Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSeries rebrand + orders

Options
  • 11-07-2018 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭

So Airbus have taken control of the Bombardier CSeries project now, have rebranded it as the A220 and Jetblue have announced the second largest order for the type to date

Quite a turnaround for something that looked dead and buried after the first US court judgement on it.

I could see these being a replacement for what EI tried to do with the 319s, but with an actually properly lower operating cost. Thinner routes outside the range of the ATR, quieter time of day flights from airports they won't serve on prop (LHR, LGW etc) - they're big enough to justify operating in house also, no need to deal with HR issues of contracting out jet flights.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Not too sure on the name tbh. Great news for the program though because I think it's a great looking aircraft.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Personally I think its a shame that the name has been changed.
    I was rooting for Bombardier but then breaking into the duopoly was always going to be a tough campaign.

I wonder what sort of deal was made between Jetblue and Airbus to be able to announce this order as the rebranding happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I really liked the CSeries name, it just looked and sounded great compared to the generic numbers most manufacturers have. I think A220 sounds clumsy, it certainly doesn't roll off the tongue and while I see what Airbus was trying to do, I wish they just carried on with their natural number sequence which would have been the A360 family. 

Obviously the name won't matter in the long run, it's all about the aircraft itself and the sales team at Airbus. I'm delighted to see the JetBlue order announced so quickly, that's a big boost for the programme and I'm sure a few more are being lined up for the Farnborough Air Show later this month. 

As a passenger I cannot fault the CSeries, it's a dream to fly with a modern and spacious cabin, wide aisles and seats for easy boarding, huge windows, great overhead space and super quiet engines. Bombardier promoted the CSeries as widebody comfort at narrowbody economics and they're not wrong, it's head and shoulders above anything Boeing or Airbus have in their short haul line up.

Advertisement