Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dating Foreigners

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tbf, it's not really odd, most likely repressed sexuality from a childhood terror, beaten by a nun or a relative... can't see an Irishwoman in a sexual light since then....seems to be quite a common issue in this thread

I've seen a fair few posts on threads like these where posters claim they have never once seen an attractive black woman and that's accepted as normal. There are probably half a billion black women compared with the million or so Irish women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

You know what a "geriatric pregnancy" is? - A woman over the age of 35 expecting a child.

That's the medical expression/definition. Not my opinion

Yeah I'm familiar with the term. What has it got to do with this? If you've an issue with the definition of middle age, you should take it up with the Oxford English Dictionary and maybe they'll change it for you. Until then, I'll go with what they say

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It is not ! It is not used any more . Now would be termed an older prima gravida

Prima gravida is a first pregnancy. A geriatric pregnancy can be on the first or tenth child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Prima gravida is a first pregnancy. A geriatric pregnancy can be on the first or tenth child.

The use of geriatric pregnancy is out dated and not used . Even way back in the late 70,s it was frowned upon where I worked !
    And yes i know prima gravida is a first pregnancy .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The use of geriatric pregnancy is out dated and not used
    And yes i know prima gravida is a first pregnancy .

Of course it's used. What makes you think it isn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Because of where I worked maybe. Possibly other areas used the term. We considered it outdated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Malayalam wrote: »
    While it is true that on a given day one will see a fair number of young Irish women on the streets who could do with backing away from the pints and chip butties, they often have very pretty faces, I find. A little confidence and exercise would have them looking great. Himself and I both come from big families and so I have 6 sister in laws, all of whom are really truly lovely looking, at least half exceptionally so, and any of them would easily hold their own - looks wise - in a room of lovely foreign ladies. One look at her facebook page tells me that my daughter and her mud-blood (aka Irish) friends are also very much holding their own in rooms all over the world, among ladies from all races, and apparently they are not in the least bit worried that there might be an opinion among some lads in Ireland that they are not absolutely gorgeous. They genuinely are lovely. Often stunning. I can say the same for my 5 mud blood brothers in laws, my mud blood sons and their very handsome friends. This idea that the Irish are not an attractive race is really past its best before date.

:)

I agree with the pretty faces, I just wish the young wans would stop duck facing. :D Actually Irish women generally look a lot better now than they did 10-15 years ago. They're in better shape and dress a lot better, although that's probably true of both sexes. I would have been much more into the foreign women when I was younger, but lately I'm seeing some incredible looking Irish women.

Advanced maternal age is what it's referred to as now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Irish men win every time on the humour front, and tend to treat you more like an equal rather than the pedestal bullsh1t. But can be ferociously emotionally retarded too, and less likely to convey their attraction because some aul yoke in a club told them to fcuk off ten years ago and now they won't approach as a rule and then end up feeling bitter about it all.

In fairness Irish women aren't great at approaching first either if they see someone they like, there's no reason why they can't make the first move if they are interested.

It's something I'd like to see becoming more common here in Ireland, women here rarely if ever try to chat a guy up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GowlBagJohnson

I'll tell ye one thing there's a lot of disappointed rural Mammies after seeing their sons "move to the big smoke only to start going off with one of dem coloured wans".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

I've seen a fair few posts on threads like these where posters claim they have never once seen an attractive black woman and that's accepted as normal. There are probably half a billion black women compared with the million or so Irish women.

I can't help it if there's a racist undercurrent to some people's thinking when it comes to looking for life partners... but you're correct, it is very noticeable in some parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I'm one of those men who don't find black women attractive, just not my preference ....... however, in my early 20's, I found myself working in a predominantly black city/country for 14 weeks and guess what happened? I think I lasted about 4 days before questioning my preferences ......... and I'm to believe that a hormonal heterosexual teenage boy could last 6/7/8 years without feeling any sexual attraction to the female population he is surrounded by without questioning the normality of that oddity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jiltloop wrote: »
    You just can't beat the Irish sense of humour and I think foreigners struggle to really grasp or appreciate it. There's loads of beautiful foreign women around but as for relationships I'm happy to stick with my Irish girlfriend who is on the same page as me and has the same sense of humour as me.

She has a great sense of humour alright

You know she's only going out with you for a joke?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

When considering a bit of exotica it’s no secret I’d be of the asian persuasion and seeing as they produce more oestrogen is it any wonder fellas tend to swing that way? ..besides the prospect of more A1 students does seem productive when considering what’s beneficial for us in the long run but you just know it’s going to be infinitely more a case of bottle blond welfare mas left to tow their little harveys and that’s the saddest thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

For long term be prepared to travel - possibly even for long periods - months or much more..

Anyone I know who married non locals had their partners wanting to “go home” after a few years.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

ozmo wrote: »
    For long term be prepared to travel - possibly even for long periods - months or much more..

The horror!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's 2018. People are more open to dating people from vastly different countries or ethnicity. That's a good thing too.

To put this in a blunt way.... but see all this "you shouldn't hook up with a foreigner" type backwards attitude people have... it's all BS. The biggest of racists who use the N word would gladly shag a hot black woman.

It's 2018. People are more open to dating people from vastly different countries or ethnicity. That's a good thing too.

To put this in a blunt way.... but see all this "you shouldn't hook up with a foreigner" type backwards attitude people have... it's all BS. The biggest of racists who use the N word would gladly shag a hot black woman.

Huh? Where did anyone say you shouldn't hook up with a foreigner? No one on this thread used the N word.

You can like dating foreigners (the last guy I dated was Italian) without being sneery or horrible towards Irish or any other nationality. I've dated foreigners and Irish men, have had good and bad experiences with both. For me it's not about liking one over the other but that's the attitude of some people on this thread, e.g the poster who claims he never was attracted to Irish women and never will be.

ozmo wrote: »

Anyone I know who married non locals had their partners wanting to “go home” after a few years.

I can't say I've ever seen this. Most of the Polish, Lithuanian etc seem to be settled in Ireland. I know a few polish that have gone back home alright but they're with Polish partners. One thing I have noticed though is that they seem to be in a damn hurry to get married and settle down.

• Advertisement

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I'm one of those men who don't find black women attractive, just not my preference ....... however, in my early 20's, I found myself working in a predominantly black city/country for 14 weeks and guess what happened? I think I lasted about 4 days before questioning my preferences ......... and I'm to believe that a hormonal heterosexual teenage boy could last 6/7/8 years without feeling any sexual attraction to the female population he is surrounded by without questioning the normality of that oddity?

So what you're saying is you're a giant hypocrite and proud of it?

When I was younger, and living in Ireland, I found quite a few Irish women to be attractive, and I was definitely interested in them in a romantic/intimate fashion. I didn't have much success with them, but the attraction was definitely there. When I left Ireland, my preferences changed considerably as I grew older and experienced living in other countries. In the years since then, I've returned to Ireland for short periods (a month, here or there) or extended stays (a year) before returning abroad. During those times in Ireland, I've rarely met an Irish woman that I found physically attractive, but I have met some. While living abroad, I've met other Irish women, and can say I found more of those Irish women attractive, than those I met in Ireland.

That's not to suggest that Irish women aren't attractive. This is more about my own personal preference in women. Most of my Irish friends prefer Irish women... I don't. I prefer Asian, or Hispanic women, through my own experiences through dating. (beauty, culture, personalities, rapport.. etc)

From the last 20 years, I can count on one hand the number of Irish women I've wanted to be with. I can also count on one hand the number of Irish women who expressed any such interest in me.

So what you're saying is you're a giant hypocrite and proud of it?

Feel free to explain your inaccurate statement if you can...... or have you not read all my posts on this thread and just thought you'd try to sound clever for the sake of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

I would never date a southerner as I find their accents very unappealing. I only seem to date Protestant women (including my current gf) and they think they're foreigners if that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I would never date a southerner as I find their accents very unappealing. I only seem to date Protestant women (including my current gf) and they think they're foreigners if that counts.

Troll alert. What about if that “southerner” was from north Donegal?

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Troll alert. What about if that “southerner” was from north Donegal?

Of course? Donegal isn't far from me and is in the north, by north i didn't mean 6 counties...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

There are pretty Irish girls and pretty foreign girls. There are hot Irish girls and foreign girls who are super arrogant. What my bugbear is, is that you have very average to below average looking Irish women, who think they are raging beauties or great catches.

KevinCavan wrote: »
    What my bugbear is, is that you have very average to below average looking Irish women, who think they are raging beauties or great catches.

Surely there's people like that everywhere in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

COfk_N9WUAELnRP.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

I can't say I've ever seen this. Most of the Polish, Lithuanian etc seem to be settled in Ireland. I know a few polish that have gone back home alright but they're with Polish partners. One thing I have noticed though is that they seem to be in a damn hurry to get married and settle down.

Ive has several different friends have to up sticks with the new kids off to America, Canada, Australia and Asia to be near the mammy in law. Sold houses and all in some cases only to return a couple years later.
    Just something to consider.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

Feel free to explain your inaccurate statement if you can...... or have you not read all my posts on this thread and just thought you'd try to sound clever for the sake of it?

You spent ages banging on about anyone who doesn't find Irish women attractive being a weirdo, then admit you don't find any black women attractive. How can you not see the thundering hypocrisy in that?

It's more the Irish lads personalities that I was referring to...... from my experience there's a "type" of Irish lad that goes for foreign women.

Social misfit type, bit awkward, struggles when attempting to chat up women etc. The foreign girl would find it difficult to spot this for obvious reasons...... to her, she's just dating the average Irish lad and has failed to notice anything out of the ordinary.

Traditionally the pubs and clubs were main way to meet people in Ireland. Alcohol is the backbone of Irish romance. As someone who never really drank much, I was considered a bit of an oddball or a dry shyte. After the influx of foreigners, I started to have a bit more success with women as the non-drinking thing wasn't much of an issue. I generally found them a bit more approachable too.

However I'd imagine if someone is just generally awkward then that is going to be a major hindrance regardless of the nationality of the person they're talking to.

You spent ages banging on about anyone who doesn't find Irish women attractive being a weirdo, then admit you don't find any black women attractive. How can you not see the thundering hypocrisy in that?

Probably because, when reaching sexual age there weren't many (any!) black women around and by the time they became more available there were plenty of other options which suited my personal preferences.

When faced with a situation where they were the only option my sexual urges took over...... I'm a heterosexual male after all, surrounded by heterosexual women.

I was questioning the poster who claimed that, despite being surrounded by Irish women, he never found any (not even one!?!!??) sexually attractive even during arguably the most sexually excitable period of a young man's life.

So...... try again with the hypocrisy claim?

Probably because, when reaching sexual age there weren't many (any!) black women around and by the time they became more available there were plenty of other options which suited my personal preferences.

When faced with a situation where they were the only option my sexual urges took over...... I'm a heterosexual male after all, surrounded by heterosexual women.

I was questioning the poster who claimed that, despite being surrounded by Irish women, he never found any (not even one!?!!??) sexually attractive even during arguably the most sexually excitable period of a young man's life.

I also find this claim hard to believe. (No disrespect, Irishguitarlad). Would be equally incredulous if say, a heterosexual Jamaican lad claimed to never, ever once be attracted to women he grew up around.

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself there. By the sounds of it if you'd gone to boarding school, the army or prison, you'd be gay if your sexual preference are solely influenced by what's close to hand.

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself there. By the sounds of it if you'd gone to boarding school, the army or prison, you'd be gay if your sexual preference are solely influenced by what's close to hand.

I guess you missed the part where he mentioned he was heterosexual

I guess you missed the part where he mentioned he was heterosexual

Only because he grew up around women, apparently, if I'm following what passes for his logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Only because he grew up around women, apparently, if I'm following what passes for his logic.

You're really not, deliberately or otherwise; you just seem to be arguing obnoxiously for the sake of it, as per.

Could we even get back to bashing Irish women, it's a lot less annoying to read.

Given up on the hypocrisy claim?

Having a go at the sexuality instead??

Keep going so......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'm one of those men who don't find black women attractive, just not my preference ....... h

I'm currently living in one of the biggest cities in Africa.
    I defy any man who claims to be a hetorsexual to be here for more than 15 minutes and say they don't find black women attractive.
    I see some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life while carrying out routine everyday tasks.
    I went out and watched the world cup final in a bar in town today and could hardly focus on the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Are we saying non-Irish girls "put out" more easily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Are we saying non-Irish girls "put out" more easily?

There might be some truth to that, there might not - could be an 'old Catholic Ireland' hangover of sorts still at work. I know a fair few Eastern European women and they're almost all of the opinion that Irish guys are far, far less likely to come straight to them and 'give it a go' if interested, and often can just get into a weird place of staring longingly and letting the moment pass. Could be part of the same thing?

I defy any man who claims to be a hetorsexual to be here for more than 15 minutes and say they don't find black women attractive.
    I see some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life while carrying out routine everyday tasks.
    I went out and watched the world cup final in a bar in town today and could hardly focus on the match.

The guy said it was his preference. You have your own preference and you're trying to question his sexuality because he doesn't have the same preference as you. Grow up.

Could you explain why you decided to exclusively quote that specific part of my post whilst purposely excluding the rest of my post?

My post in it's entirety for those who missed it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

KevinCavan wrote: »
    There are pretty Irish girls and pretty foreign girls. There are hot Irish girls and foreign girls who are super arrogant. What my bugbear is, is that you have very average to below average looking Irish women, who think they are raging beauties or great catches.

What’s wrong with a woman thinking she’s attractive?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'm dating a foreign woman right now.

Honestly, in my own very simplistic opinion, if a woman has the gumption, independence and common sense to leave her country and try to make it in Ireland, she is automatically above many, many Irish women who still live with mammy and expect everything to be handed to them.

The same likely applies to foreign men too, but I can't explain why there is less prevalence of Irish women dating foreign men.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

OP here. Brief update: We stayed together, we moved to Mexico for 6 months to get married early 2020. With Covid we ended up postponing to March this year and I stayed in Mexico for most of Covid. An amazing place to spend the pandemic it must be said even if I couldn't work or speak the language much.

My original thesis on Irish lads loving foreign women is only bolstered by the fact that 1 of the lads has been flying back and forth to Mexico since the wedding to meet a Mexican woman he met there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Advertisement