Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours ignoring their faulty alarm

Options
  • 11-07-2018 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

I live in South Dublin and we have these neighbours a few houses up the road whose house alarm has been going off on a fairly regular basis, for 15 to 30 minutes at a time. This is a regular occurrence for a number of years now. I work from home and am often disturbed during the day. They turn their alarm on when they go on holiday knowing that their alarm is faulty. We have told them in person about their faulty alarm to which the the response from the lady of the house was that "oh yes it's a bit temperamental". We have written to them. (No response) The local council has also written to them. (Again, no response). These people are on holidays again and in the last ten days the alarm has gone off four times, including twice in the middle of the same night, for over 15 minutes on each occasion. I am sleep deprived with high blood pressure and would appreciate advice as to how these unbelievably selfish people can be persuaded to get their alarm fixed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Usually its extremely simple to fix as the sensitivity needs to be changed.

Inform them that you they leave you with no option but to commence legal proceeding under Section 108 of the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992 and the Environmental Protection Agency Act (Noise) Regulations 1994.

Inform them that a simple visit from a qualified alarm engineer would probably fix it, ensure they comply with their insurance conditions and avoid court action by neighbours.

Here's the details...

Applying to the District Court
    If this does not work, the Act allows any person, a local authority or the EPA to complain to the District Court about a noise that is ‘so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place’ and seek an order to deal with the noise nuisance. There is a small fee.

Consult the Clerk of the local District Court about an appointment for the hearing of your case. You will need to refer exactly to the legislation under which you are making the complaint – Section 108 of the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992 and the Environmental Protection Agency Act (Noise) Regulations 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

dublin99 wrote: »
    I live in South Dublin and we have these neighbours a few houses up the road whose house alarm has been going off on a fairly regular basis, for 15 to 30 minutes at a time. This is a regular occurrence for a number of years now. I work from home and am often disturbed during the day. They turn their alarm on when they go on holiday knowing that their alarm is faulty. We have told them in person about their faulty alarm to which the the response from the lady of the house was that "oh yes it's a bit temperamental". We have written to them. (No response) The local council has also written to them. (Again, no response). These people are on holidays again and in the last ten days the alarm has gone off four times, including twice in the middle of the same night, for over 15 minutes on each occasion. I am sleep deprived with high blood pressure and would appreciate advice as to how these unbelievably selfish people can be persuaded to get their alarm fixed?

If only the local burglars knew...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Which will not be specified to avoid devaluation in the event of a sale.

People who have oversensitive alarms like this should be shot.

Any time there is high winds, low flying planes, etc about 3 or four alarms go off and stay going for 20 minutes or more, much to my annoyance.

One creature across the road used to let this happen every bank holiday or when he took off on his frequent holidays. I got no joy from personal complaints to his house and the guards did not want to know.

I have found out that the creature has since died.

The alarms have stopped.

I am glad.

Another creature on the road always sets of his alarm at 8 am that lasts about 2 minutes, obviously forgetting to close some window or door before arming the wretched alarm, I hope he has a job in bomb disposal or such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Just call the Guards every time. Tell them there's a burglary in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

doolox wrote: »

Another creature on the road always sets of his alarm at 8 am that lasts about 2 minutes, obviously forgetting to close some window or door before arming the wretched alarm, I hope he has a job in bomb disposal or such like.

I get woken up regularly as well early in the morning before 7am when an alarm is set off briefly probably when someone gets up. Even if it is turned off a minute or so later, I am wide awake and cant go back to sleep.

In the past few weeks with the heat wave, it has been much worse as the house gets unbearably hot if we shut all windows to keep the noise down.

I sometimes put on a bluetooth headphone to listen to music to drown the noise....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have the same problem with a house on my road, prob 20 houses away, but goes off every day, 30 mins.. goes off for a few and back on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,000 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I know that you didn't give your full address but I think you are being quite brave giving as much of your address as you did. Not a criticism just a friendly observation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Minier81

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I know that you didn't give your full address but I think you are being quite brave giving as much of your address as you did. Not a criticism just a friendly observation :)

I think it's genius! Burglars see this, go in, everyone ignores the alarm who cried wolf and neighbours fixes his alarm to prevent future burglaries. Problem solved ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Another sleepless night ! Alarm went off THREE times for 15 minutes each. Started at 3am stopped for 10 minutes then started again.... Gave up any hope of getting back to sleep! How can people be so selfish??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

An extension ladder, a lump hammer, a pair of snips and a balaclava ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Just call the Guards every time. Tell them there's a burglary in progress.

They won't do a thing unless you have seen somebody enter. Many years ago the alarm was going off in the vacant apartment above mine, we could hear the internal bell as if it was going off inside our own place, hounding the management company got it sorted in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Noise nuisance, co court.E20

The council may say it is a "neighbour disute" as they did when i had a crowbanger going off 24/7 behind the house..

The mere threat/promise of County Court in writing stopped it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭mel123

No help to actually solving the problem OP, but its probably time to invest in some ear plugs for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Surely alarm siren is on the outside of their house, so there must be an easy way to make it quiet.
    I would anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Might be best OP to edit and remove the location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They won't do a thing unless you have seen somebody enter. Many years ago the alarm was going off in the vacant apartment above mine, we could hear the internal bell as if it was going off inside our own place, hounding the management company got it sorted in the end.

Often they won't do anything even if you are looking at a burglar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bo bridges

I live celbridge we have small holding our neighbours are nursing home owners and have a extremely faulty alarm on purpose goes for 15 minutes stops then goes for another 15 all day long some times.
    They are after our land and we do not want to sell.
    This alarm noise going on now for about 8 years now has spread to other houses in the area like Old Town Mill, Raphaels manor, Abbey Farm, Wolstons haven where there staff live and they have control of the alarms through mobile phone.
    What they do is watch or listen our movements soon as open front or back door, windows even gardening outside anything really a the alarms start house, car, and even the nursing home alarm goes off.
    Have called the guards said a breakin to my neighbours house does get owners attention.
    A couple of times you would hear 6 to 10 house alarms going at the same time in different housing estates on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bo bridges wrote: »
    I live celbridge we have small holding our neighbours are nursing home owners and have a extremely faulty alarm on purpose goes for 15 minutes stops then goes for another 15 all day long some times.
    They are after our land and we do not want to sell.
    This alarm noise going on now for about 8 years now has spread to other houses in the area like Old Town Mill, Raphaels manor, Abbey Farm, Wolstons haven where there staff live and they have control of the alarms through mobile phone.
    What they do is watch or listen our movements soon as open front or back door, windows even gardening outside anything really a the alarms start house, car, and even the nursing home alarm goes off.
    Have called the guards said a breakin to my neighbours house does get owners attention.
    A couple of times you would hear 6 to 10 house alarms going at the same time in different housing estates on purpose.

Have you considered getting help for your problems? There are a few therapist's in cellbridge that you could see before the paranoia gets worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You'd think you could prove that easily with video evidence if it was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Sounds a bit mad. We had a faulty alarm at one stage - the box on the outside was the cause, it has a tamper alarm and it was getting very sensitive - breeze could set it off.

After 2 or 3 incidents we brought someone in to sort it - as it was wrecking our heads, never mind the neighbors. Does it not drive them mad I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I think a few 3 am rings of the doorbells followed up with a note in the door explaining why and they might get the message

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

doolox wrote: »
    One creature across the road used to let this happen every bank holiday or when he took off on his frequent holidays. I got no joy from personal complaints to his house and the guards did not want to know.

I have found out that the creature has since died.

The alarms have stopped.

I am glad.

Wow. Just wow

Advertisement