Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men's suit for wedding

• 11-07-2018 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on what colour tie to match my suit.

Suit: I'm going with a simple but classy dark blue/navy pants and waistcoast (no jacket) and white shirt. Dark brown shoes and belt

About me: late 30s, stocky build and grey/white hair.

So, what colour tie would be best for this combination?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

TBH any tie that's not black will likely suit that.

Can I ask why you're not wearing a jacket though? It'll look much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

TBH any tie that's not black will likely suit that.

Can I ask why you're not wearing a jacket though? It'll look much better.

Thanks.

Reason is for cost, and it’s quite a casual wedding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Thanks.

Reason is for cost, and it’s quite a casual wedding

I think it would be better to skip a waistcoat and just wear jacket unless you are going for England football fan look.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think it would be better to skip a waistcoat and just wear jacket unless you are going for England football fan look.

Yeah, I got that already, any ideas on a colour of tie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

So, what colour tie would be best for this combination?

Gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

id say you cant go too wrong with a pink or yellow tie, something bright and cheerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Depends on your skin type. Olive skin goes well with pink, lilac, yellow and so on. Pink undertones work better in my opinion with light blue, grey, red.

I'm honestly a bit lost as to why you need help with this particular bit. Not trying to be a dick or anything but a navy suit with a white shirt literally goes with 99% of ties.

:confused:

I'm honestly a bit lost as to why you need help with this particular bit. Not trying to be a dick or anything but a navy suit with a white shirt literally goes with 99% of ties.

:confused:

Sorry I don’t live up to your fashion expectations. I think it’s obvious that I don’t have much of an idea on fashion when it comes to suits, thus this is why I posted on boards looking for help.

Sorry I didn’t mean to be rude, but people have already given you advice. Navy with white will go with pretty much everything. Without knowing your favorite colors or patterns, or your price range or your preferences it’s almost impossible to answer your question. Honestly you’d be better off looking on websites like marks and Spencer or Burton’s to see their example outfits and choose something that way. I could literally tell you 100 colored ties that will go with your outfit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

If you want to be traditional and super conservative then the tie should not stand out but blend into the suit.

So something dark like a navy tie but a muted red/wine colour could also be good.

But seeing as it's a wedding something colourful might be more exciting, you could try a striped navy/pink tie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'd echo the comments here, drop the waistcoat, and wear a two-piece suit. Can't go wrong with plain navy suit, white shirt and a burgundy tie.

Black shoes, rather than brown.

Make sure everything is tailored to fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'd echo the comments here, drop the waistcoat, and wear a two-piece suit. Can't go wrong with plain navy suit, white shirt and a burgundy tie.

Black shoes, rather than brown.

Make sure everything is tailored to fit.

I get the impression that maybe the OP doesn't want to look just like ten thousand other blokes at a wedding.
    May be trying for something fresh and different!
    OP, with such a plain colour palette, you can express the festive in the accessories. A pink, purple or gold tie, maybe with a bit of sparkle or a cute motif.
    You may also like to consider a piece of jewellery; tie-clip, nice watch, a ring, or a good buckled belt. Even a hat?
    And neat shiny shoes to finish the outfit.

PS Enjoy the wedding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Fresh and different often looks wrong and clueless.

If the suit, shirt, tie, and shoes are high quality and perfectly fitting, he WILL look different from everyone else.

Advertisement