Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman UK

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If I was chasing a Kona slot, I'd be pretty pissed at a lot of that. Very beneficial to the stronger runners.
    Not Ironman's fault but crap situation for those racing. Would hate to have paid for and trained for an Ironman branded race to be potentially facing a bike-run with a shortened bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Yip, I am signed up for this - First time going (nearly) long.

Very disappointed to see the bike cut, especially after all the hours put in to get me here, but I cannot control it, so will have to race the course I am given. As with some training sessions - Life happens

If the swim gets cut as well, then thats a different story ... :mad: , but the lake was open for swimming again this morning so hoping for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Yip, I am signed up for this - First time going (nearly) long.

Very disappointed to see the bike cut, especially after all the hours put in to get me here, but I cannot control it, so will have to race the course I am given. As with some training sessions - Life happens

If the swim gets cut as well, then thats a different story ... :mad: , but the lake was open for swimming again this morning so hoping for the best.

Good attitude to have

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

know a few locals going over to do it, haven't spoken to them in last couple of days but i think all were in good shape and i'm guessing would prefer the whole thing, but as TOTH said you deal with that is put in front of you.

what's cracking me up is slowtwitch, the yanks are having a right laugh, you'd swear they haven't ever had issues with their own races

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Ironman UK was going to be my first full iron distance sadly it was not to be. The swim was disgusting I swam off course twice as it was really hard to sight the buoys after the first turn with the sun in your eyes. The cycle was nice road surfaces not to bad. The run was tough the little hills around the course really sapped the legs. The support all over the course was amazing they really are up for the event in Bolton. I was disappointed it wasn’t the iron distance but it was a great day all the same.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Great race. Good course. Loads of wild sound people. I also ate some pie and drank some beer. Going back next year I think.

What's the bike course like in Bolton? Hilly?

Mix of pan flat and downhill. No hills. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

The year I did it it was 2,200m of climbing. That was a loooonnnnng time ago though :D

RJM85 wrote: »
    Mix of pan flat and downhill. No hills. ��
    griffin100 wrote: »
    The year I did it it was 2,200m of climbing. That was a loooonnnnng time ago though :D

Have they changed the bike course? Friend was talking about doing it and I mentioned the hills as I thought it was a fairly hilly bike.

• Advertisement

Have they changed the bike course? Friend was talking about doing it and I mentioned the hills as I thought it was a fairly hilly bike.

Yeah, there's a few hills. Did you ever do tri an mhi CXIII? Reminded me of that course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

RJM85 wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a few hills. Did you ever do tri an mhi CXIII? Reminded me of that course.

Do they still use Sheep Lane Hill? The year I did it we went up it 3 times. The rest of the course was very up and down with rough enough road surfaces in parts.

There was some hills but no long climbs. Some of the decents were fast, I found it very technical lots of turns very hard to get a good momentum on the bike.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Do they still use Sheep Lane Hill? The year I did it we went up it 3 times. The rest of the course was very up and down with rough enough road surfaces in parts.

No not this year unfortunately due to the wild fires in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Have to start with the support on the course -

the different parties going on for the cycle was just brilliant. You knew there was a hill coming up as you could hear the music blaring, cowbells ringing and cheering from a good bit away. The crowds on the run supporting were amazing, the 2 pubs on the straight out&back and then in around the town centre for each lap- what a party atmosphere.

And now for the day ... what a course for a (joe soap) first timer.

Swim start brought goosebumps with the ACDC kick-off. The water was warmer than I have ever experienced with all my OW swims being in the sea. Out to first bouy went well , but as mentioned turning for home the sun was straight in my eyes so swam on and hoped for the best. Finished in 1:10, was a little disappointed, but after checking distance I had 4127 swam, so happier with pace. Not sure if I swam astray or course was a little long.

Bike is my weakest link so set myself a target of 25km/h for the cycle and managed to hit that (6:10 for the bike). No long climbs but a couple of very sharp ones. First one caught me out as I came around the corner in wrong gear and almost came a cropper. Onwards and upwards and keep on going (1600m climbing on the clock). Roads a little rough and most of the potholes marked, although did hit a few unmarked ones on the way round. 2 laps done and back to town for the run.

4 laps for the run and each band was really earned. Sun was out so stopped at every feed station to dump water over myself. There was a nasty hill in the park at the start of each LAP and then an out and back along a main road which was 'just do it'. 5.07 for the marathon (my first) and more or less what I expected.

Overall impression - I loved the full day from start to finish. Quads a little tender Monday and Tuesday but all good today. Definitely won't be my last.

A week of easy, and then back into getting ready (as I can be) for the Lost Sheep.

the different parties going on for the cycle was just brilliant. You knew there was a hill coming up as you could hear the music blaring, cowbells ringing and cheering from a good bit away. The crowds on the run supporting were amazing, the 2 pubs on the straight out&back and then in around the town centre for each lap- what a party atmosphere.

Swim start brought goosebumps with the ACDC kick-off. The water was warmer than I have ever experienced with all my OW swims being in the sea. Out to first bouy went well , but as mentioned turning for home the sun was straight in my eyes so swam on and hoped for the best. Finished in 1:10, was a little disappointed, but after checking distance I had 4127 swam, so happier with pace. Not sure if I swam astray or course was a little long.

Bike is my weakest link so set myself a target of 25km/h for the cycle and managed to hit that (6:10 for the bike). No long climbs but a couple of very sharp ones. First one caught me out as I came around the corner in wrong gear and almost came a cropper. Onwards and upwards and keep on going (1600m climbing on the clock). Roads a little rough and most of the potholes marked, although did hit a few unmarked ones on the way round. 2 laps done and back to town for the run.

4 laps for the run and each band was really earned. Sun was out so stopped at every feed station to dump water over myself. There was a nasty hill in the park at the start of each LAP and then an out and back along a main road which was 'just do it'. 5.07 for the marathon (my first) and more or less what I expected.

Overall impression - I loved the full day from start to finish. Quads a little tender Monday and Tuesday but all good today. Definitely won't be my last.

A week of easy, and then back into getting ready (as I can be) for the Lost Sheep.

Those two bike sections you mention were crazy the support was unreal. I swam 4.49km I was all over the place (1.32). I was hoping for sub 5hr bike but I eased back the last 30km to mange my legs which felt good (5.15). The run again I was hoping for a sub 4 first time marathon but the heat and those little hills really sapped me (4.18). I really enjoyed the day and my wife and kids had a ball. I’m doing the half IM DL and IM Cork next year so back to training today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

Congratulations. It sounds like you really enjoyed the whole experience including the day itself. It'll be a few years before I can get the time to devote to training to doing a full IM, but I would definitely consider doing this one if or when I do a branded IM.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

They've taken the swim out of Hamburg on Sunday, too much algae in the water. Hard for people who train all year to hear that. Nothing you can do about that though I suppose.

Advertisement