Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Angled/diagonal parking spaces

• 11-07-2018 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

So Wine Street Car in Sligo has finally been resurfaced, if you are not familiar with it, it was a horrible place to park, spaces very tight, huge concrete blocks under the lighting, and a surface of the moon surface, that left your whole upper body vibrating, when trying to push a shopping trolley over it.

But it seems I will still be avoiding it, as all the new spaces are now Drive in Angled/Diagonal Parking Spaces. Great for driving into, more space around your car, but still (i find) difficult driving out of, trying to reverse out, and see around the parked cars, to see if anything coming.

Any other reason for them, other than getting more spaces in a car park, and easier to drive into, and other others still prefer to reverse into Perpendicular/side by side spaces, for an easier exit.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why not just reverse into the space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Driving area between spaces is one way, and narrower, than the previous set up, a reverse in would be at an over 90 degree angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't know the area you're referring to, but diagonal parking in general tends to be neater than vertical parking.

Reversing into vertical spaces is fine, but lots don't want to do that (beats me why not, but that's an argument for a different day) and wind up abandoned across two spaces at an angle because they can't be bothered doing the 20-point turn necessary to straighten their car up properly.

So more efficient use of spaces would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

You can't reverse into angled spaces very easily. Not unless you're doing it from the wrong direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tried it once and its a pain to get facing the correct way when you pull out. As with the OP I always reverse park in normal car parks, but diagonal ones you have to drive into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Can you put up a photo, this sounds nothing like any diagonal parking spaces I've seen.

The ones I've seen you pass them in the one way system then reverse in and drive out. Its less of an angle than parking in a normally space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Can you put up a photo, this sounds nothing like any diagonal parking spaces I've seen.

The ones I've seen you pass them in the one way system then reverse in and drive out. Its less of an angle than parking in a normally space!

The ones you seen, I imagine would have a 60 degree(ish) reverse turn. These spaces are facing the oposite angle, so driving straight in is a lot easier, compared to an 120 degree reverse.

Entry into these spaces, is something like this...

http://www.traffic-inside.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Parking_Diagonal-Both_535.jpg

Ones you seen, are probably like this...

http://media.mlive.com/news_impact/photo/reverse-angle-parking-239fa1cf33703100.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I've only ever seen parking spaces that are angled away from the direction of traffic like in the first link there, so that you drive forwards into them. I presume that's so that you won't be blocking traffic when you want to drive into a park.

seagull wrote: »
    I've only ever seen parking spaces that are angled away from the direction of traffic like in the first link there, so that you drive forwards into them. I presume that's so that you won't be blocking traffic when you want to drive into a park.

I have only ever seen drive in ones here as well, never seen reverse in ones. Not in Sligo anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement