Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair excessive red card and threadban in after hours

Options
  • 11-07-2018 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭

Hello/To whom it may concern

I've recently been threadbanned and issued a straight red card in the following thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057889963

No on thread warning was given and while I accept that I used the word imbecile I don't feel that this is a particularly egregious insult - especially given the use of the "dead babies" rhetoric that preceded my post, and the stigmatisation of mental health.

This is my post in question that received both the thread ban and the red card.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107488288&postcount=163

I understand that the AH forum is a difficult place to moderate at the best of times. But I think the users of the forum deserve consistency in moderation. I see posts much worse than mine receiving on thread warnings, yellow cards, and then threadbans and/or red cards. I have had no moderator warnings on this thread, nor have I had (to the best of my knowledge anyway) any prior interaction with the moderator who has carded me. I therefore do not understand why s/he has reached straight for the red.

If you look on prior threads on the topic I've been insulted including being told I should have been aborted (by Donald Trump). I reported the post and the user was given an on thread warning and then subsequently a thread ban for other posts. No card.

I've contacted the mod in question but s/he is sticking by the taken decision. Would appreciate a second look at this as I feel this is an unwarranted and unprecedented heavy handed approach.

Thanks
    ELM327

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for confirming that you’ve already attempted to resolve with the Mod. I’ll let the CMods know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hello ELM327,

I will be your host.

Can you please post the PM conversation where you tried to resolve with the Mod before coming here?

L

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sure thing. Didnt do so before as I thought posting PM content wasnt on.

Here's the messages.

Dear ELM327,

You have been infracted for personal abuse.

This site is for civil discussion and so we don't allow discussion to descend into name calling and petty abuse.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.

Kimbot

Moderator Note

p=107488288&postcount=163: Insulting other posters is not on!
    Kimbot wrote:
    ELM327 wrote:
    Absolutely ridiculous.
    What about all the other people on the thread bringing in dead babies remarks, posters like "donald trump" telling me I should have been aborted... those people didnt get infracted and threadbanned!!!

Can you please let me know if your final decision remains as infracted and banned, as I intend to follow this up in the dispute resolution forum if so.
    Thanks

ELM,

This is not about other people this is about you, if you have a problem with other posts then report the posts and they will be dealt with. Yes my final decision is for you to remain thread banned and infracted. The infraction and thread ban are 2 different actions.

Jonny
    Kimbot wrote:
    ELM327 wrote:
    Kimbot wrote:
    ELM327 wrote:
    Kimbot wrote:
    ELM327 wrote:
    Absolutely ridiculous.
    What about all the other people on the thread bringing in dead babies remarks, posters like "donald trump" telling me I should have been aborted... those people didnt get infracted and threadbanned!!!

Can you please let me know if your final decision remains as infracted and banned, as I intend to follow this up in the dispute resolution forum if so.
    Thanks

ELM,

This is not about other people this is about you, if you have a problem with other posts then report the posts and they will be dealt with. Yes my final decision is for you to remain thread banned and infracted. The infraction and thread ban are 2 different actions.

Jonny

Why was there no warning given on the thread to me first?
    Generally across all forums on this board there is a warning given on thread. I don't consider imbecile an egregious insult... if I had used a simile like vacuous would the same action have been given?

I consider from nothing to go straight to a red card and a thread ban to be very unfair

Regards

You may see it as unfair but I see it differently, there is no requirment to put an on thread warning, you insulted another poster and no matter how you gloss it thats what it is, an insult.

Never said there was a requirement... I said usually there is.
    I didnt even insult them directly, I used a mild term - imbecile is not a strong insult no matter how it is dressed up.

I'll go to the dispute resolution forum and discuss there since you have not shown any willingness to acknowledge the unfair nature of this action.

It doesnt have to be a "Strong" insult, an insult is an insult which is against the rules.

Generally it's a no no but here we keep it as open as possible for a fair review.

I will try to get to this this morning but it could be this evening before I get to it properly.

Thanks,

L

Right, I am somewhat surprised that you are here, if I am being honest....

You insulted a poster on thread which is a slam dunk Mod action.. Or am I missing something here?

As far as I can see, you got away lightly.

You will never get a warning in this situation.

I can't help you here apart from offering you the advice to go back and re engaging with the mod.
    You insulted a poster, put your hands up and take responsibility for your action instead of trying to find a way around it, it always works out better for all involved.

Regardless of the outcome of your re engagement with the Mod, any action that is imposed, I will stand over.

Your next option is to call for an admin review, other than that, this is resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Right well I am disappointed but I can't say I'm surprised.
    Some closing points:

"You will never get a warning in this situation." This is not factually correct as other more egregious behaviour goes unchecked or with an on thread warning all the time in After Hours. You can refuse to address this, similar to the mod, which will close the issue out (there's obviously no point carrying this further as I have escalated it twice without resolve so far, why would a third review be different). It is however not "resolved" as I have not learned anything from the experience.

Thanks for reviewing.
    I will contact the moderator involved and ascertain how long my threadban is for.

As you mentioned in your OP, AH is an extremely difficult forum to Moderate and some issues will fall through the cracks.
    The Moderators are volunteers and are not online 24/7.
    In some situations, the report post button is needed as to flag an issue, the issue will be dealt with if it is seen as an issue.

It is somewhat disappointing that you feel that you can insult a poster and get away with it.
    You mentioned that you have not 'learned' anything, I am very hopeful that you have learned that insulting others will result in a Mod action.

As I said, take responsibility for your actions and see what the Mod comes up with.

Any feedback here?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No response.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement