Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter from Sheriff

Options
  • 11-07-2018 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I received a letter from the Sheriff due to a tax debt owed to the Revenue Office this was following a letter I had received

I have 3 questions:

1. Will this have any bearing on any future debt I apply for. For example Credit card, Loan Mortgage
    2. Related to 1; will this affect my credit rating/ credit file
    3. As I was in hospital and could not respond to Revenue within their stipulated time due to being in hospital is there a way I can request that the debt be returned to Revenue office so I can deal with them directly

Please note I was distressed when I got the letter from the Sheriff today and called them to make payment arrangements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

MPK2018 wrote: »
    Hi,

I received a letter from the Sheriff due to a tax debt owed to the Revenue Office this was following a letter I had received

I have 3 questions:

1. Will this have any bearing on any future debt I apply for. For example Credit card, Loan Mortgage
    3. As I was in hospital and could not respond to Revenue within their stipulated time due to being in hospital is there a way I can request that the debt be returned to Revenue office so I can deal with them directly

Please note I was distressed when I got the letter from the Sheriff today and called them to make payment arrangements.

Did you call the Revenue Office after you came out of hospital. The Revenue letter will have a name and direct phone number at the bottom of the person who is dealing with it, call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

It won't affect other loans.

Sheriff is far easier to deal with than revenue and you should be able to pay over about 6 months without issue.

I don't think any additional fees are added if they agree to a phased payment

CeilingFly wrote: »
    It won't affect other loans.

Sheriff is far easier to deal with than revenue and you should be able to pay over about 6 months without issue.

I don't think any additional fees are added if they agree to a phased payment

Very much depends on the sheriff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hi,

1. Yes it will until it is completely paid off and you make arrangements to ensure that it doesn't happen again - was it based off an estimate or a return or an actual debt? you need to get your house in order.
    2. yes
    3. you can ask but why delay? Start making your payments and make your agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MPK2018

It was an actual return and I was under the impression it was not due until October as that was when the payment was due last year

Just to be clear I called the Sheriff and made payment arrangements today- so according to your response to my original post I now have a adverse mark on my credit file?

There is no delay I just want to remove (if there is one) the adverse mark on my credit file

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 MPK2018

tringle wrote: »
    Very much depends on the sheriff
    @ Tringle, which point(s) depend on the Sheriff please?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

1. Yes it will until it is completely paid off and you make arrangements to ensure that it doesn't happen again - was it based off an estimate or a return or an actual debt? you need to get your house in order. 2. yes 3. you can ask but why delay? Start making your payments and make your agreements.

1. No it won't. The banks have no access to info like this and it won't show up on an ICB check. The only problem you might run into while applying for credit cards or loans is if the bank asks for a tax clearance certificate. Most
    banks wont but some finance company's do. Once the dept is paid off you can apply for a tax clearance cert and the banks have no way of finding out that you were previously in dept to the revenue.

2. No it won't

3. If you want to make a payment plan do a deal with the sheriff but be realistic as to what you can afford because once you make the deal you need to stick to it . If you can pay it off in a lump sum you can try get it sent back to the revenue. No hope of getting it sent back if you are not paying it off in a lump sum

4. Don't panic about it.
    As long as you are proactive in dealing with the sheriff and stick to any deal you make they are not the big bad wolf's that people make them out to be.

@ Tringle, which point(s) depend on the Sheriff please?

That they are easier to deal with than Revenue...it depends on the sheriff you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

1. Yes it will until it is completely paid off and you make arrangements to ensure that it doesn't happen again - was it based off an estimate or a return or an actual debt? you need to get your house in order.
    2. yes

Why do people give such incorrect information out?

I can give 100% assurance that

1. It does not go on your credit file, and does not affect any future applications for credit in any way whatsoever.

2. It does not in any way affect your current credit rating.

The only way it could affect you is if you needed a tax clearance cert immediately as a condition of a loan (rare) as that would only be issued when the revenue debt is clear.

Advertisement