Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed-term tenancy and rent increases

Options
  • 11-07-2018 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

I'm nearing the end of a 12-month fixed-term tenancy and I'm trying to find out where I stand regarding rent increases. I'm renting in a Rent Pressure Zone, so according to the information I've read the landlord can increase the rent by a maximum of 4% at the 12-month mark and must give 90 days' notice. How would this come into play when starting a new 12-month fixed-term tenancy following the conclusion of the first? Would the tenancy typically become a periodic tenancy after the fixed-term one is up?

The information available online and in the RTB guide makes the case clear for periodic tenancies, but I'm confused when it comes to my situation. I'm a first-time renter and I want to be aware of my rights before approaching the landlord.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Can up by 4% giving 90 days notice. Has no effect on there being a new lease or not, even if a new tenant went in it would only be possibel to increase by 4%

If you are close to the end of your term (less than 90 days) and the landlord tries to up it for the new term - remind him of the requirement to only increase with 90 days notice. Good landlord would have notified you in month 9 of the 4% increase. If he plans to increase at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Can up by 4% giving 90 days notice. Has no effect on there being a new lease or not, even if a new tenant went in it would only be possibel to increase by 4%

If you are close to the end of your term (less than 90 days) and the landlord tries to up it for the new term - remind him of the requirement to only increase with 90 days notice. Good landlord would have notified you in month 9 of the 4% increase. If he plans to increase at all.

nope a good landlord would know he is not permitted to notify in month nine, must wait until 12 months have elapsed, then can conduct a rent review, then give 90 days notice of new rent. Can then do another rent review 12 months fter teh first with teh rent increase to take effect 12 months after teh first increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Thanks for your responses. My limited understanding is that since it's fewer than 90 days until the end of my fixed-term tenancy, there can't be a rent increase at the start of a new fixed-term tenancy. Can the rent go up during the new tenancy, provided the correct notice is given?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses. My limited understanding is that since it's fewer than 90 days until the end of my fixed-term tenancy, there can't be a rent increase at the start of a new fixed-term tenancy. Can the rent go up during the new tenancy, provided the correct notice is given?
    Short answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Thar_Cian wrote: »

The sensible option for your landlord would be not to sign a new fixed term tenancy and just let Part IV tenancy roll over, then give you the rent increase notice. If they sign a new fixed term tenancy specifying the same rent for the following 12 months they will not be entitled to upwardly review the rent, unless that fixed term tenancy provides for it - if they simply enter a new fixed term at the current rent they would need to let it expire before a review.

• Advertisement
Advertisement