Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work GPS Tracking

Options
  • 11-07-2018 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

My employer wants to monitor my movement in the car to tracking and time sales visits that I'm making. There is an app on the phone, which requires root permissions that captures where I am via GPS. Installing is mandatory as phone is company property. App in head office provides mgmt. with historical tracking of where I've been.

What is the best way to stop this from working at moments of my choosing e.g. should I turn off phone, put in lead box in car, take out battery etc.?

Which of these will create least suspicion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

Eamo01 wrote: »
    Hi,

My employer wants to monitor my movement in the car to tracking and time sales visits that I'm making. There is an app on the phone, which requires root permissions that captures where I am via GPS. Installing is mandatory as phone is company property. App in head office provides mgmt. with historical tracking of where I've been.

What is the best way to stop this from working at moments of my choosing e.g. should I turn off phone, put in lead box in car, take out battery etc.?

Is the car a company car? If so I'd be checking your contract of your allowed to drive it outside of company time. Benefit In Kind etc. Blocking the app constantly will only lead to 1 thing...P45.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Eamo01

Payton wrote: »
    Is the car a company car? If so I'd be checking your contract of your allowed to drive it outside of company time. Benefit In Kind etc. Blocking the app constantly will only lead to 1 thing...P45.

It’s on my phone, and yes it’s a compan phone. I would prefer not to be traceable when I’m not working...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

If it to stop it logging when you are not working, then turn the phone off when you are not working and that is enough.

If you are expected to have the phone on when not working (on call etc) then I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It’s on my phone, and yes it’s a compan phone. I would prefer not to be traceable when I’m not working...

Apparently it is not 'your' phone so the company decides.

Maybe use an alternative phone when not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

It's not your phone. You should have received a policy from the company of how and when to use it e.g. no social media, no overuse with calls or texts that are not work related, if the phone is damaged who pays for it etc.
    I have 2 phones. 1 is my personal phone and the other is a company phone with their software and app on it. While im working the phone must be kept on for work reasons, when im driving home in the company van that has a device 'to monitor my driving behavior' a tracker to you and me. So come 5pm my work phone is turned off.
    I'm sure you can log out of the app or disable it. Talk to your IT department regarding the app of how to shut the app down or else buy your own phone so when you go out leave the work phone at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

you could simply buy a cheap sim free phone and put the work sim card into it - for example http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4981558/Trail/searchtext%3ESIM+FREE.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,580 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hi,

It's this sentence that has me intruiged, do you wish to block them from knowing where you are for an hour or 2 during your work hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Just turn off the phone and leave it locked in your car when you are not working. Put a SIM card in a cheap or old phone and give them the number if you are required to be contactable when not working and keep this with you.

Alternatively if you have a dual sim phone of your own, just give them the phone number of the second SIM, would save you carrying two phones when not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joe Chang

May be a bluetooth beacon is good enough for you. Otherwise a gps tracker. Bluetooth beacons are hardware transmitters - a class of Bluetooth low energy (LE) devices that broadcast their identifier to nearby portable electronic devices.
    https://www.gofleet.com/product/ZenBeacon-BLE-bluetooth-tracking-tags

Advertisement