Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for open area to practice driving in city?

Options
  • 11-07-2018 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

In the middle of my lessons and I'm looking for an open safe area to practice what I've been learning. I'm insured and have car owner in the car with me but I still would prefer not to be on the open road until I have some proper practice on my own time under my belt.

Back in the day it was shopping centre car parks but they are all open 7 days a week and so late now! Just wondering where I could go around the 6pm that might be a bit empty.

Maybe a retail park or an abandoned site/car park? Preferably within the city limits and unfortunately 6pm is still peak time but thats what I have to work with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Places like Liosban Ind Est or the ind estates around Bothar Na Mine should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

What about the NUIG car park up near Dangan? The one near Corrib Village. It might be fairly quiet this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Bit further out than you're looking, but the Business Park in Claregalway (next to the secondary school) is a great spot for practicing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

There's a good few estates in west side that all link up- the road behind the Dunne's stores will bring you there . Good for practise

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    Places like Liosban Ind Est or the ind estates around Bothar Na Mine should do.

6pm might be a bit early for them to be empty though.

In parkmore east theres a big new empty building. I wonder if the carpark there is open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Mervue industrial estate on a Sunday morning is very quiet.
    It'll just be you and the other learner's.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

The car park of Iceland in Doughiska may fit the bill. It's open but usually a lot of space you could use. Also a ramp there you could practise hill starts on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

xckjoo wrote:
    What about the NUIG car park up near Dangan? The one near Corrib Village. It might be fairly quiet this time of year

The barrier is down lots of times unfortunately. Even at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Again a bit further out but Westlink Commercial Park in Oranmore is always quiet. Its opposite the Maldron hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Down the back of the racecourse should be quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Mervue Industrial Estate on a Sunday is ideal, few small hills to practice your hill starts and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

GMIT carpark on the weekends is excellent. Painted lines so you can practice pulling out, parking etc and a couple of hills to practice hill starts also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Just as a matter of interest are people allowed to go into Industrial Estates/ GMIT to practise?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know for sure. But if it is not marked as private or has a barrier then there shouldn't be a problem.
    Use common sense I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you obviously are choosing non-working hours the best spot in the city imo to teach people how to drive is the Business Park in Ballybrit. On weekday evenings/weekends it's pretty calm but the odd car passing. They have a carpark near the Supermacs office that is empty on weekends and I've taught a couple of people the basics in there with no issues with maybe one parked car in a huge carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

-Vega- wrote: »
    Hi guys,

In the middle of my lessons and I'm looking for an open safe area to practice what I've been learning. I'm insured and have car owner in the car with me but I still would prefer not to be on the open road until I have some proper practice on my own time under my belt.

Back in the day it was shopping centre car parks but they are all open 7 days a week and so late now! Just wondering where I could go around the 6pm that might be a bit empty.

Maybe a retail park or an abandoned site/car park? Preferably within the city limits and unfortunately 6pm is still peak time but thats what I have to work with.

TBH, your best bet is practicing on the open roads when it is quiet. I totally understand why you might be nervous about doing this, but car parks and the like are more suited to first time on the pedal scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

In around the grounds of Merlin park used to be a good spot to practise. Haven't been in there for a while so not sure how busy it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Mr Man wrote: »
    TBH, your best bet is practicing on the open roads when it is quiet.

Or help yourself to the outside lane of any of the city roundabouts during rush hours... seems to be a popular option for amateurs. ;)

I know you said you don't want to go on roads but the West. Dist. Road is very quiet late at night & has 6 roundabouts also which you can practice on.

J o e wrote: »
    Or help yourself to the outside lane of any of the city roundabouts during rush hours... seems to be a popular option for amateurs. ;)

The L and N plates I see on roundabouts are usually doing what they are supposed to. It's the "seasoned" drivers I see in the wrong lane, no indicators etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Just to give some feedback, ended up spending most of time on the Parkmore road at the weekend. Between DID Electrical and the Medtronic/Celestica Industrial Estate.
    - Long stretch of road allowing you to go up and down your gears
    - A roundabout which is usually quiet to get to know your lanes
    - Speed ramps
    - A few hill start locations
    - The odd couple of cars just for experience
    - Plenty of parking to practice reversing
    Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Advertisement