Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dublin such a popular destination for Brazilians?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Das Reich wrote: »

No I have a question for Irish for any other European.

I am not saying immigration is good, I am even against it, but why they complain about south americans or chinese, most of them work and are not muslim, and at the same time they not only open the doors to gypsies and muslims but they go to their countries to bring them here. It sounds a paradox, I see the same in UK, they talk about Polish and yet they country is filled with people that have only one thing in mind, convert Europe to islam. As Polish people are white and catholic, then can be blamed without been called a racist, I did read a comment below about how Brazil is homophobic, really? In Brazil gay marriage was allowded in 2013 even before than Ireland.

Why Irish, English and other Europeans, they feel free to bash Chinese, Eastern European and some other non muslim nationalities, but when it comes to talk about muslims they all get affraid? I would like to hear.
    I don't know either and I'm Irish - you would think that Europe would make it very easy for south Americans to come considering the similar culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I am not saying immigration is good, I am even against it, but why they complain about south americans or chinese, most of them work and are not muslim, and at the same time they not only open the doors to gypsies and muslims but they go to their countries to bring them here. It sounds a paradox, I see the same in UK, they talk about Polish and yet they country is filled with people that have only one thing in mind, convert Europe to islam. As Polish people are white and catholic, then can be blamed without been called a racist, I did read a comment below about how Brazil is homophobic, really? In Brazil gay marriage was allowded in 2013 even before than Ireland.

Why Irish, English and other Europeans, they feel free to bash Chinese, Eastern European and some other non muslim nationalities, but when it comes to talk about muslims they all get affraid? I would like to hear.
    You mustn't be reading Boards if you haven't seen anti-islamic postings!

What we have with south American people in Ireland is people coming to learn English, they can already speak English, so it is a fake.

People who come to Ireland under this scheme are using it to move to Ireland.
    That is how I see it.

I don't think it is a good policy.

We are doing the same now with people from India.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Aren't they all in Brazil now?
    Yeah Perú and Colombia as well by all accounts. On a side note I think South American women age pretty poorly (wealthy ones and actresses the exceptions) in comparison to European women.

Colombia is packed with Venezuelans now and there has been a massive rise in xenophobia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Quite a few of them in Gort, they used to have a parade every year.

Fine looking women and they are hard workers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

I know a few Brazilians and they all seem to now have Italian citizenship and thus EU citizens and free to travel and live where they like within the Europe. If they can prove they have Italian ancestry they go to live in Italy for literally 3 or 4 months then are given Italian passports! I can see why the Italian government would do this, their population is aging and falling, but you'd think they would be a bit more stringent, maybe make them stay 2 or 3 years at least!

Ireland's immigration policies may seem a little lax but Italy's seem utterly ludicrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I know a few Brazilians and they all seem to now have Italian citizenship and thus EU citizens and free to travel and live where they like within the Europe. If they can prove they have Italian ancestry they go to live in Italy for literally 3 or 4 months then are given Italian passports! I can see why the Italian government would do this, their population is aging and falling, but you'd think they would be a bit more stringent, maybe make them stay 2 or 3 years at least!

No. Some of my ancestrors moved to Brazil after the earthquake of 1908 in Reggio Calabria. Why Italy should refuse to give me citizenship if I have Italian dna? I am more Italian than any foreigner born in Italy, why they should have citizenship and me not? It was Brazil that helped to give home of all those Europeans, the minimum Europe should do is give them citizenship of they can prove to have European origin. And talking about my region, virtually everyone have at least an Italian great grand parent.
    Ireland's immigration policies may seem a little lax but Italy's seem utterly ludicrous!

You must be joking I know so many people that doesn't have any Irish ancestry and got Irish passport, many Brazilians with no English, they could barely answer "how are you". To get Irish passport you just need to born here or be here for few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No. Some of my ancestrors moved to Brazil after the earthquake of 1908 in Reggio Calabria. Why Italy should refuse to give me citizenship if I have Italian dna? I am more Italian than any foreigner born in Italy, why they should have citizenship and me not? It was Brazil that helped to give home of all those Europeans, the minimum Europe should do is give them citizenship of they can prove to have European origin. And talking about my region, virtually everyone have at least an Italian great grand parent.

You must be joking I know so many people that doesn't have any Irish ancestry and got Irish passport, many Brazilians with no English, they could barely answer "how are you". To get Irish passport you just need to born here or be here for few years.

I could get an italian passport if i lived in italy for 4 years. I have zero italian blood in me. Somebody from outside the EU can get it after 10 years residency in Italy. Which is pretty much the same rule as we have in ireland.

Rein it in there. I didn't say Italy shouldn't do it - I explicitly said I understood the reason for them doing it - it just seems ludicrous lax in giving out their passports, especially since many leave as soon as they get their citizenship thus not benefiting Italy in the long term.

And Europe has many nations; you may argue Italy has an obligation to their diaspora but all of Europe doesn't.

Being born here doesn't give that person automatic right to citizenship. And you have to be resident here for at least 5 years to gain citizenship, a lot more that the few months Italy requires for some appliacants. Yeah so both are lax but Italy more so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I am not saying immigration is good, I am even against it.

Could you not report yourself for some made up crime and get yourself deported then?

• Advertisement

Being born here doesn't give that person automatic right to citizenship. And you have to be resident here for at least 5 years to gain citizenship, a lot more that the few months Italy requires for some appliacants. Yeah so both are lax but Italy more so.

In Italy you don't need to leave few months, YOU HAVE to have ancestror from the country, then going on the churches to get the birth and baptism certificate of their ancestrors, send it to the council (comune) wait months and waste a lot of money, at least 2.000 €. How is that lax compared to Ireland where you doesn't need to have ancestry to get passport, I could get any time if I didn't had dual citizenship.

In Italy you don't need to leave few months, YOU HAVE to have ancestror from the country, then going on the churches to get the birth and baptism certificate of their ancestrors, send it to the council (comune) wait months and waste a lot of money, at least 2.000 €. How is that lax compared to Ireland where you doesn't need to have ancestry to get passport, I could get any time if I didn't had dual citizenship.

As i already said this is not true. Anybody can get italian citizenship if they live there long enough. I only have to live there for 4 years to get citizenship. Somebody from outside the EU has to live there 10 years.

Rein it in there. I didn't say Italy shouldn't do it - I explicitly said I understood the reason for them doing it - it just seems ludicrous lax in giving out their passports, especially since many leave as soon as they get their citizenship thus not benefiting Italy in the long term.

And Europe has many nations; you may argue Italy has an obligation to their diaspora but all of Europe doesn't.

Brazil got loads of immigrants from everywhere, even from USA (
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

They are mad for Boojum Burritos apparently. F@@kin love them. Have been known to pack some of them up and ship back to Brazil

No you couldn't, you would need to be resident here for at least five years. Getting a few forms and paying money followed by a short wait then getting an EU passport is pretty lax in my book. Simply basing it on having Italian ancestry seems a pretty low threshold to me.

Man, I got my passport even before leaving Brazil. I was lucky my parents already had it and was easy for me. These people you called "some applicants" have more right than anyone to have EU passport as we descent from european refugees and immigrants. You said Italy should force them to live 2 or 3 years at least, why?
    No you couldn't, you would need to be resident here for at least five years.

I am, and I know loads of Brazilians with no English or Irish that got Irish passport. And then you complain about the ones that have Italian passport even if they are Italian descent, funny.

Man, I got my passport even before leaving Brazil. I was lucky my parents already had it and was easy for me. These people you called "some applicants" have more right than anyone to have EU passport as we descent from european refugees and immigrants. You said Italy should force them to live 2 or 3 years at least, why?

I dont know you think Italy is so special in this regard. There are many people with an irish passport who have never set foot in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Gay Brazilian lads have the nicest 1980s haircuts. Like David Sylvian from Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Brazil got loads of immigrants from everywhere, even from USA (
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados)
    A lot of Germans moved there after the war

• Advertisement

I dont know you think Italy is so special in this regard. There are many people with an irish passport who have never set foot in the country.

If they are of Irish ancestry, then they are more Irish than the Brazilians I know with Irish passport.

If they are of Irish ancestry, then they are more Irish than the Brazilians I know with Irish passport.

and i am sure there are italian citizens with no italian ancestry. There is no problem for an italian resident to get an italian passport. No need for italian ancestry. You go on like Italy is special in who it gives citizenship to. It isn't.

Edgware wrote: »
    A lot of Germans moved there after the war

What war? The germans arrived mostly between 1824 and the beggining of 1900. Their emmigration almost entirely stopped after that. Then the japanese started to move there on their place from 1908 and on.

I am, and I know loads of Brazilians with no English or Irish that got Irish passport. And then you complain about the ones that have Italian passport even if they are Italian descent, funny.

I only referred to them as 'some applicants' as I wanted to distinguish the ones with Italian ancestry, no offensive was intended. I actually think that countries should utilise their diaspora and give them preferential treatment (within reason) but I don't think that any country should be beholden to decedents of people who emigrated many generations previously. But the host country would need to benefit too, that's why I think they should have to stay a few years and bring their skills to help the economy. I don't think just because a person has ancestry should have more rights to another, unrelated, foreigner. The same maybe but not more.

And I'm not complaining, just pointing out that the requirements aren't very rigorous. But I agree the Irish system is too lax as well; there is talk of a citizen test being implemented, that should be a minimum requirement in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

You can get a visa and work. Very few countries offer that. My gf is Brazilian. They are gorgeous

meh! some of them are some of them aren't

I only referred to them as 'some applicants' as I wanted to distinguish the ones with Italian ancestry, no offensive was intended. I actually think that countries should utilise their diaspora and give them preferential treatment (within reason) but I don't think that any country should be beholden to decedents of people who emigrated many generations previously. But the host country would need to benefit too, that's why I think they should have to stay a few years and bring their skills to help the economy. I don't think just because a person has ancestry should have more rights to another, unrelated, foreigner. The same maybe but not more.

And I'm not complaining, just pointing out that the requirements aren't very rigorous. But I agree the Irish system is too lax as well; there is talk of a citizen test being implemented, that should be a minimum requirement in my book.

I agree with you on few things. But as an immigrant that have only immigrants on its genealogy I can say that most of those immigrants have no skill to help the economy, and they not emigrate to benefit but to be benefited by the richer country. And the ones that are skilled, they would be much more usefull in their own countries, look what happened in countries like Zimbabwe where skilled people where forced to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Brazil have a much higher % of beautiful women than Ireland. They're definitely welcome in Ireland. My ex was from Brazil abd never seen a more attractive person in my life (pity about her personality)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Brazil have a much higher % of beautiful women than Ireland. They're definitely welcome in Ireland. My ex was from Brazil abd never seen a more attractive person in my life (pity about her personality)

Certain types from certain regions are good looking.

It's not universal, check out natives from the northern states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

They're mad for the junkies?

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Brazil have a much higher % of beautiful women than Ireland.

You never been there. These are from the north of the country.

Another from the north, brazilians from the north are ugly as much as south african coloreds or australian natives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

It's true that Brazilian women are usually slot more attractive than Irish women. But that's mostly due to the fact that we Irish are an ugly nation of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

MarkY91 wrote: »
    It's true that Brazilian women are usually slot more attractive than Irish women. But that's mostly due to the fact that we Irish are an ugly nation of people.

Speak for yourself Quasimodo

Most Brazilians come to Ireland because it's an English-speaking country in the EU, and because visas for the UK are ridiculously expensive.

Ireland is more expensive than it used to be for acquiring a student visa, but it's still much cheaper than the UK. (A few years ago you could come here with about 1,000 quid in your pocket, and you'd get a course and a visa stamp; that's more like 3,000 now, I think)

Many Brazilians that I know only found out that Ireland wasn't part of the UK when they were researching their visa!

Another from the north, brazilians from the north are ugly as much as south african coloreds or australian natives.

The ugliest thing around here is your posting style, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

You can bet your arse that's an order from the EU..

I'll take that bet.

Why are people still so ignorent about how the EU works?

There is also significant Irish communities in Argentina and Mexico that should be prioritised when it comes to getting visa's.

Ireland and Argentina have a work-holiday visa programme. Each country can grant 100 visas every year, the demand is much smaller than it is for student visas from Brazil.

We don't have the same working-holiday arrangement with Mexico, but there are plenty of Mexican people here on student visas.

I for one think this is wonderful. Not just for economic growth, but it's nice to consider that our country which once relied on emigration ("we can't all live on this little island") is now seen as a place to live, study and work for so many emigrants from other countries. We must be doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Really horrible to put down an entire race of people, multiple races even, label them all as ugly just because you don't find them attractive. Im sure theres many beautiful girls from those places

Saying entire nations of people are 'good looking' or 'ugly' just seems ridiculous to me anyway, when I was in italy I thought guys were a bit hotter than back in ireland, but I still saw thousands of ugly italians, and Ive seen thousands of attractive irish people, so whats even the point of these vast generalisations

wakka12 wrote: »
    Really horrible to put down an entire race of people, multiple races even, label them all as ugly just because you don't find them attractive. Im sure theres many beautiful girls from those places

Saying entire nations of people are 'good looking' or 'ugly' just seems ridiculous to me anyway, when I was in italy I thought guys were a bit hotter than back in ireland, but I still saw thousands of ugly italians, and Ive seen thousands of attractive irish people, so whats even the point of these vast generalisations

The videos I posted were to disagree with some people saying all Brazilians were beautiful and Irish ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

No you couldn't, you would need to be resident here for at least five years. Getting a few forms and paying money followed by a short wait then getting an EU passport is pretty lax in my book. Simply basing it on having Italian ancestry seems a pretty low threshold to me.

Provided the foreign births register is kept up to date, Irish citizenship can be passed on ad infintum to the children of Irish passport holders irrespective of the number of generations since any of them were born in or ever lived in Ireland. This is substantially the same as the Italian system you criticise.

The videos I posted were to disagree with some people saying all Brazilians were beautiful and Irish ugly.

No, they were specifically intended to denigrate indigenous people across three continents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

s8n wrote: »
    They are mad for Boojum Burritos apparently. F@@kin love them. Have been known to pack some of them up and ship back to Brazil

No thanks ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Neither of those links seems to work

Advertisement