Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Melbourne

Options
  • 11-07-2018 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello hello,

I am moving to Melbourne on the 5th September! I am getting so excited but also very nervous.

I am going on a working holiday visa and I have some questions. I have browsed through a lot of the Australian threads to get some ideas.

Where should I live? Suggestions, room cost, areas
    What is a bond? Is it just a deposit?
    What is Super?

I am currently working as a Project Worker for homeless people in addiction. Is there a social care agency (like TTM in Ireland) that I could join in Australia?

Does anyone recommend a specific type of work?

Any general tips and/ or advice?

I really appreciate your help in any way you can :D

Much love,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Bond is your security deposit.

Legally, when you pay bond, the real estate/landlord/head tenant who takes your money has 3 days to lodge the money with the Bond Board to hold it. It is illegal for them to just hold it while you live there. In reality, its what a lot of people do so when it comes time to move out it can potentially be harder to get all your money back.

At the same time, when the money is lodged with the bond board it stays with them for the duration of your tenancy until you give notice to move out.
    What most people don't realise is that when you give notice to quit, they think the Landlord can only contact the Bond Board to get the bond back and make any claims (real or not) for any damages you may have caused. It's very difficult to fight this and the onus is on you to chase your money. It can happen that dishonest Landlords will try to keep some of your bond for imaginary damages.
    You can contact the bond board yourself, right before giving your notice to quit and the money gets given back to you, and the onus is on the Landlord to lodge a claim for any damages. If there are none, any dishonest landlords don't bother with the hassle.

Super is your superannuation (pension fund). It is usually a minimum of 9.5% of your salary. It's a legal obligation for an employer to pay this and they can face fines if they don't. It's rare for employers not to pay it but can happen.

So when looking at salary packages its important to note if Super is included or if it is on top of the salary.

For example a salary package of $109,500 including Super is actually a $100,000 salary, plus your 9.5% super on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AusVisa123

Hi sorry to hijack this but if your ABN does your employer have a pay you super? Im getting mixed answers on this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

AusVisa123 wrote: »
    Hi sorry to hijack this but if your ABN does your employer have a pay you super? Im getting mixed answers on this

Have a read of this:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Super-for-employers/Working-out-if-you-have-to-pay-super/Contractors/

Mixed answers usually suggests you are listening to people who don't know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

tazmcn wrote: »
    I am currently working as a Project Worker for homeless people in addiction. Is there a social care agency (like TTM in Ireland) that I could join in Australia?

My gf works in the area in Melbourne there's a few agencies out there. One is ran by an Irish woman called HCA. Another called Sendayo im sure there's more. Please be advised though, the standards and policies applied over here are miles behind at home (but that's why we're well regarded here) so that would mean if you get a nice service good you have an easy job, if you get a bad service be prepared.

If you're working in addiction please be aware the junkies here are not like the ones back home. The more often than not mellow Heroin addict is replaced by the raging and unpredictable ice addict. They can be quite funny from a distance, however actions can be quite abrupt and would seem illogical.

You will also notice over here Australians can be quite tardy or laidback. They mostly will be friendly and hospitable however service can be quite hit and miss.

Advertisement