Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Connell Street Dublin. What the fook like

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

I remember there used to be trees and water fountains on O Connell street when I was growing up in the 90's. There was a different feel to the street.

Anna Livia statue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

jcorr wrote: »
    I remember there used to be trees and water fountains on O Connell street when I was growing up in the 90's. There was a different feel to the street.

Anna Livia statue

The Anna Livia statue was nice whle it was there, but I think a lot of rubbish was being thrown into it, so it had to be moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

topper75 wrote: »
    Why are they feeding the homeless at all? It's hardly like their dole went towards high rent? I mean they are homeless so they would have plenty dosh for food at least.

Every cloud eh:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was on OCS earlier and at least that bit of rain yesterday improved things somewhat, the stickyness of the pavements is gone. There was still a fair bit of litter about and the junkies at the Daniel OConnell statue were in fine fettle, nothing has changed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭wonderwall900

acai berry wrote: »
    The Anna Livia statue was nice whle it was there, but I think a lot of rubbish was being thrown into it, so it had to be moved.

So now they just throw rubbish all over the street instead.

• Advertisement

I pass through O'Connell street twice a day. Around lunchtime and around midnight. Never had any trouble aside from beggars but between the filth, the poor lighting and closed down shops it has an atmosphere of dodginess.

Ive seen DCC street cleaning vans going along but its almost comical. It drives along slowly with a sort of big brush going around in circles but most of the rubbish went off the road onto the pavement.

The number one problem, in my opinion, is there is no one organization or body who's job it is to take pride in that area.

All the shops were giving out when the luas works was going on about the impact to their business but now its finished its amazing you don't hear anything from them about the state of the place now its finished.

I don't mind the fast food places too much but Dr Quirkys is an eye sore and more suitable to Bray. Clerys is a loss but with a bit of joined up thinking you could get a tenant in there easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

I pass through O'Connell street twice a day. Around lunchtime and around midnight. Never had any trouble aside from beggars but between the filth, the poor lighting and closed down shops it has an atmosphere of dodginess.

Ive seen DCC street cleaning vans going along but its almost comical. It drives along slowly with a sort of big brush going around in circles but most of the rubbish went off the road onto the pavement.

The number one problem, in my opinion, is there is no one organization or body who's job it is to take pride in that area.

All the shops were giving out when the luas works was going on about the impact to their business but now its finished its amazing you don't hear anything from them about the state of the place now its finished.

I don't mind the fast food places too much but Dr Quirkys is an eye sore and more suitable to Bray. Clerys is a loss but with a bit of joined up thinking you could get a tenant in there easily enough.

As long as they don't put in another shopping mall something like the Irish Life Centre, Talbot Street. IMO, there's nothing to like about that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

acai berry wrote: »
    As long as they don't put in another shopping mall something like the Irish Life Centre, Talbot Street. IMO, there's nothing to like about that place.

Unless you're a fan of Mary Celeste levels of abandonment right in the heart of the city. That place is surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't get why they can't just send a letter to all the businesses on Oconnell Street and tell them what type of signage is permitted on it, its an architectural conservation area (lol) so they could easily order businesses to change their shopfronts to be in compliance with it.So what gives? Why have they never done it? Im only 22 but as long as I can remember there has always always always been discussions to improve the street and make it a world class plaza but as you say nothing has changed or if anything its declined

I wonder do nice places like ranelagh have enforced rules about signage or is it just chance?

Just on your first point, I was in Salzburg earlier in the year and the main shopping street there has his kind of a rule. Only a certain type of shopfront sign is permitted, even MacDonalds had to conform. I think the problem is with the type of shops though, and re than the signage. And what is with allowing ****ty stalls selling tat set up on the main thoroughfare in the City ? There is a lot wrong with O'Connell St, I do think however that some of the commentry regarding Junkies etc is ott.

Advertisement