Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Iphone X off Adverts.ie

Options
  • 11-07-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

There seems to be plenty of iphone x's on the marketplace on adverts.ie, however i am skeptical in purchasing, i clearly understand that feedback is extremely important and should be highly taken into consideration when purchasing.

What i don't understand is the large discounts on BRAND new iphone x's when it's sold on the apple.com website itself as €200 extra?
    Whats the catch?

I would be slightly more inclined to purchase from a seller with a shop location but still i want the reason for the price deduction especially when unopened?
    I assume that the warranty begins when the product is first opened and registered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I'd be very hesitant too.

This is a massive long shot, but if you can get these details from the seller you can check if it's been stolen.

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-if-an-iPhone-Is-Stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭EntryDenied12

verycool wrote: »
    I'd be very hesitant too.

This is a massive long shot, but if you can get these details from the seller you can check if it's been stolen.

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-if-an-iPhone-Is-Stolen

Thanks but i'm not in the lookout to buy a second hand iphone but rather a brand new unpackaged iphone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Thanks but i'm not in the lookout to buy a second hand iphone but rather a brand new unpackaged iphone! :)

IMEI numbers are on the boxes too.... and you can steal an unpackaged iPhone (well I'm sure at least someone can)... it would be useful to check before you purchase

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod I'm moving this over to the Apple devices forum, as I think it’s more suited there. Have a look around as this question has been asked recently. Please observe the charter in the new forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I’ve sold a few unopened iPhones got them on upgrade then sold them on, I’d sell some opened as well usually when I’m going to upgrade myself. As people have mentioned always look at feedback from the seller.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've bought an X recently on adverts. Ive bought 100's of items on there.
    As with any sale, check the feedback, if they are registered a few years and consistently deal in electronics or phones etc, then there's a good chance they have a supply chain from somewhere with lower tax, VAT free etc

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I always stick with Adverts has not let me down yet too many bad stories about the other providers - key is the feedback before buying anything.
    If your buying a new I phone Try get one that says collect from Shop 9/10 times they are brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

For a new phone insist on getting AppleCare at time of purchase. This provides an additional validation.

If the dealer has lots of feedback and no vat number look elsewhere. Pay by card, not cash.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Oxter wrote: »
    For a new phone insist on getting AppleCare at time of purchase. This provides an additional validation.

If the dealer has lots of feedback and no vat number look elsewhere. Pay by card, not cash.

You won’t get that from most sellers on adverts.
    Like myself, most people selling iPhones on there are unwanted upgrades, selling current phones in order to upgrade etc

Any brand new one is most likely a small electrical shop that will not be able to offer Apple care and card payments.

If you insist on this, buy from Apple direct.

If the seller has no VAT number, why would you look elsewhere?
    They may not be registered for VAT sand are legally entitled to not be registered depending on turnover.

If you want a discounted phone, you’ll have to get over your fears and buy, if not pay full price from Apple or similar.

Advertisement