Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The scourge of writing for a living (for non-journalist/authors)

• 11-07-2018 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I'm delighted to say that after a few years of working in a job that had me writing one 16,000 world report each month it's coming to an end :)

Anyone else out there do a lot of writing for a living and realise it's awful?

I'm not talking about journalists or authors. I'm really talking about writing reports for  businesses, or writing one for a particular industry or sector.

Here are some of the reasons it's terrible;

- With a 16,000 word report (my longest one was 25,000), the planning, research, writing, re-reading/writing, editing/making manager's changes is extremely long and arduous. And you've got a just month to do it (plus all your other day-to-day tasks).
    - Nobody reads your full 60+ page report, so a lot of your work is simply a waste of time. I blame this on the company - quite an old one, with an archaic way of operating compared to its newer competitors. 

On top of this I did a lot of admin, client meets/presentations which I didn't really mind too much. 

Writing was the worst though - it drains you. I also found that when I went to look for another job, some of my other technical skills were really underdeveloped, as the writing took up so much time. I had to work in my own time to get up to speed. 

Maybe it was just the company I worked for (quite an old one as mentioned), but beware of writing jobs!! Anyone else have this experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

TL:DR

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yep no one reads it. If I see that in a job description I won't apply. There is a lot of emphasis on this in engineering noe, followed by a lot of handing back by non technical people because they don't understand it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Make the move into journalism maybe? What about a local paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭parc

Re; TL:DR

So true :D
    [*]

jcorr wrote: »
    Make the move into journalism maybe? What about a local paper?
    Nah, I've no interest in writing. Good luck to people who have though. 
    My issue is the focus on writing loooong reports by old fashioned managers/businesses. 

I'll never apply to a job again that requires report writing. Although I see most reports written by other companies are quite short in comparison to ours (mabe 15-30 page max, versus our 60+ pages).

• Advertisement

Write it on the phone with the aul predictive text?..

Should have named this thread - Pointless work tasks or something similar. Would be interested to hear other people's pointless, time consuming tasks they have to do at work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

parc wrote: »
    Should have named this thread - Pointless work tasks or something similar. Would be interested to hear other people's pointless, time consuming tasks they have to do at work

responding to emails - all day

People don't read them and do what they want anyway.

We've all learned to skim material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

OldGoat wrote: »
    TL:DR
    Ah...not really (although I probably would have read the full 16000 word report). :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You'd wanna see what I get paid for posting shite on here

Being President is only a sideline job in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Move into the skinny mag industry. If that doesnt put lead in your pencil (so to speak) then you might want to consider a career change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

You'd wanna see what I get paid for posting shite on here

Being President is only a sideline job in comparison.

Huuuuuge

Move into the skinny mag industry. If that doesnt put lead in your pencil (so to speak) then you might want to consider a career change

Thankfully moving on to a better job soon

Advertisement