Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dating Foreigners

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

That's what you've decided to focus on? Really? Oh, my. You really have skipped over most of my posts rather than actually reading them...

You do like to jump around. First it was the Irish males being strange, and now it's the foreign women having a low opinion of themselves. Either way, you have a low opinion of anyone in a mixed-nationality relationship.

Maybe it's an unhealthy mixture of the two...... which would explain a lot of what I've observed both in real life and on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

In China, the common attitude to beauty is for the woman to be slim, tall, white skin, big eyes, small nose, her ears small, and a long (ish) face. [you can often see it in the weird application of plastic surgery] Chinese people always say that foreigners pick up the "ugly" girls, and compared to the common perspective of what is beautiful, they're kinda right. Whereas for many of the foreigners, their own personal tastes are (obviously) going to be different from Chinese people. My ex was incredibly beautiful (for me). When she came to Ireland, she turned heads... and my friends said she was far too good looking to be with me.... but in China, she was considered less than average because she didn't fit with what was considered beautiful.

Haha I was actually being flippant. The "our women who date foreigners are all ugly" is just jingoistic mental gymnastics to justify reality to the fragile ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

That's what you've decided to focus on? Really? Oh, my. You really have skipped over most of my posts rather than actually reading them...

You do like to jump around. First it was the Irish males being strange, and now it's the foreign women having a low opinion of themselves. Either way, you have a low opinion of anyone in a mixed-nationality relationship.

You know, I don't think he has a low opinion of anyone in a mixed-nationality relationship, it's more directed at the type of folk who claim Irish women are "ugly", "unattractive", "not as hot as xyz" and to be honest I'm happy to see someone else defend Irish women and offer a differing viewpoint.

These type of threads slating Irish women pop up here depressingly regularly- we're ugly, unattractive, not as hot as Polish/ Swedish/ Latvian/ insert whatever nationality. In the past, I've felt pretty crap about myself reading those threads, now I know anyone who calls Irish women ugly or unattractive or judges nationalities as one homogenous entity is talking through their hoop

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

snotboogie wrote: »
    Haha I was actually being flippant. The "our women who date foreigners are all ugly" is just jingoistic mental gymnastics to justify reality to the fragile ego.

That's not the argument it's the women who these Irish guys go after who they say are bombshells aren't actually that good looking. I wouldn't put too much weight into these guys opinions.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Maybe it's an unhealthy mixture of the two...... which would explain a lot of what I've observed both in real life and on this thread.

Well... You seem to consider that Irish men who are dating foreign women to be strange compared to Irish men who date Irish women, and foreign women who date Irish men, can't detect any strangeness in those Irish men, but are happy to be with them regardless.... so whats the problem? Foreign/Irish dating is somehow a combination of unhealthy behaviors? Irish people should only be with Irish people?

Ever consider that you might be a little strange yourself?
    You know, I don't think he has a low opinion of anyone in a mixed-nationality relationship, it's more directed at the type of folk who claim Irish women are "ugly", "unattractive", "not as hot as xyz" and to be honest I'm happy to see someone else defend Irish women and offer a differing viewpoint.

There are heaps of posts on this thread "defending" Irish women... but the fact remains that attraction is a personal perspective, and if people don't find Irish women attractive, there's nothing wrong with that. Just as I don't find anything wrong with Irish women generally not being attracted to me.
    These type of threads slating Irish women pop up here depressingly regularly- we're ugly, unattractive, not as hot as Polish/ Swedish/ Latvian/ insert whatever nationality. In the past, I've felt pretty crap about myself reading those threads, now I know anyone who calls Irish women ugly or unattractive or judges nationalities as one homogenous entity is talking through their hoop

It's AH and threads are generally here to get a reaction. It's not as if AH has a history for moderate 'considerate' thinking...

Well... You seem to consider that Irish men who are dating foreign women to be strange compared to Irish men who date Irish women, and foreign women who date Irish men, can't detect any strangeness in those Irish men, but are happy to be with them regardless.... so whats the problem? Foreign/Irish dating is somehow a combination of unhealthy behaviors? Irish people should only be with Irish people?

Ever consider that you might be a little strange yourself?

There are heaps of posts on this thread "defending" Irish women... but the fact remains that attraction is a personal perspective, and if people don't find Irish women attractive, there's nothing wrong with that. Just as I don't find anything wrong with Irish women generally not being attracted to me.

It's AH and threads are generally here to get a reaction. It's not as if AH has a history for moderate 'considerate' thinking...

Any reason why defending is in inverted commas?

Any reason why defending is in inverted commas?

Because I don't think Irish women need defending.

And totally get attraction is subjective but posters who say Irish women are ugly or unattractive in general are talking through their hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

So, just a question. If someone has never felt attraction to a fellow irish person(male or female), does that mean there is something wrong with them? I'm asking for a friend

• Advertisement

Because I don't think Irish women need defending.

Give over. I never said it was needed but it's refreshing to see people who aren't all piling in with the usual Irish loathing crap

And totally get attraction is subjective but posters who say Irish women are ugly or unattractive in general are talking through their hoop.

In my experience, everyone generalises because it's easier to write it that way. I'd imagine most people are hoping that readers will read between the lines and not take it as an absolute.

So, just a question. If someone has never felt attraction to a fellow irish person(male or female), does that mean there is something wrong with them? I'm asking for a friend

To not feel attraction is one thing, to write them off as ugly or unattractive on average is quite another

Anyway, the poster who said he has never been attracted to Irish women and never will eventually admitted that was not the case.

In my experience, everyone generalises because it's easier to write it that way. I'd imagine most people are hoping that readers will read between the lines and not take it as an absolute.

Is that so? Funny how you've taken umbrage to Mad Dogs general assertions ;)

Anyway, the poster who said he has never been attracted to Irish women and never will eventually admitted that was not the case.

To say you never will is a bit silly, you never know like. I don't think they're ugly, it's all personal taste at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

If there's any difference between Irish women and "foreign" women, I think in regards to the former, there's a hang up about what their friends think and what society thinks as a whole. It's a fear of judgement I guess which is a symptom of poor old Catholic Ireland.

Thus, the "harsh and cold" reactions from some Irish women when approached. That being said, any bloke who has a chip on his shoulder about it really just need to harden the **** up about it and not belittle Irish women to justify their own preferences (why would you even feel you have to I don't know).

Is that so? Funny how you've taken umbrage to Mad Dogs general assertions ;)

umbrage? Because I get annoyed being told that we, Irish men, who find foreign women attractive and have relationships with them, are strange, and that foreign women aren't good enough to notice that strangeness? Yes... I would oppose that kind of thinking, just as you object to people calling Irish women unattractive, ugly, or whatever negative perspective.

I would say it's odd to have been surrounded by Irish women (taken that you're a heterosexual male) for the majority of your life without finding any of them sexually attractive.

If I spend a weekend in Paris I'm sure I'd see at least one French girl that I'd find attractive.

umbrage? Because I get annoyed being told that we, Irish men, who find foreign women attractive and have relationships with them, are strange, and that foreign women aren't good enough to notice that strangeness? Yes... I would oppose that kind of thinking, just as you object to people calling Irish women unattractive, ugly, or whatever negative perspective.

I didn't think it necessary to say this but I don't mean absolutely every single Irish lad dating a foreign girl...... having said that, the vast majority that I've personally observed have formed my general opinion.

I didn't think it necessary to say this but I don't mean absolutely every single Irish lad dating a foreign girl...... having said that, the vast majority that I've personally observed have formed my general opinion.

Yup :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

You see this all the time on boards and frankly I think it's bizarre. It seems to crop almost on a yearly basis at this stage! I never encounter the "Irish women are ugly" attitude in real life, just here. I find it a little bit sad that to be honest.

It depends where you are from and what age you are. If you are over 40 and from Ballygobackwards, your only experience of foreign women might be the time wierd Johnno brought back an Issan girl from Pattaya. If you are under 30 and living in Dublin half of your friends will be dating foreigners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Daisy78 wrote: »
    You see this all the time on boards and frankly I think it's bizarre. It seems to crop almost on a yearly basis at this stage! I never encounter the "Irish women are ugly" attitude in real life, just here. I find it a little bit sad that to be honest.

Absolutely agree . Never met anyone in real live with such biased attitude . It is sad but at least it leaves the Irish women free from such men as they roam the world looking for another race !

I would say it's odd to have been surrounded by Irish women (taken that you're a heterosexual male) for the majority of your life without finding any of them sexually attractive.

If I spend a weekend in Paris I'm sure I'd see at least one French girl that I'd find attractive.

Well then I'm odd according to your great wisdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Tbf, it's not really odd, most likely repressed sexuality from a childhood terror, beaten by a nun or a relative... can't see an Irishwoman in a sexual light since then....seems to be quite a common issue in this thread

Tbf, it's not really odd, most likely repressed sexuality from a childhood terror, besyeny by a nun or a relative... can't see an Irishwoman in a sexual light since then....seems to be quite a common issue in this thread

I like how you twisted that.

It depends where you are from and what age you are. If you are over 40 and from Ballygobackwards, your only experience of foreign women might be the time wierd Johnno brought back an Issan girl from Pattaya. If you are under 30 and living in Dublin half of your friends will be dating foreigners

I'm mid-30's, from Dublin, living in Dublin and know a lot of lads 30 and under....... most of them are with Irish girls.

I'm mid-30's

Sure thing maddog76

Tbf, it's not really odd, most likely repressed sexuality from a childhood terror, besyeny by a nun or a relative... can't see an Irishwoman in a sexual light since then....seems to be quite a common issue in this thread

So basically anyone who doesn't find irish women attractive is a victim of abuse? You're clutching at straws.

You certainly are...... if I spent any time in any country surrounded by the female population of that country without finding even one of them attractive then I'd know there's something wrong..... . odd at best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

So basically anyone who doesn't find irish women attractive is a victim of abuse? You're clutching at straws.

You're clutching at a strawman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Odd would be a gentle term for someone who claims never to have been attracted to a single person in their native country their entire life thus far.

Sure thing maddog76

Lol Making assumptions based on my username? Try searching my post history, I've explained where my username comes from on a thread about usernames..... if you can't find it come back to me and I'll put you out of your misery..... I might even give you my exact date of birth! 😀

Odd would be a gentle term for someone who claims never to have been attracted to a single person in their native country their entire life thus far.

Left Ireland when I was 18 bud and only have come back on visits.

Anybody who has never found even ONE Irish woman attractive when born and raised in Ireland has an issue for sure, no doubt about that.

Lol Making assumptions based on my username? Try searching my post history, I've explained where my username comes from on a thread about usernames..... if you can't find it come back to me and I'll put you out of your misery..... I might even give you my exact date of birth! 😀

Fair enough I suppose, if the only people you know dating foreigners are oddballs that is very unusual, my experience, especially in Dublin or any larger city, is completely different.

*shrug

Left Ireland when I was 18 bud and only have come back on visits.

I fancied everything that moved from the age of 12 to 18!!!

It is definitely not normal for a heterosexual teenage boy to be around Irish girls/women without finding any of them sexually attractive.

Anybody who has never found even ONE Irish woman attractive when born and raised in Ireland has an issue for sure, no doubt about that.

Haha I've really pissed you off with this haven't I. We can't all be the same madDog. Maybe if I stayed in Ireland longer I might have been attracted to an Irish girl and maybe in the future I might.

Haha I've really pissed you off with this haven't I. We can't all be the same madDog. Maybe if I stayed in Ireland longer I might have been attracted to an Irish girl and maybe in the future I might.

Pissed off? I don't know what part of my posts gave you that inaccurate impression.... anyway.

I stand by the opinion that a heterosexual teenage boy not finding the females of the nationality he is surrounded by sexually attractive is most definitely, at best, odd to say the least.

• Advertisement

Pissed off? I don't know what part of my posts gave you that inaccurate impression.... anyway.

I stand by the opinion that a heterosexual teenage boy not finding the females of the nationality he is surrounded by sexually attractive is most definitely, at best, odd to say the least.

Ok, I think we get It, you've repeated yourself three times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Irish ladies are awesome and get rave reviews from foreign visitors I've met.

Personally I've found it easier to engage with non-Irish in recent years because the 20 questions don't come into it on either side. Irish girls might consider your accent and postcode but a foreigner will either like or dislike you straight up no bull****. :)

Ok, I think we get It, you've repeated yourself three times now.

Do you get it though? That's the important question.

Do you get it though? That's the important question.

No, you may have to post It again maybe another 65 times on here. Make sure you do, as I really want to get It

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Do Irish girls even talk about foreign guys the way you hear girls do in other countries? No girl I know seems to have that sort of 'if he has an accent' as a good thing, in the USA, you're golden with an accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between 45 and 65:[2] "The period between early adulthood and old age, usually considered as the years from about 45 to 65

Forget about the Oxford English Dictionary, a few folk on Boards have spoken!

You know what a "geriatric pregnancy" is? - A woman over the age of 35 expecting a child.

That's the medical expression/definition. Not my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

You know what a "geriatric pregnancy" is? - A woman over the age of 35 expecting a child.

I’ll be dying of cancer in my 30s. Nobody in their right mind will say I died in middle age.

A geriatric pregnancy is called that because it’s getting near the end of the fertility window. That’s not a good reference point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It is not ! It is not used any more . Now would be termed an older prima gravida

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Immigration may fix up the FAI yet :)

Getting rid of that idiot Delaney would be a great start...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between 45 and 65:[2] "The period between early adulthood and old age, usually considered as the years from about 45 to 65

Forget about the Oxford English Dictionary, a few folk on Boards have spoken!

45 is early adulthood? What is 18-44?

45 is early adulthood? What is 18-44?

Where does it say 45 is early adulthood? From that definition it's the period between early adulthood and old age, so 18-44 early adulthood, 45-65 middle age, and so on. It's pretty straightforward

• Advertisement
Advertisement