Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dublin such a popular destination for Brazilians?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

We've very different cultures, but in my experience quite similar personalities. Brazilians tend to be happy and like a laugh, love to have a drink or ten and get messy, chatty and outgoing to talk to strangers (particularly after the drinks), quite relaxed (compared to say the Dutch or Germans who would be a good deal more formal) and with a bit of a 'laissez faire but try not to take the p*ss or hurt/offend others' attitude in general while not taking ourselves too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Don't have too many problems with south American migrants. We share a similar post colonial Catholic history and tradition, ensuring successful intehration.
    There is also significant Irish communities in Argentina and Mexico that should be prioritised when it comes to getting visa's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

This thing is a popular childrens TV character there

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGHHYuNhCf1sQ8n4cfKJwt0khp560wNAXF2t2wTeBCPLEdwz0Y

Bosco really let himself go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Bosco really let himself go

You know it's bad when you've got balls for cheeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

As many Brazilians, if not more, have recent Italian or German ancestry as have recent Portuguese ancestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Billy86 wrote: »
    You know it's bad when you've got balls for cheeks.

You’d certainly have to question some of your life choices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cobaca-copperfacejacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

As many Brazilians, if not more, have recent Italian or German ancestry as have recent Portuguese ancestry.

It’s fairly mixed. That’s more true of Argentina though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Incorrect. A person in possession of an EU passport can live in any EU member state for three months and if they don’t have the means to provide for themselves can be repatriated.

Never happens though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Dublin is where the majority of the economic activity is. People will always travel counties for a good value service. There may not be a beauty parlour in their locality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Have quite a few Brazilians in my workplace. An absolute pleasure to be around. Always pleasant, always jovial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Never happens though.

Does in countries that aren’t a soft touch. Germany as an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

cournioni wrote: »
    Not just in Dublin, plenty of them dotted around the country. Particularly in places with food processing plants from what I've seen.

Big Brazilian population here in Roscommon. Story from 15 years ago talks about how 10% of Roscommon town's population were Brazilian https://www.irishtimes.com/news/brazilians-adapt-to-life-in-roscommon-1.351543?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Only ever see white or more specifically olive skin Brazilians in Ireland who look like Europeans could as Portugese or Spanish. Even tough most of Brazil's population is mixed race just look at the Brazil football team mostly black guys or have African heritage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thebull85 wrote: »
    I have noticed an increasing number of Brazilians in Dublin in the last couple of years, a group of 8 of them now live in house on my road.

So whats the attraction with Dublin?

One of the reasons you are seeing so many is that about 3 years ago the UK stopped allowing them a get a work visa while they learn english. They changed the law which now requires them to be studying in a university which costs around £10k tuition fees per year, something that most of them cannot afford. So when the UK changed their law they came here in bigger numbers because they can go to 10 or 15 hours of english lessons and then pretty much work full time (even though their visa here limits them to 20 hours work per week we all know this is widely abused and never policed)

Another factor in the increase was a deal done between Ireland and Brazil to provide young Brazilians with an opportunity to learn english. Rumour has it part of the deal was that the Brazilian government would do their best to extradite solicitor turned conman Michael Lynn who was hiding out in Brazil for over five years at the time. Lynn has been extradicted now from a country that was supposedly safe for fugitives so there might well have been some truth in the rumour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Only ever see white or more specifically olive skin Brazilians in Ireland who look like Europeans could as Portugese or Spanish. Even tough most of Brazil's population is mixed race just look at the Brazil football team mostly black guys or have African heritage.

I think its because white braziliasn are quite a lot wealthier and can afford to come here

Having said that though Ive met dozens of brazilians in ireland who are black or mestizo or mixed

Almost 50% of brazilians are white though anyway(mostly mediterranean descent though so they won't look like northern european white), 40% are mixed, only 10% are black so they're definitely over represented in sports, 1 % native

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Stephen15 wrote: »

Football draws from the lower classes. Those of European descent tend to be, but not exclusively, from middle and upper classes. Like Kaka for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Football draws from the lower classes. Those of European descent tend to be, but not exclusively, from middle and upper classes. Like Kaka for example.

Kaka's parents were super wealthy, he grew up in one go the most expensive areas of Sao Paulo and married his the daughter of one of the board members of Christian D'oir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's easier to get into than USA, Canada or the UK and there are much better job prospects here than other places like Spain or Portugal. Do we have an open door, there seems to be thousands of them in Dublin?? I think they're very nice people and great fun to be around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Maybe because it's remotely safer than Rio!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Perhaps this is why Ireland is such a popular location for those coming here to 'study'

http://www.thejournal.ie/student-scheme-4219231-Sep2018/
    THE GOVERNMENT HAS approved a scheme which could allow up to 5,000 people from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), who originally came to Ireland to study, to remain in Ireland to work.

The scheme would apply to people who came to Ireland to study between January 2005 and December 2010 and stayed on to work. This move follows a Supreme Court judgement that former holders of student permission were entitled to have their family and privacy rights under the European Convention on Human Rights taken into account as part of their application to remain.

Court challenges were taken after the introduction of new study policy in 2011 which meant non-EEA students could only live in Ireland for a maximum of seven years. The government introduced this new policy to address abuses of the student immigration system and in particular the English language sector where in some cases students were being enrolled over long periods of time without quality course being provided.

In the court challenges, two former students sought permission to change their status allowing them to work and receive social welfare payments. In one case, a woman’s two children had joined her in Ireland and in the second case a man married another non-national in Ireland and they had a child here together.

The court found that in both cases the State had allowed the applicants to stay in Ireland without objection until the law changed and that their rights under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights should have been considered.
    We have no immigration policy in this country except that of effectively an open border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

cournioni wrote: »
    Not just in Dublin, plenty of them dotted around the country. Particularly in places with food processing plants from what I've seen.

Take Gort for example http://www.thejournal.ie/gort-brazil-galway-integration-1793970-Nov2014/

It's the laid back mentality e.g. third highest public debt in the world happily ignored :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

This bunch have a branch in Cork, have gotten their flyers through the door a few times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Church_of_the_Kingdom_of_God

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Chape drink in Diceys

Then into coppers for cheap gash. Then wowburger and a blowie outside stephens green

You can get a visa and work. Very few countries offer that. My gf is Brazilian. They are gorgeous

Agree with the over-rated bit as about poster said. Have been to Brazil several times. You don't even see many hot ones in Rio. Most are well below average. The Giselle types come from southern Brazil near florianapolis but are thin on the ground. And they are certainly not the ones that come to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

We recently imported hired one in work, she's very pretty with quite hypnotic bosoooms so she is.
    Let them on in I say:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

We recently imported hired one in work, she's very pretty with quite hypnotic bosoooms so she is.
    Let them on in I say:D

All of them, or just the bosoms?

glasso wrote: »
    Agree with the over-rated bit as about poster said. Have been to Brazil several times. You don't even see many hot ones in Rio. Most are well below average. The Giselle types come from southern Brazil near florianapolis but are thin on the ground. And they are certainly not the ones that come to Dublin.

My ex was Brazilian, she was decent enough ......... 7/8 out of 10, some of her friends were fooking utter dogs. Much like any nationality really.

Augeo wrote: »
    My ex was Brazilian, she was decent enough ......... 7/8 out of 10, some of her friends were fooking utter dogs. Much like any nationality really.

yeah but they have this internationally exalted reputation which is totally unjustified just 'cos there is one hot bird in the crowd at the world cup. huge mix of ethnic origins in Brazil - most of them not conducive to producing hotties. I'd say that the average is below a lot of countries. Colombia on the other hand....

very interesting book called " a death in Brazil" - would recommend it to anyone interested in the country's history and ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It’s fairly mixed. That’s more true of Argentina though.

Yeah loads of Argentines are of Italian descent. More Brazilians have Portuguese descent but that's often way back. Quite a few Japanese descended people in Sao Paolo too.

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    All of them, or just the bosoms?

The whole kit and caboodle I reckon:D

. Quite a few Japanese descended people in Sao Paolo too.

Interesting - I always reckon Roberto Firminio looks very Asian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Columbia and Argentina are best looking women in SA.

Brazil are overrated but that's not say they don't have any. Just not on every corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Columbia and Argentina are best looking women in SA.

Brazil are overrated but that's not say they don't have any. Just not on every corner.

Forgot Venezuela;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My understanding is that the Brazilians have a really good communications chain, very similar to the Irish and Italians in New York during the 1800s/1900s.

When someone arrives fresh from Brazilia, they'll already have the name and contact details of someone who will then hook them up and introduce them the to the wider Brazilian community. Thus they seem to pop up in "clusters", with loads of them moving into a single area at the one time.

Other nationalities who maybe aren't quite so far from home or highly-skilled workers, will move to Ireland without needing to connect to a community for assistance on the ground. So they won't "cluster" quite so much.

Same reason Nigerians, Chinese and similar "far from home" ethnic groups appear in clusters.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

wexie wrote: »
    That looks like the lovechild of Alf and Roseanne :eek:

It's like Podge T-bagged Bosco

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does in countries that aren’t a soft touch. Germany as an example.

Germany is widely and routinely mocked for being a soft touch in immigration; it's arguably the most controversial aspect of the current administration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Brazilian society is very homophobic so it's not surprising that many gay people from that country seem to be moving here to experience more personal freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭jace_da_face

Forgot Venezuela;-)

Aren't they all in Brazil now?

• Advertisement

Aren't they all in Brazil now?

Yeah Perú and Colombia as well by all accounts. On a side note I think South American women age pretty poorly (wealthy ones and actresses the exceptions) in comparison to European women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

jay0109 wrote: »
    Perhaps this is why Ireland is such a popular location for those coming here to 'study'

http://www.thejournal.ie/student-scheme-4219231-Sep2018/

We have no immigration policy in this country except that of effectively an open border.
    Ireland is remiss in setting up these schemes, they don't benefit anyone in Ireland other than providing slave labour, pizza delivery staff, rickshaw drivers.

People don't go home, they stay in Ireland.
    At a time of housing pressures it is hard to believe that Ireland still has these schemes up and running.

Who financed the supreme court case???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

seamus wrote: »
    My understanding is that the Brazilians have a really good communications chain, very similar to the Irish and Italians in New York during the 1800s/1900s.

When someone arrives fresh from Brazilia, they'll already have the name and contact details of someone who will then hook them up and introduce them the to the wider Brazilian community. Thus they seem to pop up in "clusters", with loads of them moving into a single area at the one time.

Other nationalities who maybe aren't quite so far from home or highly-skilled workers, will move to Ireland without needing to connect to a community for assistance on the ground. So they won't "cluster" quite so much.

Same reason Nigerians, Chinese and similar "far from home" ethnic groups appear in clusters.

Yeah and add to this when one leaves an apartment another one of their compatriots is there straight away to take there place.

Landlords are scum, Irish people have no chance in the current rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Brazilian here. Actually the places in Ireland full of Brazilians are not near Dublin. Gort, Kilbeggan, Ballyjamesduff, Roscommon, Ennis, Newcastle West, Carlow, these are the towns where Brazilians live. They arrived in 1999 after being collected with working visa in a meat factory in a city called Anapolis, to work on meat factories in Ireland. The number increased till 2008 when many of them returned home, and started to increase since then.

Yeah Perú and Colombia as well by all accounts. On a side note I think South American women age pretty poorly (wealthy ones and actresses the exceptions) in comparison to European women.

Brazilian women are very ugly and most of them very americanized, no Brazilian man fancy on marry some of them. Those countries you mentioned around Brazil are even much worse, in Peru they are very short and fat, they look like under counter fridge, they have almost no mediterranean people there, people are amerindian. I lived few months in Peru and feel like a giant. After returning to Brazil I did find any woman beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Das Reich wrote: »
    Brazilian women are very ugly and most of them very americanized, no Brazilian man fancy on marry some of them. Those countries you mentioned around Brazil are even much worse, in Peru they are very short and fat, they look like under counter fridge, they have almost no mediterranean people there, people are amerindian. I lived few months in Peru and feel like a giant. After returning to Brazil I did find any woman beautiful.

Under counter fridge- your my new favourite poster!
    I do tend to agree with you though having lived in New York, the Ecuadorian women were the same and a lot of the Mexican women as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

imme wrote: »
    Ireland is remiss in setting up these schemes, they don't benefit anyone in Ireland other than providing slave labour, pizza delivery staff, rickshaw drivers.

At a time of housing pressures it is hard to believe that Ireland still has these schemes up and running.

One could guess that the The Immigrant Council of Ireland was involved; especially after listening to their glee on radio today discussing the court case outcome.

If you think about the approximate 5,000 who could now stay in Ireland and get welfare after this court case, it is shocking when you think how this number will increase drastically with the reunification scheme that the Government ridiculously approved.
    Don't forget that welfare is not just dole; it is children's allowance, medical cards, free housing, and the magical welfare list goes on and on.

imme wrote: »

No I have a question for Irish for any other European.

I am not saying immigration is good, I am even against it, but why they complain about south americans or chinese, most of them work and are not muslim, and at the same time they not only open the doors to gypsies and muslims but they go to their countries to bring them here. It sounds a paradox, I see the same in UK, they talk about Polish and yet they country is filled with people that have only one thing in mind, convert Europe to islam. As Polish people are white and catholic, then can be blamed without been called a racist, I did read a comment below about how Brazil is homophobic, really? In Brazil gay marriage was allowded in 2013 even before than Ireland.

Why Irish, English and other Europeans, they feel free to bash Chinese, Eastern European and some other non muslim nationalities, but when it comes to talk about muslims they all get affraid? I would like to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Brazillians of what?

I meant that the Venezuelans are ending up in Perú and Colombia as well, not just Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

No I have a question for Irish for any other European.

I am not saying immigration is good, I am even against it, but why they complain about south americans or chinese, most of them work and are not muslim, and at the same time they not only open the doors to gypsies and muslims but they go to their countries to bring them here.
    It sounds a paradox, I see the same in UK, they talk about Polish and yet they country is filled with people that have only one thing in mind, convert Europe to islam. As Polish people are white and catholic, then can be blamed without been called a racist, I did read a comment below about how Brazil is homophobic, really? In Brazil gay marriage was allowded in 2013 even before than Ireland.

Why Irish, English and other Europeans, they feel free to bash Chinese, Eastern European and some other non muslim nationalities, but when it comes to talk about muslims they all get affraid? I would like to hear.

I don't know if I'd agree with including Ireland along with UK or most other countries in Europe. I don't think many people "feel free to bash" any group of immigrants. There doesn't seem to be much complaining either.
    There has been very high immigration here for most of the past 20 years now, none of the main political parties are questioning it/calling for a clamp down & there is no far right party pushing the issue. Some people definitely do think it is too high (and will comment on likes of this thread), but its obviously something the public is not highly concerned about and its not something they will vote on as a single issue.
    Otherwise there would be Irish versions of parties like the [pretty much] single-issue ones getting support across the EU (UKIP, AfD etc) and as yet we don't have these.

As regards "gypsies" one thing that has to be noted is they are different to S. American & Chinese immigrants as they are Europeans from EU member states and fully entitled to avail of EU freedom of movement.

Muslims (in the UK) may cause a lot of problems (compared to Polish or S. American or Chinese immigrants) but the muslims there are not "immigrants" any more. I mean most of them would be 2nd or 3rd generation at this point...
    Part of it might also be issue of being cast as a racist when expressing anti-immigrant sentiments towards muslims. Another factor IMO is the UKs anti-EU attitudes - they consider the arrival of the Polish/Eastern Europeans as an imposition from the EU (freedom of movement) while in a sense the muslims were "their" immigrants brought in from the former Empire. Another issue of course is that, as I said, muslims themselves are well settled in the UK. Some of them might not exactly be happy about an influx of new immigrants & consider them taking potential visa spots + jobs from extended family members. I think that was played on during the Brexit referendum in some areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement