Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of renovating existing house?

Options
  • 11-07-2018 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi there I wonder if anyone could give me a ball park estimate of the cost of renovating an 80 year old house which is 2500 sq feet. Needs new floors, plastering, skirting, wiring, plumbing, new kitchen, 3 bathrooms. Interested in doing it to a high spec. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

2500 sq ft is twice the size of an average house. An average house to be built in the event of a fire etc would be about €200,000 so I'm taking a wild guess at €300,000 taking into account economies of scale.

Depends on location.

Depends on nature of original build, concrete, stone etc.

Depends on location, protected building, city centre location, nature and state of neighbouring buildings, quality of access for heavy machinery and delivery of new materials and removal of old materials and rubble.

If people have to manually remove and take in all stuff by barrow and manual labour this can double costs.

You would be well advised to get a quantity surveyor and a good architect to advise better.

Then there is the costs of getting an engineer to sign off on any alteration needed to alter kitchens or do open plan designs popular nowadays which involve steelworks or removal of inside walls.

It all adds up.

Advertisement