Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,290 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dublin have about 35 players at senior level that would start for every other county team so obviously they are bringing players through.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Edgware wrote: »
    You can use facts to prove anything

I'd sooner rely on facts than lies or opinion to prove something.

Some people look at facts and they don't like them and immediately dismiss them. They remain facts all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

2010: O'Carroll, Cooper, McCarthy, Rock.
    2012: McCaffrey, Byrne, Kilkenny, Mannion.
    2014: Byrne, Small, McCaffery, Fenton, Scully, Manion, Costello.
    2017: Murchan, Howard, O'Callaghan.

Some were there 12 and 14 but you can see the level of player you can produce when you have the highly financed development machine in operation.

Danny Byrne never played senior for Dublin.

Did Colm Basquel not win an U21 AI and was one of their stand out players?

Fenton couldn't even make the Dublin minor team. Dublin, while having huge advantages, still have no record of note at minor level. You'd have to ask why is this?
    Kerry on other hand have won 5 in a row at minor.

So who do you think has the more natural footballers?

Dublin's advantages appears to be in numbers as well as strength and conditioning, and training at U21 and senior level. Dublin players are near to professional sportsmen by this stage, whereas players in other counties have to deal with serious logistical problems such as being 3rd level students in a different parts of the country. That and the fact Dublin players can command and almost live off sponsorship and appearances fees, while the same opportunities aren't available to players in rural counties, and many of them the most talented hen decide to go abroad such as to Australia.

He picked up a knee injury which ruled him out of championship in 2011. He was on Dublin development panels from u14 up.

• Advertisement

Did Colm Basquel not win an U21 AI and was one of their stand out players?

Yes him and Evan Comerford were on 2017 team. Darren Gavin came on as sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

MD McAuley would be an example of a successful Dublin player who doesn’t have many of the traditional skills. Not many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Dublin had next to no tradition at u21 level until the millions started pouring in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAA_Football_Under-20_All-Ireland_Championship

Dublin
    Winners 5
    2003, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2017

It will be interesting to see how the switch to U20 plays out. So far Kildare have won a title. The Kerry minors of the last few years should in theory start cleaning up.

The fact its a year earlier may impact Dublin as the u21 seemed to be a grade they targeted funds. Give it a few years though they will be back to winning it every other year.

At least at minor level, natural footballers still reign supreme.

Your last line says more about you than Dublin football.

Fenton couldn't even make the Dublin minor team. Dublin, while having huge advantages, still have no record of note at minor level. You'd have to ask why is this?
    Kerry on other hand have won 5 in a row at minor.

So who do you think has the more natural footballers?

Dublin's advantages appears to be in numbers as well as strength and conditioning, and training at U21 and senior level. Dublin players are near to professional sportsmen by this stage, whereas players in other counties have to deal with serious logistical problems such as being 3rd level students in a different parts of the country. That and the fact Dublin players can command and almost live off sponsorship and appearances fees, while the same opportunities aren't available to players in rural counties, and many of them the most talented hen decide to go abroad such as to Australia.

Spouting off untruths, Brian Fentons parents decided that he should concentrate on his leaving cert, that is why he didn't play minor. If you are going to use "facts", at least get the right.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Spouting off untruths, Brian Fentons parents decided that he should concentrate on his leaving cert, that is why he didn't play minor. If you are going to use "facts", at least get the right.

Fenton had knee injury too which set him back at the time.

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    He picked up a knee injury which ruled him out of championship in 2011. He was on Dublin development panels from u14 up.

Not sure that's fully correct.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/brian-fentons-attitude-to-not-making-dublin-minors-is-an-example-for-every-aspiring-footballer-152722
    Of course, that wasn't the end for him. Far from it. Fenton was overlooked for two years of county minors and was almost ignored for a third year of under-21s as well before his Raheny club mate Paddy O'Higgins convinced Farrell to take another look at him.

Its hard to believe he was ignored for minors and most of U21. Someone took their eye off the ball. Would he have helped Dublin win at least another AI at minor, who knows. For minor, there's likely a large pick to choose from.

He was overlooked for two years at minor and two years at U21.

Nothing to do with his Leaving Cert, so its you who are spouting untruths. Well done.

I'm going to repeat the facts.

Dublin have been average at minor grade and certainly nowhere near as good as Kerry.

They've been very good at U21 grade and very good at senior grade.

I don't particularly care how people interpret these facts, each to their own. One opinion is as good as the next.

The defensiveness of some people is hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I haven’t time to read everything so could someone give me the jist of why Brian Fenton’s underage career has made it into this thread?
    I hope nobody has let it slip he’s a cyborg sent from the future.

Dublin have been average at minor grade and certainly nowhere near as good as Kerry.

I don't particularly care how people interpret these facts, each to their own. One opinion is as good as the next.

It’s not defensive, I’m on your side of the debate on funding /Dublin’s advantages. I just don’t agree with the massive assumptions and conclusions you draw from Dublin being better at under 21 than minor.

He was overlooked for two years at minor and two years at U21.

Nothing to do with his Leaving Cert, so its you who are spouting untruths. Well done.

I am telling you his parents decided he would concentrate on the leaving, there in lies the problem, poorly researched journalism being quoted by people who know no better, it reminds me of the little army of minions the spewing overlord from Brazil has. No creitable journalism, just rinse and repeat the same garbage for long enough and people will buy into it.

But your original point was Dublin were dominating at minor until someone pointed out they hadn't. Get you argument straight at least!!!!!!!!!

But your original point was Dublin were dominating at minor until someone pointed out they hadn't. Get you argument straight at least!!!!!!!!!

Can you quote the post I said that in?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    It’s not defensive, I’m on your side of the debate on funding /Dublin’s advantages. I just don’t agree with the massive assumptions and conclusions you draw from Dublin being better at under 21 than minor.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, as I can't see us agreeing on it.

Can you quote the post I said that in?

Apologies, It was another poster.

• Advertisement

Apologies, It was another poster.

Apology accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭gaffer91

@tobefrank123- I agree with basically everything you've posted. It's impossible to get any Dublin supporters to see the wood for the trees on the problem of Dublin overfunding however. They'd genuinely rather see the game destroyed at inter-county level than have their unfair advantages taken away.

Their response are tired and predictable and have been debunked many times (this doesn't stop them churning them out over and over again though, rest assured).

They generally argue initially that Dublin haven't actually received any extra money relative to other counties. When this is easily proven false, they argue it doesn't make a difference to results. This is on the grounds that "money doesn't kick the ball over the bar" or "there's only 15 men out on the field, other counties need to step up".

They also argue that their success is because their volunteers are just so dedicated, as if this wasn't the case in any other county.

Throw in a few spurious comparisons to Kilkenny a few years ago, completely neglecting the two teams are like chalk and cheese in terms of funding/ population/ endless home advantage.

Any suggestion to split their millions in sponsorship money with other counties is met with hostility.

Eventually, after all these arguments are picked apart, they say they only care about the kids in Dublin and make a few snide comments about jealousy in other counties.

Then some other poster from Dublin who hasn't read a word of the thread comes along and claims Dublin haven't received any extra money relative to other counties and the whole process repeats itself.

Thanks Gaffer, its nice to get a bit of support on here.

The cheque is in the post.

(Joke :) )

It's funny, any of my Dublin friends who don't watch or care about GAA happily acknowledge the litany of advantages that Dublin has over other counties

So why bother argue with Dublin fans if we all know what they are going to say? The same old tired easily disapproved bull**** arguments.

There are better ways of combatting the issue then on here.

gaffer91 wrote: »
      @tobefrank123- I agree with basically everything you've posted. It's impossible to get any Dublin supporters to see the wood for the trees on the problem of Dublin overfunding however. They'd genuinely rather see the game destroyed at inter-county level than have their unfair advantages taken away.

No they dont wan to see the games destroyed. We are a dual county.

Their response are tired and predictable and have been debunked many times (this doesn't stop them churning them out over and over again though, rest assured).

As is the response from most people who argue using figures from a twitter troll who lives in Brazil. Rinse and repeat and people will believe if you keep rehashing again and again.

They generally argue initially that Dublin haven't actually received any extra money relative to other counties. When this is easily proven false, they argue it doesn't make a difference to results. This is on the grounds that "money doesn't kick the ball over the bar" or "there's only 15 men out on the field, other counties need to step up".
      Never used that myself, but i have seen the opposite by posters who just want to argue.

They also argue that their success is because their volunteers are just so dedicated, as if this wasn't the case in any other county.

Every county has excellent volunteers, it is a fact. The lads and lassies in Dublin who do the same as every other volunteer are no better or worse, but to read some posters, they are all highly paid individuals.

Throw in a few spurious comparisons to Kilkenny a few years ago, completely neglecting the two teams are like chalk and cheese in terms of funding/ population/ endless home advantage.

Population is something that cannot be addressed, it is a county after all, or are you with Spewan on the split in four campaign? Home advantage? where is that then, in CP, thats not our home ground for the last time, PP is. We just oblige th GAA playing there to raise funds for games development in every county. Funding can be prorata to participation levels.

Any suggestion to split their millions in sponsorship money with other counties is met with hostility.
      So Dublin generate sponsorship at their own cost and hard work, but should share it with everyone, communism springs to mind!!!!!!

Eventually, after all these arguments are picked apart, they say they only care about the kids in Dublin and make a few snide comments about jealousy in other counties.
      Kids in every county need nurturing. The snide remarks are usually directed at Dublin folk.

Then some other poster from Dublin who hasn't read a word of the thread comes along and claims Dublin haven't received any extra money relative to other counties and the whole process repeats itself.
      Link the quote for me please.

So why bother argue with Dublin fans if we all know what they are going to say? The same old tired easily disapproved bull**** arguments.

There are better ways of combatting the issue then on here.

Well Dots, you could contact the GAA about it, but they also respond with the same old tired easily disapproved bull**** arguments, John Horan the latest in recent days. Its like they are singing off the same hymn sheet. Basically nothing to see here, Dublin's dominance only temporary, only a matter of time before Meath or Kildare come back, think of the Dublin kids won't ya, others need to get their house in order, Dublin's volunteers are better than everyone else's volunteers, blah blah blah.

Going through the GAA is also a waste of time. Pundits get laughed at when they mention wildly disproportionate funding or called jealous. GAA delegates are sheep only interested in expenses, free pints and tickets. They hardly have the eloquence to describe the problem and most are puppets of GAA HQ.

I do agree with people protesting though, with their feet by boycotting from next year on the championship. The evidence is many people are doing that already.

Maybe when a Leinster final is played on front of 20,000 in a couple of years, the GAA might wake up. Even then I'm not sure.

Link the quote for me please.

This post will have someone from the other side coming back on it now and away we go for another 10 pages.

This post will have someone from the other side coming back on it now and away we go for another 10 pages.

You are correct, I might just unfollow for my own sanity!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Who on earth is this twitter troll you are on about?

The funding figures are widely available and well documented.

And yes kids in every county need nurturing. Finally a breakthrough!

Advertisement