Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accents of Ireland

• 11-07-2018 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

What are the worst and best accents in Ireland?
    I can't stand D4 (the worst). Knacker Dublin is up there. Louth is a weird one, as is Wexford. I know some counties have loads of weird ones (Limerick has two, posh and knacker. Both aren't the best but they're not the worst as I'm used to them). I haven't heard every accent, I've lived a sheltered life.
    I like the soft northern ones and Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh has an epic voice. Cork isn't the worst.
    What ones do ye hate and love?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dundalk accent is an utter abomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Louth. Like nails on a chalkboard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Definitely Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The Belfast Accent is aural sandpaper

• Registered Users Posts: 19 YupLimerick

The Belfast Accent is aural sandpaper

Jesus what a description haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

I remember years ago chatting to a girl from Louth and thinking she had told me she was studying Russian in college. Turned out she was saying ‘nursing’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Jesus what a description haha

by that I mean its like having your eardrum scrubbed with sandpaper

by that I mean its like having your eardrum scrubbed with sandpaper

I get you. Gonna use this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

munster87 wrote: »
    I remember years ago chatting to a girl from Louth and thinking she had told me she was studying Russian in college. Turned out she was saying ‘nursing’.

Nurrsin

Isn't that like Steve Staunton? If so, then I feel sorry for Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A soft Northern accent, like Tyrone (where my mum harks from) or Fermanagh is very pleasant.

Hard urban accents like working class Dub, North Cork City, East or West Belfast or Limerick are unpleasant and too harsh.

Neutral educated accents - often hard to place and often a result of elocution - are quite easy on the ear. Galway and and Mayo are often soft and pleasant.

Louth is weird - lilt of Northern with rural north Leinster dominant.

Wicklow is often like a soft Dub accent ..."Wickla"

For such a tiny country Ireland has an amazing array of different accents. The commuter belt effect means Dublin accent is infiltrating Kildare, Meath and further afield.

Nouveau riche D4/Southside with its pseudo American inflections is risible and crass - all the "mom" crap. But an old school D4 accent is rather easy on the ear. There is a big distinction between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

T4, the Trinity accent people develop after a week.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    A soft Northern accent, like Tyrone (where my mum harks from) or Fermanagh is very pleasant.

Hard urban accents like working class Dub, North Cork City, East or West Belfast or Limerick are unpleasant and too harsh.

Neutral educated accents - often hard to place and often a result of elocution - are quite easy on the ear. Galway and and Mayo are often soft and pleasant.

For such a tiny country Ireland has an amazing array of different accents. The commuter belt effect means Dublin accent is infiltrating Kildare, Meath and further afield.

Nouveau riche D4/Southside with its pseudo American inflections is risible and crass - all the "mom" crap. But an old school D4 accent is rather easy on the ear. There is a big distinction between the two.
    Noone likes Limerick. I'm gonna get a great laugh reading about how Limerick is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Inner city Dublin < Pikey < Nordie dirtbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I find donegal accents very hard to understand. I’m used to all sort of nationalities speaking to me in English and yet donegal is the only one I can’t understand.

Draawwwda could be worse.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I always found it intersting that we have so many accents. Similar to England you can tell where someone is from almost from one sentence. In Australia for example it's one accent. Now country folk do have a stronger accent and different terms between different states but Perth is about 4000k from Sydney yet I can't tell the difference in someones accent between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always found it intersting that we have so many accents. Similar to England you can tell where someone is from almost from one sentence. In Australia for example it's one accent. Now country folk do have a stronger accent and different terms between different states but Perth is about 4000k from Sydney yet I can't tell the difference in someones accent between the two.

Aye, its the worst accent in the world

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Imagine a farmers’ meeting with a Derry farmer, one from Kerry, and an investor, originally from inner city Dublin. They’re trying to sell stuff to a Spanish group, whose interpreter is sitting there with his head in his hands, crying..,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Oink wrote: »
    Imagine a farmers’ meeting with a Derry farmer, one from Kerry, and an investor, originally from inner city Dublin. They’re trying to sell stuff to a Spanish group, whose interpreter is sitting there with his head in his hands, crying..,

I was just wondering about how foreigners hear our accents. I couldn't tell the difference between one Italian accent and another. Or French, German, Chinese etc. But I'm sure there must be as much variation as there is here. But I can discern one British or American accent from another, I presume because I can understand the language.When non English speakers listen to us speak, is it just one generic accent. Do I sound like a Corkman or a Belfast man to a German?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I was just wondering about how foreigners hear our accents. I couldn't tell the difference between one Italian accent and another. Or French, German, Chinese etc. But I'm sure there must be as much variation as there is here. But I can discern one British or American accent from another, I presume because I can understand the language.When non English speakers listen to us speak, is it just one generic accent. Do I sound like a Corkman or a Belfast man to a German?

I can't understand a word the people from Cork and Clare I work with are saying. They cannot understand each other. Therefore everyone has to repeat themselves the whole time.

The Aussies cannot understand any of us. Once I was told to speak English only at a poker table in Vegas lol (Dublin Accent).

I absolutely love all Irish* accents and the way they seemlessly and very naturally change as you travel across the island. If you've a half decent ear you'll notice differences between villages even 7km apart. Hugely entertaining and above all natural, real and historically coherent in their evolution. A huge window on our past and cultural differences (in some parts of Ireland you'll still see trad music style similarly gradiated).

*Like, basically, I obviously like exclude the like D4/mid-Atlantic/received pronunciation/RTÉ like travesties from any place within the above organic linguistic pattern. Shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I recently moved to Ringsend from Waterford, one of the most shocking things i still struggle to process is the difference between Ringsend and Sandymount accents are hilarious.... if i didnt have a Waterford accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

It's subtle but you can roughly pick out Australian accents. You can tell if someone is from WA or Queensland for example. Queensland accents are much broader and stereotypical (Bogan). WA accents are much softer. South Australian accents are a bit posher as well and have preserved more of the original English accents.

German accents are really easy to pick out. It wasn't a country until 1870 and there are notable differences between high and low German. A Bavarian/Austrian accent is very different to a Mecklenburg accent.

Bavarian German is really, really weird.

troyzer wrote: »
    It's subtle but you can roughly pick out Australian accents. You can tell if someone is from WA or Queensland for example. Queensland accents are much broader and stereotypical (Bogan). WA accents are much softer. South Australian accents are a bit posher as well and have preserved more of the original English accents.

I had the radio on in the car and the discussion was about an Australian comedian called Hannah Gadsby. Her accent was one of the worst I have ever heard. An very impressive person though.

I had the radio on in the car and the discussion was about an Australian comedian called Hannah Gadsby. Her accent was one of the worst I have ever heard. An very impressive person though.

Classic bogan accent. That's the main distinction in Australia. Maybe Queensland just has a higher concentration of bogans.

Classic bogan accent. That's the main distinction in Australia. Maybe Queensland just has a higher concentration of bogans.

Off to google bogan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Off to google bogan :D

Think 'chav' but with mullets.

• Advertisement

My husband is not Irish , at first he could hear no difference at all in the accents . It took him years to even distinguish between a northern and southern accent
    Slowely over years he could hear a Cork accent or a Donegal one . But the whole midland section between them he hears as one accent . Well apart from a very Dublin accent .
    He told me recently he had met a man who had a very obvious Cork accent . I met him a few weeks later and he was from South Wales !

I had a google. Bejaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I thought that was a 'hoon'.

Moate accent is the absolute pits.
    The best accents are from people that have lived in different parts of the country, they can have a nice pic n mix thing going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The best accents are from people that have lived in different parts of the country, they can have a nice pic n mix thing going on.

Hoon is their version of boy racer.

A hoon is a boy racer. Usually, but not always, also a bogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

German accents are really easy to pick out. It wasn't a country until 1870 and there are notable differences between high and low German. A Bavarian/Austrian accent is very different to a Mecklenburg accent.

Bavarian German is really, really weird.
    I remember on a different messageboard, an Irish person living Germany for years mentioned a few times that northern Germans looked down on Bavarians with their accent being one of the reasons (and their Catholicism). He himself equated the Bavarian accent being the German version on the Cork accent. :D
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    He told me recently he had met a man who had a very obvious Cork accent . I met him a few weeks later and he was from South Wales !
    I've heard a theory that the Welsh accent influenced the Cork accent centuries ago, when traders from Wales would sail along the south coast as they went about their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I've heard a theory that the Welsh accent influenced the Cork accent centuries ago, when traders from Wales would sail along the south coast as they went about their business.

Also through mining.

I remember on a different messageboard, an Irish person living Germany for years mentioned a few times that northern Germans looked down on Bavarians with their accent being one of the reasons (and their Catholicism). He himself equated the Bavarian accent being the German version on the Cork accent. :D

Saw a documentary on Newfoundland a while ago . I presumed the first few people who spoke were Irish . Then I realised they all spoke with a Killkenny / Waterford accent . ! They were pure Newfies born and bred as were the generations before them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Love the Derry accent, could listen to it all day.

Midlands or de Dubs would be towards the end of the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

South Donegal, parts for Fermanagh and Tyrone.

<drools>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Saw a documentary on Newfoundland a while ago . I presumed the first few people who spoke were Irish . Then I realised they all spoke with a Killkenny / Waterford accent . ! They were pure Newfies born and bred as were the generations before them
    You should look at the Canadian programme Republic Of Doyle set in St. John's, Newfoundland. Some of the characters have Irish-sounding accents (I would have said Wexford/Waterford), and Donegal actor Sean McGinley played one of the main characters..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You know the way someone from france or italy or where ever can sound sexy speaking english, I've often wondered if we sound sexy speaking any other languages. Do french girls hear a guy from cork speaking french and think it's funny or sexy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You should look at the Canadian programme Republic Of Doyle set in St. John's, Newfoundland. Some of the characters have Irish-sounding accents (I would have said Wexford/Waterford), and Donegal actor Sean McGinley played one of the main characters..

You should look at the film Alexandar with Colin Farrell. Some of the characters have strong Dublin accents

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

The Shannon Town accent is quite refined, a mixture of everything due to people from all over settling down there from the 70's onwards.

I'd say they have a mid atlantic without the American influence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

JupiterKid wrote: »

Neutral educated? Crap false accents is what I call them and there's zero education in it as they murder a lot of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Any Nordie accent. Just makes my ear drums hurt.
    Those Healy Rae Gombeen fellas, it's like acid being poured into my ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I suppose everyone on here think they have a neutral accent that can be understood the world over? Like a Dub I met one time with a thick Dub accent, he thought that because he was from Dublin that everyone understood him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Hoon is their version of boy racer.
    Did it always mean that? The term was used in the orignal Mad Max, I didn't know boy racers were a thing back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You should look at the film Alexandar with Colin Farrell. Some of the characters have strong Dublin accents

Yeh. It’s true. The actors were from Dublin though. So that explains that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement