Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

La Bamba wrote: »
    Hi all,

I posted this in the Dublin thread but was told it may derail the thread so I have decided to post it here instead.

Basically,I am just genuinely interested in getting Dublin fans perspective on MacKenna's article from this morning. Unfotunately when it comes to his articles I feel some people ( Non dubs included) see his name and Dublin being mentioned and roll their eyes at the headline and dont read the article.However, the points raised in this article worried me:

https://punditarena.com/gaa/emackenna/ewan-mackenna-monday-dublin-advantage/

To be clear, I am not attacking Dublin with this post. I would just like to get the perspectives of actual Dublin supporters of why you may disagree with points made in the particular article.

A lot of us talk to the same people and hear and read the same peoples opinions everyday so it is difficult for our opinions to change on anything.As a person from the country who would have a lot of friends who agree with MacKenna I am merely trying to get opinions and perspectives that may differ!. I usually try twitter for a discussion like this but in my opinion the level of debate has gone to the dogs and people tend to play the man not the ball so if I got some Dubliner perspectives on this article here I would appreciate it !

Hi Ewan

naughtb4 wrote: »
    He is getting great mileage out of writing the same article for the last year

According to himself on Twitter the last 11 years! Poor bloke really has no life

the Jack's dont like what he writes cos its true, fellas will look back at this last few years in the future and take that the all irelands the Dubs won were drugged with money, give me the great kerry team any day off the week,

See you in Croker soon Tom, at least give us a game this time

crossman47 wrote: »
    The bigger advantage is having all their important games at home. And don't tell me Croke Park is not the Dubs home.

It’s not, I don’t recall being at a midweek minor or u20/21 game in Croke Park. O’Byrne Cup either. Suppose the hurlers did have a great home win in Croker against Galway a few weeks ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭La Bamba

EICVD wrote: »
    Hi Ewan

Please do not accuse me of being someone else, or use my opinion to misrepresent another person. If you wish to talk about the article in question which was the purpose of the thread please feel free to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

lukin wrote: »
    Kilmacud Crokes and Ballyboden employ two full-time coaches. Presumably their salaries are coming from the Games development funds.

I might stand to be corrected, but I believe they pay 50% of the salary for one of the GDOs from Funding, and pay the rest themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

See you in Croker soon Tom, at least give us a game this time

we might surprise you, you were lucky to beat us in the league this year so dont be so cocky,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Jaden wrote:
    I might stand to be corrected, but I believe they pay 50% of the salary for one of the GDOs from Funding, and pay the rest themselves.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Clarke, Parsons, Boyle, A Moran, D O'Connor. All of them in fact. Great players who have stood up and been counted in big games and usually only ran out of steam when Dublin brought on the fruits of their massive games development funding from the bench.

Not really 2013 Dublin were bunched Mayo didn't cop O'Gara, Cooper and O'Carroll were finished

Left Higgins marking a limping man, didn't push up on a full back line with cooper and O'Carroll out of action.

The line lost it that year not dublin subs winning it,

Then in 2017, one Dublin player McCarthy pressed Clarke's kickout and Clarke handed him 2 and put one out over the line.

That's two of the finals were not won by Dublins bench, one was because the management team was switched off and the other because the Mayo keeper had a meltdown at the worst possible time.

La Bamba wrote:
    What section of supporters did I "attack"? .

Well you attacked the Dublin supporters that's the vocabulary you've introduced into the thread.

Bonninedog didn't "attack " you but you said he did, or maybe he did. Are you ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭La Bamba

Stoner wrote: »
    Well you attacked the Dublin supporters that's the vocabulary you've introduced into the thread.

Bonninedog didn't "attack " you but you said he did, or maybe he did. Are you ok?

Please read my first message on this thread if you think I have set this up to attack Dublin supporters.

Thanks for the constructive input though throughout, Mr Moderator its appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I am a Dublin supporter, for what it's worth and I don't feel attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Jaden wrote: »

They do, which makes you wonder why the GAA don’t offer other counties the same financial support if they keep up their side of the bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I'm as anti-Dub as the best of them but I'm also mighty glad that the GAA has people of vision that realise you need to invest in the biggest population centre if you want to your games to develop.

And McKenna is a thrash jouro, populist nonsense, zero analysis. Honestly don't know anybody who takes him seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

crossman47 wrote: »
    The bigger advantage is having all their important games at home. And don't tell me Croke Park is not the Dubs home.

It’s not, I don’t recall being at a midweek minor or u20/21 game in Croke Park. O’Byrne Cup either. Suppose the hurlers did have a great home win in Croker against Galway a few weeks ago...

What's the capacity of Parnell Park? 13/14k? Surprised the Dublin County board haven't pushed on and tried to build a stadium a bit bigger.. I'm sure they could fill it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

lukin wrote: »
    Yeah and those funds pay for full-time coaches. Dublin have more full-time coaches per head of population than any other county in the country. Kilmacud Crokes and Ballyboden employ two full-time coaches. Presumably their salaries are coming from the Games development funds.
    Dublin supporters like to throw out this argument that all the funding they receive goes towards kids and promotion of Gaelic games in schools etc.
    It's utter nonsense. It doesn't matter what I say anyway because the dubs will come back with some ridiculous counter argument attempting to disprove it.
    They will say anything rather than admit their success has been helped even a little bit by the enormous sums of money given to them by Croke park.
    Nobody is saying their success is all down to money.
    They just refuse to accept that money has played any part whatsoever.

If you are going to quote facts about clubs, at least get it right. Boden have a a GDO who is 50% funded by the GAA, other 50% by the club. This is available to every club in Ireland should they wish to avail of it. The other coach is fully funded by the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

Merging this thread with the Changes in the GAA - super thread where this discussion can continue.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057890333

Can I remind all posters irrespective on what side of the argument you lie on of your obligation to post in a civilised manner.

Please desist from dragging the thread down the usual Mayo v Dublin route.

Sanctions will be applied if necessary going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What's the capacity of Parnell Park? 13/14k? Surprised the Dublin County board haven't pushed on and tried to build a stadium a bit bigger.. I'm sure they could fill it?

Probably because they realise building stadiums is not a willy measuring exercise, if other county boards(looking at you cork) realised this gaelic games would be in a much better place in other parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Mehapoy wrote: »

Probably because they realise building stadiums is not a willy measuring exercise, if other county boards(looking at you cork) realised this gaelic games would be in a much better place in other parts of the country.
    Errr no, they have Croke Park so don't neer to invest in a decent size stadium of their own.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

grimbergen wrote: »
    I'm as anti-Dub as the best of them but I'm also mighty glad that the GAA has people of vision that realise you need to invest in the biggest population centre if you want to your games to develop.

We need the games to develop everywhere equally. Not develop in one centre or county and fall behind elsewhere which is exactly the scenario the GAA have created. These guys couldn't administer a school raffle, they're woefully incompetent to the point of destroying the sport.
    Only Dublin supporters think the GAA is running the sport well, the majority of fans from the other 31 counties think the GAA chiefs are buffoons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Then how do they spend less in team preparation than Mayo??? Millions you say😂😂😂😂

I presume team preparation includes expenses paid to players for travelling and the cost of hotels etc which would be a far more significant figure for Mayo than it would be for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

ArielAtom wrote: »
    If you are going to quote facts about clubs, at least get it right. Boden have a a GDO who is 50% funded by the GAA, other 50% by the club. This is available to every club in Ireland should they wish to avail of it. The other coach is fully funded by the club.

It’s available to clubs involved in East Leinster only & it’s only been made available to them in the past year.

La Bamba wrote:
    Thanks for the constructive input though throughout, Mr Moderator its appreciated.

You were referring to your post history and negative posts you made and now regret about Dublin supporters, but you know that.

There is nothing constructive about numerous accounts used to promote content from the same source, asking the same question.

It's a familiar pattern, cleaned down account, single digit post count, onto to Dublin forum, a polite opener. Then it moves into familiar territory.

The "genuine" interest in what Dublin supporters think about another article from the same person is noted, again.

Again, I think that funds should be allocated differently, shared. I'd support it.

Restructuring, rule changing, self promoting, hit generating, format changing type threads do not really bring me to this forum. I'm here with the one account for a long time and the rules of the game and format of competition threads are on a continuous loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Errr no, they have Croke Park so don't neer to invest in a decent size stadium of their own.

That is a big issue within the GAA, the county ground vanity projects. No county should have a county ground with a bigger capacity of 10,000, then there should be 4 provincial grounds with capacities 35-50,000 and then croke park.

Why did Cork need to waste so much money to build Pairc Ui Caoimh, when Munster has other large grounds. The money that went into that could have been spent better elsewhere i.e. coaching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

kilns wrote: »
    That is a big issue within the GAA, the county ground vanity projects. No county should have a county ground with a bigger capacity of 10,000, then there should be 4 provincial grounds with capacities 35-50,000 and then croke park.

Why did Cork need to waste so much money to build Pairc Ui Caoimh, when Munster has other large grounds. The money that went into that could have been spent better elsewhere i.e. coaching

So the team with the only provincial ground situated within its borders gets home advantage in every game with an attendance of more than 10k for ever more.

Sounds like a great idea. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    So the team with the only provincial ground situated within its borders gets home advantage in every game with an attendance of more than 10k for ever more.

Sounds like a great idea. Give yourself a pat on the back.

as opposed to every county having stupid 40,000 capacity stadiums and the cost of upkeeping them then yes, those counties can spend money on something more worthwhile i.e. coaching of kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

kilns wrote: »
    as opposed to every county having stupid 40,000 capacity stadiums and the cost of upkeeping them then yes, those counties can spend money on something more worthwhile i.e. coaching of kids

Your idea of only one large ground per province is stupid. It would hugely harm counties like Cork or Kerry or Limerick if all the time they played big games they were in Thurles. Every Munster football final being in Thurles. Could you imagine?

A completely daft idea that luckily would be laughed at if anyone tried to introduce it.

If I may breakdown the figures, which going back to the original post, Ewan never does. The figures which always get talked about are Games Development funds, which are self explanatory and are aimed at the promotion of games to children.

So if for example we take the latest 2018 figures and take 6 random counties the funding allocated is as follows

Mayo EUR134,219
    Kildare EUR 341,346
    Dublin EUR 1,303,630
    Kerry EUR 197,600
    Galway EUR 184,462
    Wexford EUR 234,800

Shocking isnt it, look at Dublins figure! and this is where Ewans articles usually end when it comes to figures.

But how far does EUR1.3m go in Dublin in comparison to say EUR134k in Mayo.

As we said the funds are for games development and promotion and the only way to assess this figure is based on the the population under 18. Not the GAA playing population or the general population but child population, as the GAA is trying to develop the kids who currently play the game and also attract new kids all the time to the game.

So if we take the latest census figures the allocation broken down per child per county is as follows

Mayo EUR 3.93 per child
    Kildare EUR 5.49 per child
    Dublin EUR 4.31 per child
    Kerry EUR 5.41 per child
    Galway EUR 2.86 per child
    Wexford EUR 5.80 per child

It is actually quite an even enough spread apart from Galway, why I do not know.

But the question which should be asked, are the funds allocated to each county going into Games Development of children or something else?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Your idea of only one large ground per province is stupid. It would hugely harm counties like Cork or Kerry or Limerick if all the time they played big games they were in Thurles. Every Munster football final being in Thurles. Could you imagine?

A completely daft idea that luckily would be laughed at if anyone tried to introduce it.

I am talking about new stadiums being built, there is no way in this world Cork should have built the new Paric Ui Caoimh, there was no need for such a huge stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

As one of the main protagonists in this proves, he does not even understand the basic math of betting odds and probability.

And yet has expended probably dozens of hours of his time regurgitating statistics that he could not possibly understand either.

In all that time he might have been attending a junior cert mathematics course for adults.

Or even helping out in his local club, like others here do.

Advertisement