Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Connell Street Dublin. What the fook like

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

wakka12 wrote: »
    There are plans for a new shopping centre on oconnell street. It will link moore street and Oconnell Street, should definitely help the area. It'll be at the site of where the old dublin central park in the sky thing fell through, it'll be a less retail heavy scheme and the architect wants to create a little warren of streets and alleys that respect dublins history

It could be really good for the area

Could be ideal for mugging ambushes?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

AllForIt wrote: »
    Maybe street cleaning is currently being curtailed because of the water shortage?

Edit: I'm not sure if water is used to clean the streets in Dublin but I've certainly seen it in other cities.

Edit 2: The problem with O'Connell street is the number of lower working classes living right beside it...which in my opinion is just crazy for a capital city. No one in long-term unemployment should have the luxury to live and have their rent paid in what should be a highly sought after location. It's not like they need to live there.

We do in this country seem to have an OTT attitude to those who are 'disadvantaged'. Oh don't even think about taking away the right of ppl who don't have an income to live in a prime location, where workers who have to travel into the city for work can't afford to live within walking distance and have to travel on a shoddy bus service to get there. And what do get for this attitude? A dirty rotten city center street which in fact has so much potential to be a wonderful area.

What Dublin needs is a no tolerance approach to scuzz but I don't think any politician or councillor has the balls to do it, lest they be accused of attacking the 'most vulnerable' in society.

Your some Tulip :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Chinasea wrote: »
    There is no Street cleaning ever. Power hosing should be part of the cleaning programme, but it isn't. The streets are power hosed regularly in Spain where they would have a lot less water. Does not have to be pristine drinking water.

No outside the box thinking nor implementation.

I've been around Dublin 1 and 2 frequently over the last few years and the streets are cleaned almost every night I've been out between 2 and 5.
    I haven't been on O'Connell street as much but Jervis Street and Grafton Street are always wet on weekend nights even when it hasn't rained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Is it tree sap?

I think everyone has missed this, it is tree sap OP that's why Henry Street is fine as there are no trees.

Sure look at the state of some cars parked under trees, the stuff is awful to get off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

O Connell Street is so bad even Ann summers moved out ...so must be bad if the sex shops don’t want to trade on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

AllForIt wrote: »
    Maybe street cleaning is currently being curtailed because of the water shortage?

No doubt that is what DCC would claim now but the hosepipe ban wasnt in force for all of June yet they let the streets get filthy. Plus the ban only applies to households.

There is no Street cleaning ever. Power hosing should be part of the cleaning programme, but it isn't. The streets are power hosed regularly in Spain where they would have a lot less water. Does not have to be pristine drinking water.

This 100 times. Anytime Im in other European countries you see crews of council workers out late at night washing the streets. It never seems to happen here in any meaningful sense of lets keep the place looking well.

Businesses also have a lot to answer for, if you walk around the city center just look upwards and youll see dirty filth over most of the buildings which never seem to get a powerwash down. Theres buildings all along Dame Street whose windows dont look like they have ever been properly washed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Should fire the idiot who decided those trees would be good on O'Connell St. One day I'm gonna be walking there and not be able to move
    And it's nothing to do with the drought and no water, that side of the street is like it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Galadriel

fritzelly wrote: »
    Should fire the idiot who decided those trees would be good on O'Connell St. One day I'm gonna be walking there and not be able to move
    And it's nothing to do with the drought and no water, that side of the street is like it all the time.

Maybe it is but the heat and the sap from the trees isn't helping, I walk up Parnell street daily and couldn't figure out why I was sticking to the footpath more than normal :pac:

Galadriel wrote: »
    Maybe it is but the heat and the sap from the trees isn't helping, I walk up Parnell street daily and couldn't figure out why I was sticking to the footpath more than normal :pac:

Like that all the time (minus the heat), what must tourists think

Is it really just bug poo tho :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Not to give any of you ideas but back in the latter half of the 19th century Napoleon III (nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte) hired a guy named Georges-Eugene Haussmann to essentially demolish Paris city and start from scratch, building wide avenues and modern water and sanitary conditions across the whole city. Yes, you read it correctly. An absolutely fascinating history of the rebuilding of Paris here:

Haussman's Renovation of Paris

And, just in case you think we couldn't do that because of our population:
    The population of Paris was recorded as 949,000 in 1851. It grew to 1,130,500 in 1856 and was just short of two million by the end of Second Empire, including the 400,000 residents of the suburbs annexed to Paris in 1860.

It's a topic for a thread of its own. We could design the city to be pedestrian, cyclist and public transport friendly and so much else. All we need is imagination, pride and money.

Probably plenty of places where you could just build a new city in Ireland and leave Dublin alone but could we please get someone who knows what they are doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

verycool wrote: »
    It's a sh*thole, but it's our sh*thole.
    It's not my sh*thole

West Ireland is best Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If a massive sinkhole took away O’Connell st. tomorrow, I wouldn’t shed a tear.

I wrote to the local council to suggest that they flood the place and make it the new Venice but I haven’t heard back yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It's too wide
    We need a row of buildings down the middle and make two streets out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone else been on it lately?

Was up there today and all I can say is its in a terrible state.

What are Dublin City Council at? I know there is a drought but surely there is some other way to clean it. What do other rich countries that do not get much water clean there main streets with?

First thing I will say is if you are planning on walking on it make sure its not your good shoes or runners/trainers whatever you wana call them. Might have to get them cleaned afterwards or get someone to do it for you.

Its horrible. Like walking on a street that has had fizzy drinks spilled all over it all sticky and well horrible. Thing is Henry Street and Grafton Street even Talbot Street all seemed to be ok. So why is O'Connell Street so bad?

Just blast it with piss water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Immigrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Except 10 days ago. Which people also moaned about.

https://twitter.com/RoisinMWhite/status/1013681276002406400?s=19

Except 10 days ago. Which people also moaned about.

https://twitter.com/RoisinMWhite/status/1013681276002406400?s=19

They had to, was like fly paper - pretty sure I passed the same people in the same spot 2 days running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    It's too wide
    We need a row of buildings down the middle and make two streets out of it

Nah, the opposite, pedestrianise the whole thing, getting rid of the roads and stick markets in the middle, but classier stuff not Moore street stuff.

When that's done pedestrianise the whole quays, and all around trinity except for busses and trams. And maybe St. Stephens Green too.

I drive, I'd pick my car over public transport at any cost, even driving to college in Dublin 1 but we need to get cars out of Dublin 1 and 2 completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets.

With Climate change and the weather we've seen this year, We know the big snow will come next year in it will be pristine for 3 days in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

try the streets around Guinness with all the tourist horse and carts sh*tting all over the shop day after day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Pedestrianisation was the ruination .....this is how it was in it's glory, could be a foto from any major city like Paris or Rome

stafford047.jpg?itok=SZ3e4_HT

and they'll be doing the same to Dame street and anywhere else the lefty liberals can get their mitts on

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

I haven't been on O'Connell street as much but Jervis Street and Grafton Street are always wet on weekend nights even when it hasn't rained.[/quote]

That's from all the damp yokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^^it's not the pedestrianisation thats the issue is it? it's the crap shops, ropey characters

Shop front legislation could be something worth considering. We're all restricted by what we can do to the front of our house, why don't businesses have to have their fronts up to a high standard?

Why can’t they do something like this Tarragona in Spain ...was here a few weeks ago and it was lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Few pics of what the OP is referring to........

20180712_204717.jpg

20180712_204544.jpg

20180712_205103.jpg

20180712_204601.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Pedestrianisation was the ruination .....this is how it was in it's glory, could be a foto from any major city like Paris or Rome

and they'll be doing the same to Dame street and anywhere else the lefty liberals can get their mitts on

No. It could never ever be like Paris or Rome. Never ever ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

harr wrote: »
    Why can’t they do something like this Tarragona in Spain ...was here a few weeks ago and it was lovely

Because it would be wrecked by the scummers here

seachto7 wrote: »
    Because it would be wrecked by the scummers here
    Plenty of scum in Spain as well...but I have seen them ran off it, surely on our capitals Main Street the guards should have a zero tolerance approach..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

One could simply pump some water out of the Liffey or some other cleaner stream preferably and use that for powerwashing but if word gets out they did that you'll have every second eejit walking down that street suing the council because they allegedly breathed in some deadly bacteria and were sick for weeks after it.

If they use Denis O'Brien water as normal they can say it's ISO 9000 Fairtrade certified organic water with an extra dollop of bleach and the courtcase will be thrown out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not to give any of you ideas but back in the latter half of the 19th century Napoleon III (nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte) hired a guy named Georges-Eugene Haussmann to essentially demolish Paris city and start from scratch, building wide avenues and modern water and sanitary conditions across the whole city. Yes, you read it correctly. An absolutely fascinating history of the rebuilding of Paris here:

Haussman's Renovation of Paris

And, just in case you think we couldn't do that because of our population:

It's a topic for a thread of its own. We could design the city to be pedestrian, cyclist and public transport friendly and so much else. All we need is imagination, pride and money.
    Seeing how ugly modern architecture is in 21st C and how bad design standards in general are today, Id rather not, don't have much faith they'd have it in them to design a nice city

If people were still willing or able to make beautiful buildings like they did at the time of the reconstruction of paris then sure though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

GarIT wrote: »

Ehhh nah you're alright..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I always hate these type of threads as they often turn into Dublin Bashing threads with exaggerated viewpoints on crime and junkies.

However, I was on O'Connell Street at the end of June and I really noticed how dirty and grubby looking the pavements were.

It''s really bad.

O'Connell Street is a fine street and it should be kept to the highest standards by the council for cleanliness and facilities on it.

Shame not to see the "Civic Plaza" turn out as intended and see a vibrant shopping and cafe culture there. It should be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The big issue was they picked the wrong paving colour. They’ll always look bad as it’s a single colour, grey.

The same mistake was repeated on the repaving of grafton street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

To clean the street properly you must start with the human scum that has ruined the street in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Kip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I say we take off and nuke the street from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I say we take off and nuke the street from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

That didn't work, remember?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

EdgeCase wrote: »
    The big issue was they picked the wrong paving colour. They’ll always look bad as it’s a single colour, grey.

The same mistake was repeated on the repaving of grafton street.

No. This is a commonly used type and colour of street paving. The bloody surfaces just need maintained which they aren't.

Regular powerhosing and sweeping. The place is covered in cigarette butts and plastic bottles also. So unless swept they ain't gonna go anywhere except into the sea eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

O'Connell St is a cesspit festering with addicts & drug dealing. Best avoided.

It really isn't. Yesterday for example, it was full of Spanish students laughing and getting photos at the spire, a tour of German oaps admiring the gpo as a tour guide told them about its history, and loads of teenagers milling about around Penny's.

It isn't perfect, but to describe is it as "a cesspit full of drug addicts" is ridiculous, and the sort of stuff you'd expect to find sheltered folk saying on the comments section of the journal.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What I like is how the addicts sit on the statue right at o Connell bridge. Greeting the tourists with their beauty. I seen one of them roaring at an Asian looking girl last week that it was her fault her kids were up there. I’m not sure what the Asian girl did but I looked at her to show her I wasn’t happy with her putting people’s kids up there.

what?

sonofenoch wrote: »

that looks horrible

harr wrote: »

it is lovely - but that entire stretch would be covered in beggars and junkies in no time were we to do it here..

oh and overweight Guards strolling along eating ice creams of course

O'Connell St is a cesspit festering with addicts & drug dealing. Best avoided.
    Pkiernan wrote: »
    Junkies
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Not if you're a drug dealer or addict.
    Taytoland wrote: »
    It's a big dump but then so is Dublin, so it's to be expected.
    To clean the street properly you must start with the human scum that has ruined the street in the first place.
    McDermotX wrote: »
    Kip

These are the typical anti Dublin comments left on these type of threads by people who are probably never in Dublin.

O'Connell Street can certainly do with improvements but walk down it any day and it's full of tourists, shoppers, workers and students etc.

It's vibrant and busy.

People should stop giving the impression that it's dangerous or dominated by junkies when it's not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

murpho999 wrote: »
    These are the typical anti Dublin comments left on these type of threads by people who are probably never in Dublin.

Well, one of the users you quoted is/was a bouncer in Dublin and another is a prison man officer warden guard person in a Dublin prison.

So that's at least two who are regularly in Dublin. The place is an awful mess to be fair. Some serious sandblasting needed at the very least.

Well, one of the users you quoted is/was a bouncer in Dublin and another is a prison man officer warden guard person in a Dublin prison.

So that's at least two who are regularly in Dublin. The place is an awful mess to be fair. Some serious sandblasting needed at the very least.

and that f**king Quirkey's tarp abomination - how is that still there?

there needs to be some sort of penalty for sitting on such prime land and doing sh!t all with it..

So that makes them authorities on Dublin and the people on O'Connell Street?

Prison Officers and Bouncers: They regular deal with the nice people of Dublin alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

walking along the notrthside of the quays last night and the footpath was grand. Got to woodquay where there's trees and it's sticky as fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The trees are about the least most offensive thing on O'Connell Street. Jeez leave them alone. Just clean the paths now and again. Please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement