Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Kildare have beaten Dublin in four Leinster finals since 1884.

Clare have beaten Kerry in one.
    Leitrim and Sligo have similar stats with Galway and Mayo.
    Fermanagh have never won Ulster.
    That's the way things are. What can you do?

What can you do?" This is an easy response for somebody on top of the heap.

"Do you think it's fair that in the last 10/15 years the GAA have focussed so much resources on one county compared to the likes of Fermanagh, Clare, Leitrim or sligo?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The entire funding system by the GAA is a mess and there's no hope of a balanced championship while it remains in place.

Counties should be funded on the same level per registered player as a start. After that struggling counties should be given extra funds. So give greatest extra funds to division 4 teams, and reduce it for teams in higher divisions. Over the course of many years of this, you'd eventually see the effects on weaker counties who will gradually improve. Alternatively you can assign extra games development officers to these counties.

Successful counties should not be given extra funds as is happening today. I don't care how many kids are not playing the sport. The wealthy counties have more than enough financial resources to cover games development. As it stands, despite all the extra GDF, there is no evidence of serious participation in some counties among people from ethnic minorities or non nationals. No evidence of people from these backgrounds in county senior, u20 or minor teams of both genders, despite millions spent allegedly to spread the game. The GDF is being abysmally misused in these cases.

And anyone who says they are opposed to funding redistribution can get lost. They know funding matters and they are determined to shout down anyone who wants a piece of the pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

threeball wrote: »
    Why are your posts always so bitter. You can't respond without a remark about how everyone's out to get you.
    Don't worry your drive for 5 is safe.

I don't give two farts about the "drive for five."

What would I be bitter about?

the bile is in the other pancreas, I think you shall find. not particularly yours. You seem one of the more level headed obsessives. Oiche Mhaith :)

I don't give two farts about the "drive for five."

What would I be bitter about?

the bile is in the other pancreas, I think you shall find. not particularly yours. You seem one of the more level headed obsessives. Oiche Mhaith :)

As porkies go that's a pretty big one. :) oiche mhaith to you too.

What can you do?" This is an easy response for somebody on top of the heap.

"Do you think it's fair that in the last 10/15 years the GAA have focussed so much resources on one county compared to the likes of Fermanagh, Clare, Leitrim or sligo?

You look at the history of our association. Founded 1884. Tried to be destroyed by the Catholic Church and the Brits in 1891 during the Parnell split.

Now, curiously, at least three of the counties you refer to closed down under fear of both. Let the priests and the RIC tell them how to spend their fkn Sundays. Not sure about Clare, they probably had more balls.

Now. Guess which counties did not tow the line?

Well, I'll make it easy for you: Tipp, Cork, Kerry, Dublin, Kilkenny.

What have they got in common? Mmmmm?

• Advertisement

It's funny, any of my Dublin friends who don't watch or care about GAA happily acknowledge the litany of advantages that Dublin has over other counties

A load of people who have no idea about the GAA agree with you......and you think this is a good thing?

You look at the history of our association. Founded 1884. Tried to be destroyed by the Catholic Church and the Brits in 1891 during the Parnell split.

Now, curiously, at least three of the counties you refer to closed down under fear of both. Let the priests and the RIC tell them how to spend their fkn Sundays. Not sure about Clare, they probably had more balls.

Oh wow we're back in 1891 now are we?

You really are going back far to justify why Dublin should get more GDF than everyone else. Because they sided with Parnell? Laughable!

Interested to hear your next reason why you think Dublin is so great! You remind me of the priest on Fr. Ted who felt he should get both parachutes on the plane in case one didn't work :)

A load of people who have no idea about the GAA agree with you......and you think this is a good thing?

I think what she meant was the man/woman on the street can see the blatant bias of the GAA towards Dublin and you don't have to be a GAA expert to see it. She's right about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

The entire funding system by the GAA is a mess and there's no hope of a balanced championship while it remains in place.

Counties should be funded on the same level per registered player as a start. After that struggling counties should be given extra funds. So give greatest extra funds to division 4 teams, and reduce it for teams in higher divisions. Over the course of many years of this, you'd eventually see the effects on weaker counties who will gradually improve. Alternatively you can assign extra games development officers to these counties.

Successful counties should not be given extra funds as is happening today. I don't care how many kids are not playing the sport. The wealthy counties have more than enough financial resources to cover games development. As it stands, despite all the extra GDF, there is no evidence of serious participation in some counties among people from ethnic minorities or non nationals. No evidence of people from these backgrounds in county senior, u20 or minor teams of both genders, despite millions spent allegedly to spread the game. The GDF is being abysmally misused in these cases.

And anyone who says they are opposed to funding redistribution can get lost. They know funding matters and they are determined to shout down anyone who wants a piece of the pie.
    You're mixing up player development funding with funding county teams, they're 2 different things, should limerick city have GAA development funds cut because the county team happens to be good at the moment? Thats a sure fire way of killing GAA in a particular place and giving rugby, soccer, hockey etc. a free run, same principle for parts of dublin. I agree the money should be distributed more evenly but you cant simply say this the amount of registered players, this is how successful you are and then cut a cheque for an amount, thats a sure fire way of throwing money down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Successful counties should not be given extra funds as is happening today. I don't care how many kids are not playing the sport.

Thankfully the GAA does, there is alot more to football then the top elite level.

The more successful you get the less your school's and clubs get. Makes a sort of warped sense for Dublin, what about Leitrim become a Division 1 team? All the good work and good people working within the county get let go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

gaffer91 wrote: »

It's sad really though- I always imagined a team winning five in a row would be an awesome group of players who every fan could respect on some level, even if they weren't your own county. Not some financially doped juggernaut with every advantage under the sun and therefore a big asterisk beside their victories.

This is it.

I really don’t think ppl in Dublin realise how little regard and respect the gaa public have for their “success” over the last while.

Maybe they’ve no interest in how the Dublin team are regarded but I suppose the easiest way to put it is Dublin have fooled nobody.

The success was based on inherently unfair and unequal funding and ridiculous population advantages.

There’s no glory there. Quite the opposite.

Jim G would admit as much if pressed on it by the media. How could he not? It’s clear as day.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Thankfully the GAA does, there is alot more to football then the top elite level.

The more successful you get the less your school's and clubs get. Makes a sort of warped sense for Dublin, what about Leitrim become a Division 1 team? All the good work and good people working within the county get let go?

Wrong, they largely only care how many kids in Dublin are playing, they've made no bones about that and have devoted everything to that cause. Dublin kids more important and need more resources than every other county's kids, is their policy.

If Leitrim became a division 1 team, GDOs are reassigned to other counties. Gradually the rising tide will lift everyone, unlike the current messed up system where a Dublin Tsunami swamps everyone.

I think any GAA fan has plenty of regard for Dublin as they are a phenomenal team. That's an objective fact.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    You're mixing up player development funding with funding county teams, they're 2 different things, should limerick city have GAA development funds cut because the county team happens to be good at the moment? Thats a sure fire way of killing GAA in a particular place and giving rugby, soccer, hockey etc. a free run, same principle for parts of dublin. I agree the money should be distributed more evenly but you cant simply say this the amount of registered players, this is how successful you are and then cut a cheque for an amount, thats a sure fire way of throwing money down the drain.

So helping weaker counties is sure fire money down the drain?

Guess what the GAA is being killed already. Most counties are falling further and further behind at inter county level. So there's two choices. Let them fall even further until the whole thing becomes a massive joke - that's the route we are currently on.
    Or remove funding from the likes of Dublin and distribute it.

No amount of restructuring of the championship, bringing in tiers and the like will rescue the sport, until you seriously attempt to balance the playing field which is overwhelmingly tilted in Dublin's direction at the moment.

We're at a crossroads now - one route is Dublin sucking up a disproportionate amount of funds compared to other counties in Leinster and Leinster finals mere training matches on front of p*ss poor crowds, with Dublin also unbeatable at AI level.

Or a genuine competitive championship which is not a forgone conclusion.

Which would you prefer? I kind of know the answer, keep up the funds to Dublin, don't fund anyone else, because they can't be trusted with the money, allegedly. Which of course is also the Dublin mantra. Dublin have better volunteers, players work harder, money spent better and all that sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Some serious similarities to the Brazil one in some the posting here. Keep repeating and they will believe. And the pure hatred in some posts. It’s about the GAA not Dublin honestly😂😂😂😂

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Some serious similarities to the Brazil one in some the posting here. Keep repeating and they will believe. And the pure hatred in some posts. It’s about the GAA not Dublin honestly��������

What exactly are you trying to say and who is this Brazil person you keep referring to?

Accusing someone of being someone they aren't is a very serious accusation on here and scraping the barrel, but why am I not surprised you'd do that?

You were caught out with one lie before. Looks like you are trying another one now. Its making you look pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Do you think it's fair that in the last 10/15 years the GAA have focussed so much resources on one county compared to the likes of Fermanagh, Clare, Leitrim or sligo?

Per capita I imagine they do quite well.

As for "fairness", what does that mean?

Two teams of 15 take the pitch. Best one wins.

Maybe we should have something like those social worker games of musical chairs where no chair is ever taken away. Or games that always end in a draw.

The ideology underlying this bullsh1t murdered millions by the way under Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot.

It is hatred of success and devotion to brilliance. Heard the same cr@p about the Kilkenny hurlers who were the "Tyrone of football" according to one chap. indeed, Tyrone were the "Kilkenny of football" because they had the audacity not to drop their shorts for the Princes of the Pigskin.

Life is unfair. Ask Jeremy Corbyn or the idiots who bring Hamas flags to GAA matches :-)

Maybe we should have something like those social worker games of musical chairs where no chair is ever taken away. Or games that always end in a draw.

The ideology underlying this bullsh1t murdered millions by the way under Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot.

It is hatred of success and devotion to brilliance. Heard the same cr@p about the Kilkenny hurlers who were the "Tyrone of football" according to one chap. indeed, Tyrone were the "Kilkenny of football" because they had the audacity not to drop their shorts for the Princes of the Pigskin.

Life is unfair. Ask Jeremy Corbyn or the idiots who bring Hamas flags to GAA matches :-)

Unsurprising you'd struggle with the concept or meaning of fairness.

Fairness means one team not given every possible advantage over the other before a ball is kicked.

I'd summarize Gaelic football today as a sport in which Dublin are given every possible advantage over their opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My solution is boycott by every county until some sense fairness is achieved and not the absolute circus it has become.

basic equality of funding and a realization that Dublin has inbuilt advantages that need to be addressed.

Funding set up so that per head the player in Leitrim gets same as Dublin player.

Increased investment in facilities in all counties outside Dublin to bring them up to something approaching Dublin’s inherent advantages. It’ll never be truly equal due to Dublin being a capital city with every sort of facility available whereas the rest of the country is largely rural and requiring extra development. But a start should be made

2/4 way split of Dublin for a start to address the ludicruous population advantages.

It’s not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

A lot of strange waffle here. Is your main point is that it was never fair to begin with/life is unfair?

I’m going to go with that anyway.

It’s true the intercounty structure is always going to be weighted in favour of the highest population.

The thing is now is that people don’t want to watch it anymore. Unfairness was grand if people were interested.

Now they aren’t. That’s the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Teams having to play “neutral” matches in Croke Park against Dublin should get reduced tickets through their clubs to compensate for the increased cost of travel.

These teams should also get an allowance for the cost of taking the team to Dublin the night before and paying big money in a hotel to put the team up.

The Hill should be open for all games. It isn’t just Dubs who want to stand (or maybe it’s because the ticket is a bit cheaper!).

Teams playing Dublin in a “neutral” game in Croke Park shouldn’t be asked to throw in at 6 or 7 on a Saturday evening.

Those are all things that should be done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Those are Palestinian flags. Interring to hear Stalin et al brought into the discussion. It can’t be both survival of the fittest and massive aid delivered by the GAA at the same time.

Fairness is when both teams are treated as equals. Unfairness is when they are not. Like the Super 8 game last year between Donegal and Dublin. Hence the, slight, change this year for the opening game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

doc_17 wrote: »
    Teams having to play “neutral” matches in Croke Park against Dublin should get reduced tickets through their clubs to compensate for the increased cost of travel.

Do we do this for all counties and games, or just ones played in Croke Park?

Would Kerry get reduced tickets for a game in Cork vs Cork?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Do we do this for all counties and games, or just ones played in Croke Park?

Would Kerry get reduced tickets for a game in Cork vs Cork?

He said a neutral game such as a Super 8 neutral game. The Munster championship doesn't operate a neutral game policy for Munster football finals.

Neutral venues and fairness in sport seem to be concepts completely foreign to many Dublin supporters if recent posts are anything to go by! They simply do not believe in taking part on an even playing field or unless the odds are heavily tipped in their favour. The odds were always tipped in their favour, but that wasn't enough. They wanted more. They wanted to win every single year. And the GAA were happy to help them out.

Dublin and the GAA would rather see the sport die than embrace fairness. Like the kid losing at Monopoly, they'd rather throw the board across the room, than see someone else win.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/dublin-finances-argument-413086

A different view. Just putting it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭gaffer91

The old "There's only 15 men out on the pitch" argument again. What utter garbage. One is a financially doped professional outfit, one is amateur. Not exactly a level playing field

Christ. We're talking about an amateur sport with an amateur ethos, not how to run an economy or society.

It is hatred of success and devotion to brilliance. .

Nah, it's hatred of one team having a dozen unfair advantages compared to everyone else. And then it's irritation when their supporters whinge and moan and deny whenever anyone points out that this is a farce.
    Life is unfair.

Glad you finally accept that Dublin are unfairly favoured.

This Dublin team have some great footballers. But I have about the same amount of respect for their success as I have for Lance Armstrong's i.e none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭gaffer91

What an absolutely terrible article. Did you write it?

Most of the arguments (What about Kilkenny?/ Mayo spent more on their county side in 2016!) have already been discredited many times. I suggest having a read of this thread and others.

All the excess funding has enabled Dublin to win many more titles than they would otherwise have been able to. Deny and obfuscate all you like, it's true.

I do agree it's not solely down to the money though. The endless home advantage and population and other advantages all play their part too.

Just for the lads and laddies who don’t seem to understand the Super 8’s format. You play one game away, one game at home and one game in CP. it never mentions neutral venue. Just clearing that up for you. Hope it helps. AA

• Advertisement

Meh. Its just more of the same Dublin are great propaganda.

There's no mention in there of all the games development officers, including I'm sure with Ballymun. As for parts of the city having no GAA, its the same in every city in Ireland. City centres are very poorly represented in GAA as are new suburbs. There are far bigger participation issues elsewhere than in Dublin. Other counties with very limited resources have made strides in bringing through non nationals to their county teams. I can't think of one such non national county player in Dublin.

There are too many exceptional players coming along at once in Dublin for it to be a fluke or once in a generation thing. Obviously these players are receiving the best training and support services money can buy, far better than other counties can compete with. If you saw an underperforming cycling team suddenly come out of nowhere dominate the sport, you'd also ask questions.

I'm of the belief that most of the top teams in GAA put in the same levels of hard work, but logistical difficulties are an issue for the likes of Donegal, Mayo, Kerry, etc. They can't train twice a day or have collective training most days. Many of their players are based in Dublin or elsewhere. Training can be a problem for these counties.

Also the lack of funds to train up the next generation. They have a difficult choice because of limited funds. Put everything into the senior team in the hope of immediate success or put everything into underage teams in the hope of success 10 years from now? They don't have the money to do both.

Dublin do not have to make that choice, they have the funds (from the GAA) to do both.

Advertisement