Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remortgage for home improvements

Options
  • 11-07-2018 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Considering the option of a remortgage on our property to free up equity for home improvements (and/or other bits).

Has anyone been through the process of late?

I’d the idea that one would apply for the remortgage, be granted the affordable equity amount and then be able to work away with it. There seems to be more involved now with pre-valuation, post-valuation, engineer/architect sign off, staged release of funds etc.

What if we wanted to use a portion of the money for a car etc?

I just want to see what someone’s real life experience looked like before we go headlong into this.

Cheers,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If you want a car, get a car loan. It’s not 2006 now, The days of people buying cars with mortgage money are long gone. Why would you want to pay for a car over a period of 10+ years???
    Anyhow.
    We did a re-mortgage/ equity release recently for home improvements. It took bloody ages, and I don’t know if it was worth the hassle (and the cost) for what we will save on interest over a personal loan, but it’s handy not to be under pressure to pay back over 7 years.
    We went in and applied for x amount. They did up our application based on salaries, affordability etc. Draw down was on invoices, we didn’t need an engineer to sign off, but I think that’s because we weren’t getting too much money, and because our LTV was very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Oh yes, we did also have to get a valuation, but again, just one for the mortgage papers, we didn’t have to get it re-valued afterwards.
    We had the option of drawing down in 2 stages. The first stage had to be at least 20k.
    I (obviously) don’t know how much you’re thinking of borrowing, but it has to be at least 25k to qualify for mortgage interest rates

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sent you a PM.

Advertisement