Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DRLs NOT working since LED W5W bulbs installed.

• 11-07-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Bought myself a 2012 Merc the other day but dont like the light off the parking W5W bulbs, so bought myself some OSRAM LED W5W bulbs and resistors.

With standard W5W parking bulbs installed, once car is started DRL's(LED DRL's) come on

BUT

With LED W5W parking bulbs and resistors installed, once car is started LED parking bulbs and dims come on, DRL's do NOT come on at all..

Anyone any ideas why this is, would it be something to do with the resistors???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the car thinks the bulbs are blown, needs a CANBUS resistor for them. resistor you have may not be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

i have not touched the DRL's on the car, they are factory LED DRL's...

Why would the parking bulbs interfere with the DRL's though?

rocksolid wrote: »
    i have not touched the DRL's on the car, they are factory LED DRL's...

Why would the parking bulbs interfere with the DRL's though?

What car is it and ill look up the circuit, some cars do funny things to save cable like polarity swapping and diodes or light modules looking for specific values , the object is to have the least amount of wiring between the lighting feed from the bumper to the relay box.

its a Merc E200 Elegance

thanks

its a Merc E220 Elegance

thanks

what year / model year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wait a Sec. Are the DRLs and parking lights actually supposed to come on together?

what year / model year

2012 E200 CDI BE Elegance ECO

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wait a Sec. Are the DRLs and parking lights actually supposed to come on together?

Not on this merc anyways, when you start it on the DRL's come on.

where did you fit the resistors , I can't find a full diagram but it appears that its a relay between the DRL's and parking lights and the change of bulb / position of a resistor may be creating an artificial ground.

• Advertisement

You can get regular bulbs in Halfords that shine bright white. The bulbs themselves look blue but shine white.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-bulbs/halfords-501-w5w-pure-white-hid-effect-car-bulbs-x-2

try plug them in the other way so the polarity is different (from the vehicle harness side)

You can get regular bulbs in Halfords that shine bright white. The bulbs themselves look blue but shine white.

Yep iv got them philips whitevision W5w but they are nowhere near white, granted they do take a yellow hue away, but im just not a fan of them...

Yep iv got them philips whitevision W5w but they are nowhere near white, granted they do take a yellow hue away, but im just not a fan of them...

+1 I got a set of those to match my e38 xenons and they were just nowhere near white.

try plug them in the other way so the polarity is different (from the vehicle harness side)

im not following you, i can only plug them in the one way no?

take out bulb, plug resister into harness then put led into other end.

+1 I got a set of those to match my e38 xenons and they were just nowhere near white.

absolutely, but might have to use them if i cant get LED's working

Don’t know about the Philips ones tbh, got the Halfords ones on my own car, they came free with the headlight bulbs, they’re not as blue/white as LEDs nor are they as bright. Depends on the look you’re going for I suppose.

Take the bulb out of the holder, turn 180 degrees.

Take the bulb out of the holder, turn 180 degrees.

Can give it a try sure and see....

I’d be very doubtful that would work but it’s worth a shot.

Where in the country are you OP?

• Advertisement

will try tomorrow evening and report back.

found x2 other different type of resistors i didnt even know i had so will try them also...

the 'pretend bulb holder' that goes to the vehicles harness can plug in one of two ways (because obviously filament bulbs don't care about polarity , take that plug out from the resistor and literally rotate it 180 degrees.

the 'pretend bulb holder' that goes to the vehicles harness can plug in one of two ways (because obviously filament bulbs don't care about polarity , take that plug out from the resistor and literally rotate it 180 degrees.

Follow you now, will try that also.....

Thanks to both you guys for the help... Problem sorted

I reversed the resistor harness in the lighting cable connector and then reversed the led bulb in the resistor harness connector and everything is working as it should now....

Top guys, appreciate the help....

Fair play Eric Cartman!

Advertisement