Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to decide consultant

Options
  • 11-07-2018 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

As the name suggests my partner and I are due in March 2019 with out first.

Just a quick question (for now anyway)

How did you guys chose a consultant to go with for your first pregnancy? Obviously we are keeping this under wraps for now so don't really want to ask family members for advice just yet. We are in the Limerick area of that helps.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

To be honest for us a lot came down to preferred clinic time and cost. We are both busy in work so wanted to make sure our visits were on days that suited us when we could be nice and relaxed going in. Also some consultants will not take booking for certain due date months, for instance if they have holiday plans. We did ask friends who they went with but ended up going with a different one to any of them. We has also met our now consultant through some fertility investigations and liked her.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Hi all,

As the name suggests my partner and I are due in March 2019 with out first.

Just a quick question (for now anyway)

How did you guys chose a consultant to go with for your first pregnancy? Obviously we are keeping this under wraps for now so don't really want to ask family members for advice just yet. We are in the Limerick area of that helps.

Thanks

My GP asked which hospital we were going to and the recommended a few names of people she’d heard were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭appledrop

GP recommended some + then I looked into availabilty + which suited me best for appointments etc as different consultants sit different days of week etc.

There can also be difference in price between consultants in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

We picked the hospital first and rang the private clinic to get an idea of cost, they ranged from 2K -4.5K. I was not keen on paying above 3k so narrowed it down based on cost and also convenience of clinic times and then did some research on the options available. On second baby so went with the same consultant this time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Ring all the secretaries and get the cost, location of private clinics, days of their clinics etc. Some may be easier to get at from your work/home etc. Also check if they have any holidays booked around your due date. In Limerick they generally are all in the 3-3.5k price range. Ask your GP, friends, family for recommendations as well.

I did a lot of inquiring and I think all the Limerick based private consultants are pretty good, didn't hear any bad stories about them. I'm currently with Dr Slevin on my second and like him. I went public on my first and had Dr Nauru do a lot of my scans (as I had a condition that would classify me as a higher risk) and liked her too. Had someone else involved with the delivery of my first (no idea who, it was all a blur) and whoever she was did a good job stitching me up after :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wanted a female consultant so went from there.

Advertisement