Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Connell Street Dublin. What the fook like

• 11-07-2018 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Anyone else been on it lately?

Was up there today and all I can say is its in a terrible state.

What are Dublin City Council at? I know there is a drought but surely there is some other way to clean it. What do other rich countries that do not get much water clean there main streets with?

First thing I will say is if you are planning on walking on it make sure its not your good shoes or runners/trainers whatever you wana call them. Might have to get them cleaned afterwards or get someone to do it for you.

Its horrible. Like walking on a street that has had fizzy drinks spilled all over it all sticky and well horrible. Thing is Henry Street and Grafton Street even Talbot Street all seemed to be ok. So why is O'Connell Street so bad?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

It's a sh*thole, but it's our sh*thole.

(It is really depressing that there are no decent restaurants / café's along here).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

verycool wrote: »
    It's a sh*thole, but it's our sh*thole.

(It is really depressing that there are no decent restaurants / café's along here).

Tasty and tempting food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The walking dead claimed it long time ago sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

O'Connell St is a cesspit festering with addicts & drug dealing. Best avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Junkies

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Tis Yourself?

Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Not just there, some parts of Henry St and North Earl St the same, it's like the street cleaning vans have been using some new solution which just leaves a sticky residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Looks like they're not cleaning the streets, don't realize how clean rain keeps things until it's gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Is it tree sap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

" Rain, Rain! Go away!"

Not any more!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is it tree sap?

It is indeed, and most town centres around the country are exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

O Connell Street is an absolute disgrace, it’s cheap and tacky with absolutely no appeal to tourists or anyone else for that matter. All the shops and restaurants are cheap and nasty affairs and the entire place should be bullldozed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

What I like is how the addicts sit on the statue right at o Connell bridge. Greeting the tourists with their beauty. I seen one of them roaring at an Asian looking girl last week that it was her fault her kids were up there. I’m not sure what the Asian girl did but I looked at her to show her I wasn’t happy with her putting people’s kids up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

O'Connell Street is a disgrace. Cheap burger joints, crappy souvenir shops and a general air of tackiness and tawdriness about it. It's a real symbol of the brown envelope days and money speaking louder than taste or culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

O'Connell Street is a disgrace. Cheap burger joints, crappy souvenir shops and a general air of tackiness and tawdriness about it. It's a real symbol of the brown envelope days and money speaking louder than taste or culture.

There were genuine attempts to clean it up but it’s in a rough area.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Guitar_Monkey

It's not just O'Connell st, it's the city centre in general. It's absolutely filthy and a disgrace. Take a look at the state of the Ha'penny bridge, one of the main tourist attractions. In most other major cities it would be spotless !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

All the Duke of Leinster's fault.
    If he hadn't moved south across the river, Sackville St. would still be a glorious thoroughfare.

Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
    Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It's not just O'Connell st, it's the city centre in general. It's absolutely filthy and a disgrace. Take a look at the state of the Ha'penny bridge, one of the main tourist attractions. In most other major cities it would be spotless !

Oh there are lots of dirty European cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Is it tree sap?

Yes - but don't let the truth get in the way of a good junky/Dublin/council bashing thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Time to privatise the cleaning. The current system is failing.

I wrote several emails to Dublin City Co.co regarding the cleaning or indeed extreme lack there of. Never got a response.

The public bins themselves are absolutely mankey. All could be avoided with a regular clean down with a simple rag, soap and water.

The streets need regular power hoseing.

The whole local Authority CoCo is fraught and strangled with industrial relation issues.

Private cleaning is carried out by and large by mininum wage zero contract foreign nationals satisfactorily. (Not saying that is correct). Dublin CoCo Street cleaners seem to be Dubs, many of which are related. Huge disparaggy.

It stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Not if you're a drug dealer or addict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

When the sun is out, the city centre looks even dirtier. Ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh its strange I must say the Oconnell Street is as bad as it is, and just a stones throw away all the grafton street area is really nice

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Came here to wonder the same...walked up North Earl St and left onto O'Connell. Yikes! It was like a disco bar in Tullamore at 4 in the morning. Sticky and filthy stains. This was on Cleary's side. Made it to central median lucky to have shoes still on.
    Whilst the pavements were badly stained everywhere but particularly around O'C statue it was only sticky on the east of the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

More say an invasion at night of dangerous men Vikings maybe , or possibly Berbers from Morocco.
    Cut throats , one and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don't get the love in with Grafton st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Chinasea wrote: »
    Time to privatise the cleaning. The current system is failing.

I wrote several emails to Dublin City Co.co regarding the cleaning or indeed extreme lack there of. Never got a response.

The public bins themselves are absolutely mankey. All could be avoided with a regular clean down with a simple rag, soap and water.

The streets need regular power hoseing.

The whole local Authority CoCo is fraught and strangled with industrial relation issues.

Private cleaning is carried out by and large by mininum wage zero contract foreign nationals satisfactorily. (Not saying that is correct). Dublin CoCo Street cleaners seem to be Dubs, many of which are related. Huge disparaggy.

It stinks.

That’s the spirit let’s sack all the dubs and hire foreign nationals, pay them min wage and no job security. Another one who just wants a race to the bottom regarding wages and terms and conditions.
    When we get rid of the dubs, where do you think they’ll end up? Claiming the dole perhaps? Who pays for that?
    Think before you post please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭conor2469

Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still.
    Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip 5hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Unless you happened to be be a smack dealer, in which case it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Last week I seen tourists trying to take pictures of the GPO around 8pm but you could see the look of bewilderment on their face at the state of the place which was doubling as a kitchen for zombies with half eaten sandwiches and bowls of God kows what strewn about the place. Go and use the outside of Brown Thomas as such and see how long it's allowed.

Same goes for us allowing begging on the Ha'penny Bridge. Tourists come from all over the world to take photos on that bridge and when they get here they have to do their best to take pics which don't include the professional homeless junkies hanging around at their feet. Wouldn't be tolerated in any other country, sitting at a tourist attraction for hours on end.

tom1ie wrote: »
    That’s the spirit let’s sack all the dubs and hire foreign nationals, pay them min wage and no job security. Another one who just wants a race to the bottom regarding wages and terms and conditions.
    When we get rid of the dubs, where do you think they’ll end up? Claiming the dole perhaps? Who pays for that?
    Think before you post please.

You are missing the point. Unless we address the elephant in the room, nothing will change.

IMO, the cleansing department in Dublin city is NOT working.

Why?

How come the majority of private cleaning is carried out by foreign nationals. I am not saying that is right or wrong.

What I am saying is that the majority of Dublins Co.Co cleansing department workers are Dubs, often having family members/relations working in the same teams. I don't see any diversity whatsoever. The Co.Co is strangled with industrial relations issues and mismanagement. Like I said I have written politely several times and NEVER had an answer.

My observations are that our city stinks. The current system is failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Last week I seen tourists trying to take pictures of the GPO around 8pm but you could see the look of bewilderment on their face at the state of the place which was doubling as a kitchen for zombies with half eaten sandwiches and bowls of God kows what strewn about the place. Go and use the outside of Brown Thomas as such and see how long it's allowed.

Same goes for us allowing begging on the Ha'penny Bridge. Tourists come from all over the world to take photos on that bridge and when they get here they have to do their best to take pics which don't include the professional homeless junkies hanging around at their feet. Wouldn't be tolerated in any other country, sitting at a tourist attraction for hours on end.

So you are saying we should stop feeding the homeless because tourists cannot get a good souvenir, and that we should prioritise bridges over people?

Should pass a bye-law prohibiting loitering or impeding passage in a narrow thoroughfare. That would fix the Ha'penny Bridge.
    Guards could clear it every 15-20 mins until they eventually get the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

begbysback wrote: »
    So you are saying we should stop feeding the homeless because tourists cannot get a good souvenir, and that we should prioritise bridges over people?

c11.jpg

• Advertisement

Why are they feeding the homeless at all? It's hardly like their dole went towards high rent? I mean they are homeless so they would have plenty dosh for food at least. Unless something else is going on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

It's a big dump but then so is Dublin, so it's to be expected.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh its strange I must say the Oconnell Street is as bad as it is, and just a stones throw away all the grafton street area is really nice

Yeah, I was reading recently that most of O'Connell Street was also pulverised in Easter 1916 not from the boat the Helga as most Irish people might think but from the, em, "Grafton Street area".

Taytoland wrote: »

And is it Ballymena, Ballymoney, Larne, Portadown or Carrickfergus that you're writing from, Tayto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP is right, the footpaths of OConnell St at the moment are manky, Ive never seen them as bad. There is so much gunk on them that your runners get stuck walking along. And theyve been like this for around 5 or 6 weeks now since we last had a good drop of rain. DCC should be ashamed with how bad they have let it get and right now their only strategy seems to be hoping for rain to wash the crap away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Taytoland wrote: »

And is it Ballymena, Ballymoney, Larne, Portadown or Carrickfergus that you're writing from, Tayto?
    Gods country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Ikea Could be coming to O'Connell Street. Hopefully that will help towards cleaning it up a bit.

There are so many run down buildings along O'Connell street. I think the it's a circular problem, nobody wants to rent there because its ****, and nobody wants to do it up because nobody wants to rent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Lived all my life in Dublin. Can't recall the last time I was on O Connells Street. It was before the Spire went up cos I've never seen it up close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think we can all agree that it's better than that boardwalk :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Maybe street cleaning is currently being curtailed because of the water shortage?

Edit: I'm not sure if water is used to clean the streets in Dublin but I've certainly seen it in other cities.

Edit 2: The problem with O'Connell street is the number of lower working classes living right beside it...which in my opinion is just crazy for a capital city. No one in long-term unemployment should have the luxury to live and have their rent paid in what should be a highly sought after location. It's not like they need to live there.

We do in this country seem to have an OTT attitude to those who are 'disadvantaged'. Oh don't even think about taking away the right of ppl who don't have an income to live in a prime location, where workers who have to travel into the city for work can't afford to live within walking distance and have to travel on a shoddy bus service to get there. And what do get for this attitude? A dirty rotten city center street which in fact has so much potential to be a wonderful area.

What Dublin needs is a no tolerance approach to scuzz but I don't think any politician or councillor has the balls to do it, lest they be accused of attacking the 'most vulnerable' in society.

That dark paving doesn't help either. Renders the street lighting useless at night. Just has the air of a menacing unwelcoming place as a result.

There is no Street cleaning ever. Power hosing should be part of the cleaning programme, but it isn't. The streets are power hosed regularly in Spain where they would have a lot less water. Does not have to be pristine drinking water.

No outside the box thinking nor implementation.

As you already know, no thats not what he's saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

All of town is stinking. The paths are just disgusting. We need about 48 hours of rain.

GarIT wrote: »
    Ikea Could be coming to O'Connell Street. Hopefully that will help towards cleaning it up a bit.

There are so many run down buildings along O'Connell street. I think the it's a circular problem, nobody wants to rent there because its ****, and nobody wants to do it up because nobody wants to rent there.

There are plans for a new shopping centre on oconnell street. It will link moore street and Oconnell Street, should definitely help the area. It'll be at the site of where the old dublin central park in the sky thing fell through, it'll be a less retail heavy scheme and the architect wants to create a little warren of streets and alleys that respect dublins history

It could be really good for the area

• Advertisement
Advertisement