what's really happening. I am in contact with the GAA and I'm not the only one. We need more on board though, it's the only way that things will change. Strength in numbers. Some of our county boards are in a difficult position. They need funds from Croke Park and going against them has a strong possibility of backfiring. We've seen this happen already. I'm really encouraged about the extra exposure this has gotten recently, I think more are copping on to it and the push for change has begun. Not going to games and hitting them where it hurts is one tactic but I think some organised protests to highlight this further are called for. Maybe outside a super 8 game in Croke Park or something.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

How much did Dublin receive for Croke Park? Or rather it was handed to them free of charge. A stadium worth 500 million at least which they use as their home ground. Cork on the otherhand are lumbered with a huge debt. We can argue the pros and cons of Cork Ui Chaoimh, but historically its an important stadium that was badly in need of an upgrade. It wasn't handed over free of charge though to Cork, they had to put up significant funds themselves.

Dublin is in the superwealthy class of Gaelic football. It does not need more handouts from the GAA. If Dublin admins were truly the great administrators we are told they are, they should be well able to fundraise themselves, as every other county has to do.
    But no, fundraising is one less thing Dublin have to worry about. One less thing of many they have to worry about.
    Most people have lost count of the number of advantages handed to Dublin by the GAA.
    I can't see it changing though. The GAA and Dublin are very closely intertwined at this stage.

Oh, I'm not trying to convince Dublin fans. I'm just showing up the excuses, deflection and attempts to downplay the funding as absolute nonsense. This is in the hope that people from other counties are sprung into action over this. It's long past the point where we can expect honesty and a sense of fair play from Dublin supporters. It's just not going to happen. They have a strong presence in the media and the president is a Dub so they have a large voice. It's important to counter their claims and expose the truth of what's really happening. I am in contact with the GAA and I'm not the only one. We need more on board though, it's the only way that things will change. Strength in numbers. Some of our county boards are in a difficult position. They need funds from Croke Park and going against them has a strong possibility of backfiring. We've seen this happen already. I'm really encouraged about the extra exposure this has gotten recently, I think more are copping on to it and the push for change has begun. Not going to games and hitting them where it hurts is one tactic but I think some organised protests to highlight this further are called for. Maybe outside a super 8 game in Croke Park or something.

I'd agree protests are required. A start would be the Leinster championship. Supporters there should boycott games in a co-ordinated way until the GAA wake up and see sense. There's evidence it has already started in games against Dublin. Supporters are speaking with their feet and long may it continue. All people are asking for is a fair and even distribution of funds. Financial doping of Dublin has to end if the sport and particularly the Leinster championship is to be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I'd agree protests are required. A start would be the Leinster championship. Supporters there should boycott games in a co-ordinated way until the GAA wake up and see sense. There's evidence it has already started in games against Dublin. Supporters are speaking with their feet and long may it continue. All people are asking for is a fair and even distribution of funds. Financial doping of Dublin has to end if the sport and particularly the Leinster championship is to be saved.

Supporters are supporting their team and their players not the Leinster Championship, do you really advocate 'supporters' showing that level of disrespect and contempt to their fellow county men? This would have the exact opposite of the desired affect, there are ways and means of leting your feelings be known, turning your back on your own is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Yet Mayo spend more on their preparation. Dublin also have a Snr hurling team competing at the highest level. I tell you what, let’s leave sponsorship alone and balance the books in every county. Detailed development plans to be submitted to support funding. Limerick went to Dublin COunty board and asked for advice, look what’s happened. Money is not the answer in a lot of counties. I am an active member of my club, and guess what, none of the other volunteers get paid either.

How much did Dublin receive for Croke Park? Or rather it was handed to them free of charge. A stadium worth 500 million at least which they use as their home ground. Cork on the otherhand are lumbered with a huge debt. We can argue the pros and cons of Cork Ui Chaoimh, but historically its an important stadium that was badly in need of an upgrade. It wasn't handed over free of charge though to Cork, they had to put up significant funds themselves.

Dublin is in the superwealthy class of Gaelic football. It does not need more handouts from the GAA. If Dublin admins were truly the great administrators we are told they are, they should be well able to fundraise themselves, as every other county has to do.
    But no, fundraising is one less thing Dublin have to worry about. One less thing of many they have to worry about.
    Most people have lost count of the number of advantages handed to Dublin by the GAA.
    I can't see it changing though. The GAA and Dublin are very closely intertwined at this stage.

If Dublin were tasked with running Croke Park
    and not guests at the request of the Leinster council you would seea lot more money for everyone. The argument that CP is Dublin’s is tiresome at this stage. It is owned by the association.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Supporters are supporting their team and their players not the Leinster Championship, do you really advocate 'supporters' showing that level of disrespect and contempt to their fellow county men? This would have the exact opposite of the desired affect, there are ways and means of leting your feelings be known, turning your back on your own is not one of them.

People are free to protest as they see fit. Mass Boycotting of a championship that’s being dead for 5 years is in my opinion a very effective way of doing that.

You are protesting as a member of the GAA against the decisions taken by GAA HQ. You are not abandoning your own county.

Eamon Callaghan who played for Kildare up until last year said the following on Sunday:

Probably at the stage now where teams should boycott the Leinster championship. It’s a joke. County boards are as much to blame as @officialgaa for allowing this to happen.

Then how do they spend less in team preparation than Mayo??? Millions you say😂😂😂😂

The situation currently is pathetic. It goes beyond county affiliation, whether you are from Kerry, Dublin, Meath, Carlow or Kildare. And something radical has to be done to reverse the situation.

By large crowds attending and supporting games, people are giving two thumbs up to the GAA to continue with their current disastrous policies. Its only when people withdraw their support for a number of years that the GAA might change their minds, not in the interests of balance and fairness, they've already shown they couldn't care less about that, but purely in the interests of their own finances.

Yet Mayo spend more on their preparation. Dublin also have a Snr hurling team competing at the highest level. I tell you what, let’s leave sponsorship alone and balance the books in every county. Detailed development plans to be submitted to support funding. Limerick went to Dublin COunty board and asked for advice, look what’s happened. Money is not the answer in a lot of counties. I am an active member of my club, and guess what, none of the other volunteers get paid either.

Mayo spent money on travel expenses which was slightly above Dublin for 1 year! The huge increase in sponsorship money Dublin have received is off the back of the huge increase in funding!
    Then you use Limerick as an example in an attempt to back up your "Money is not the answer in a lot of counties" claim, are you having a laugh there? You do know that every single county has volunteers? You're not any more special than them.

Then how do they spend less in team preparation than Mayo??? Millions you say😂😂😂😂

Already busted that point.

It's great to see this topic get far more publicity in recent times. It's finally getting discussed. Of course, the Dubs are trying to batten down the hatches but the genie is out of the bottle. There's now no one in doubt about how they have come into a position of dominance in football. The ludicrous amount of funding they have received has turned them into an unstoppable force. Many haven't realised that the improvements in hurling, underage, Ladies games and the club scene have been just as staggering. The senior footballers claim the headlines though and they are the reason this is gaining so much coverage. I think at this stage, some Dubs are hoping they lose!
    Although this is now being discussed all across the country, the GAA won't take notice while the current president is in charge. We've seen this already with some of his insulting comments. This doesn't mean we shouldn't go to our representatives to push this topic to the forefront. Make noise now and when our next president comes in we can hope to make change.

When is the last minor AI that Dublin won??? Staggering improvements!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Using Limerick as an example of money not being the answer........thats comedy gold right there :D:D:D

Already busted that point.

Where I must have missed that. Even your overlord in Brazil can’t counter that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Travel expenses for players account for a huge amount of expenditure for teams particularly along the west coast. Never even mind players who work outside of their own country, the huge geographic size of those counties mean a hefty lump of cash is needed for the expenses of home based players.
    On the other hand, Dublin I believe gave all home based players in a very small geographic area.

I would also be surprised if Dublin CB need to pay gym memberships for their players (presuming they get sponsored) whereas many other CB's would.

Using Limerick as an example of money not being the answer........thats comedy gold right there :D:D:D

So are you saying they are financially doped?

• Advertisement

Travel expenses for players account for a huge amount of expenditure for teams particularly along the west coast. Never even mind players who work outside of their own country, the huge geographic size of those counties mean a hefty lump of cash is needed for the expenses of home based players.
    On the other hand, Dublin I believe gave all home based players in a very small geographic area.

I would also be surprised if Dublin CB need to pay gym memberships for their players (presuming they get sponsored) whereas many other CB's would.

So other counties are spending more in team preparation then. Thanks for confirming that

When is the last minor AI that Dublin won??? Staggering improvements!!!!

They won one in 2012, their first since 1984! They've won 4 u21 All Ireland's since the funding began, they only won one in their entire history before that! That is staggering.

Where I must have missed that. Even your overlord in Brazil can’t counter that fact.

Mayo spent money on travel expenses which was slightly above Dublin for 1 year! The huge increase in sponsorship money Dublin have received is off the back of the huge increase in funding!
    Then you use Limerick as an example in an attempt to back up your "Money is not the answer in a lot of counties" claim, are you having a laugh there? You do know that every single county has volunteers? You're not any more special than them.

So other counties are spending more in team preparation then. Thanks for confirming that

No, one county spent more on travel expenses for one year. Team preparation involves paying coaches and other backroom staff. Dublin are way out in front on this. Former World champion boxers don't come cheap.

If you bothered to read my 1st post is acknowledged the work of volunteers, I then went on to say that Dublin’s success was partly down to them. The association is built on volunteerism l.

No, one county spent more on travel expenses for one year. Team preparation involves paying coaches and other backroom staff. Dublin are way out in front on this. Former World champion boxers don't come cheap.

Could you post the breakdown on travel? Very interested in that v spend on other aspects of team prep.

If Dublin were tasked with running Croke Park
    and not guests at the request of the Leinster council you would seea lot more money for everyone. The argument that CP is Dublin’s is tiresome at this stage. It is owned by the association.

I didn't say it was owned by them. I said it is handed over to them to play their games at. No other county has that advantage with little or no debt overhang.
    And that's not even mentioning two home Super 8 games which is totally taking the p*ss.

If you bothered to read my 1st post is acknowledged the work of volunteers, I then went on to say that Dublin’s success was partly down to them. The association is built on volunteerism l.

Every county has volunteers. Not every county gets millions of euros out of our pockets every year.

Could you post the breakdown on travel? Very interested in that v spend on other aspects of team prep.

You'll have to contact the Mayo county board.

• Advertisement

Every county has volunteers. Not every county gets millions of euros out of our pockets every year.

Agreed, if funding was fair it would be based on playing numbers. Kilkenny got funded for a football team for years and never fielded. I’m really enjoying watching this Dublin team, years of not winning had taken its toll. I feel for you.

Advertisement