Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai is now the most reliable car maker

• 12-07-2018 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hyundai #1

Linky

With sister company Kia taking #3

It really has been a remarkable development from the Koreans over the past few decades. Only 20 years ago they sold rubbish. And 10 years ago their cars were just cheap and cheerful white goods doing a better job than Toyota for less money. Today Hyundai don't seem to be stopping any time soon with their progress. Hyundai also have the highest profit margin per car sold of all mainstream manufacturers bar BMW

Disclosure: if anyone told me in 2016 that within a year I would buy a Hyundai, I would have laughed at them. Yet indeed I did buy a Hyundai in early 2017. Not for its reliability, but because Hyundai was the first company to offer a second generation very competent electric vehicle for similar money as a same size diesel or petrol car. From then on in, the money savings are incredible. Almost zero cost fuel, low tax, low insurance, low depreciation, almost zero maintenance. That's without mentioning that a car with zero emissions around people saves lives (and some say the climate)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Don't think I'm gonna buy anything other than a Hyundai after my i30. Maybe next year I'll upgrade to the Kona EV. Value for money: great. Quality: great. Reliability: great. Obviously not all cars are gonna be 100% perfect, there's always a runt of the litter. But in general I've heard very little in the way of negative feedback for modern Hyundais.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

They obviously don't measure clutch changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Faulty clutch = faulty driver ;)

Don't blame your tools for your incompetence...

In my 32 years of driving (much of it old bangers), I've never had to change a clutch

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Unkel--15 years ago I was slagged something terrible here on this on this forum for saying Hyundai were one of the most reliable cars on the road and would possibly be one of the biggest selling cars in Ireland in the future--that was when Id worked in a dealer for over 5 years. Your post doesn't surprise me. They've always been as reliable as Toyota but because they are now "mainstream" and more people own them people are waking up to their reliability.

12 years ago they were 6th overall for reliability.

Their old models like the accent,santa fe(1st generation) ,coupe (all models) ,lantra,elantra and Sonata were some of the most reliable cars Ive ever worked with but users here always slated Hyundai as basically **** heaps--I think yourelsf called the Sonata the "beige trousers" of the car world :D:D:D

Edit it wasn't yourself it was R.O.R

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62646916&postcount=41

However in saying that there are certain current models that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. Up till November I was still working for a Hyundai dealer and processing all the warranty claims so I saw first hand these issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

unkel wrote: »

In my 32 years of driving (much of it old bangers), I've never had to change a clutch

I don't drive a Hyundai nor have I ever burnt out a clutch. Hyundai clutches are the highest proportionate seller in motor factors at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't agree. There have been clutch issues with hyundai unrelated to driver technique.

The good news is that electric cars don't have clutches. They are a thing of the past. Even the likes of Ferrari hasn't made any car with a clutch or a manual gearbox for several years now and they will never do so again

I'm looking forward to teaching my oldest child (14) to drive in the next few years. In an automatic, electric car :cool: Charged up mostly with the wind and the sun

You should all get with the program too, lads. This is the future.

(I still have a manual sports car though for occasional use, I am making no excuses for that :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I know a few members of AGS. They want their Fords back, they think Hyundais can't hack it at all.

I'm not saying they're a bad car (as everyday sensible cars go) but they're certainly not the most reliable car no matter what any survey says.

They certainly do have a reputation for soft clutches as well. However, now that I've read the summary of the survey, it's no wonder the survey claims they're so reliable - it measures cars between 12 and 36 months old so you'd be very unlikely to have a clutch go that soon even on a bad design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

A clutch enabled Hyundai would be your first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I bought my Hyundai in Q1 of this year, an Ioniq EV like Unkel. I always laughed at hyundais but I couldnt be happier with my Ioniq.

Bought from a main Hyundai dealer and I couldnt have been happier with the experience (they even stayed open later to let me collect after work).

My last 3 daily drivers (over around a 6-9 month period) before the Ioniq were a V6 Jaguar, a 1.9TD Peugeot 406 and a 2.2 Xtrail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The good news is that electric cars don't have clutches. They are a thing of the past. Even the likes of Ferrari hasn't made any car with a clutch or a manual gearbox for several years now and they will never do so again

I'm looking forward to teaching my oldest child (14) to drive in the next few years. In an automatic, electric car :cool: Charged up mostly with the wind and the sun

You should all get with the program too, lads. This is the future.

(I still have a manual sports car though for occasional use, I am making no excuses for that :D)

clutches are not an unreliable tech. Some hyundai clutches are - due to poor design.
    Your rant re nobody fitting a clutch anymore is a bit fanboyish...... hyundai can't produce a good clutch..... ah who needs clutches.
    I also think it would be a disservice to teach someone to drive an eV only given the tiny market penetration currently.
    Also how are you charging your car, have you your own solar and wind generators?

Do EV car purchase contracts come with a requirement to proclaim the eV as the best thing ever at all times.
    Madlad Had a similar posting style while driving a leaf.... It was the best car ever, the only car anyone would ever need, regularly suggesting a leaf to everyone who started a what car thread, whether they were looking for a super car or a run around. Range was never an issue etc. When he sold the leaf, it was then clear that it wasn't the best thing ever. Loyalty then changes to his latest eV where now an eV with back up petrol power is the answer.
    Seriously, I'm wondering if you all get paid to promote these while you own them.

mickdw wrote: »
    clutches are not an unreliable tech. Some hyundai clutches are - due to poor design.
    Your rant re nobody fitting a clutch anymore is a bit fanboyish...... hyundai can't produce a good clutch..... ah who needs clutches.
    I also think it would be a disservice to teach someone to drive an eV only given the tiny market penetration currently.
    Also how are you charging your car, have you your own solar and wind generators?

Do EV car purchase contracts come with a requirement to proclaim the eV as the best thing ever at all times.
    Madlad Had a similar posting style while driving a leaf.... It was the best car ever, the only car anyone would ever need, regularly suggesting a leaf to everyone who started a what car thread, whether they were looking for a super car or a run around. Range was never an issue etc. When he sold the leaf, it was then clear that it wasn't the best thing ever. Loyalty then changes to his latest eV where now an eV with back up petrol power is the answer.
    Seriously, I'm wondering if you all get paid to promote these while you own them.
    We're on commission.

I'm wondering if you all get paid to promote these while you own them.

It's a physiological psychological called Choice-supportive bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Unkel--15 years ago I was slagged something terrible here on this on this forum for saying Hyundai were one of the most reliable cars on the road and would possibly be one of the biggest selling cars in Ireland in the future--that was when Id worked in a dealer for over 5 years. Your post doesn't surprise me. They've always been as reliable as Toyota but because they are now "mainstream" and more people own them people are waking up to their reliability.

12 years ago they were 6th overall for reliability.

Their old models like the accent,santa fe(1st generation) ,coupe (all models) ,lantra,elantra and Sonata were some of the most reliable cars Ive ever worked with but users here always slated Hyundai as basically **** heaps--I think yourelsf called the Sonata the "beige trousers" of the car world :D:D:D

Edit it wasn't yourself it was R.O.R

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62646916&postcount=41

However in saying that there are certain current models that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. Up till November I was still working for a Hyundai dealer and processing all the warranty claims so I saw first hand these issues.

Beige slacks!

They have come a long way from the dishwater dullness of yesteryear and are producing some very good machines now.

I'd be more familiar with the Kia side of things and have driven most of their current offerings and I'm very impressed with them all. Interior switch gear and layout is still not on par with European offerings, but it's not too far behind and I'd say will be almost on par come their next generation of cars.

Hopefully someone will drop a Stinger or i30N out for me to test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Good cars. Pity about their grating radio add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've liked the Hyundai for a while now. The i30 is on my radar when I upgrade my car. Seem to be good value too, if you buy in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Hellrazer wrote: »

Which models? Is the i30 decent?

I found myself in a Kia of late, I'm very impressed. Well up there compared to Ford, Opel etc ..... not quite at some VAG levels on interior niceness but as a package very, very decent for what they are.

A fecked clutch is a serious downer though, not the end of the world over the course of 5/6 years of ownership if it's the only "major" thing to go that they won't cover under warranty of course.

EVs of course aren't for everyone. 2018 Nissan Leaf is 150 ish mile EPA range rating iirc ....... for anyone doing intercity trips regularly (Cork to Dublin, Dublin to Galway, Belfast to Dublin, Cork to Galway etc etc etc) there are still a total non runner.

And for folks doing small miles a 35mpg car will do 10,000 miles for €2k at €1.50/l. Loads of folk do less than that mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Hyundai #1

Linky

With sister company Kia taking #3

It really has been a remarkable development from the Koreans over the past few decades. Only 20 years ago they sold rubbish. And 10 years ago their cars were just cheap and cheerful white goods doing a better job than Toyota for less money. Today Hyundai don't seem to be stopping any time soon with their progress. Hyundai also have the highest profit margin per car sold of all mainstream manufacturers bar BMW

Disclosure: if anyone told me in 2016 that within a year I would buy a Hyundai, I would have laughed at them. Yet indeed I did buy a Hyundai in early 2017. Not for its reliability, but because Hyundai was the first company to offer a second generation very competent electric vehicle for similar money as a same size diesel or petrol car. From then on in, the money savings are incredible. Almost zero cost fuel, low tax, low insurance, low depreciation, almost zero maintenance. That's without mentioning that a car with zero emissions around people saves lives (and some say the climate)

Low Depreciation? Really?

Very fond of our 2016 i10. It feels like a much bigger car to drive and I'm a fan of the interior and even the little 3 cylinder 1l engine which is gutsier than some reviews would have you believe. Not a fan of some of the corners cut on the base spec, like no keyless entry.

I was reminded of how bad city cars can be when I rented a panda abroad a few months ago. Horrible, uncomfortable, unsafe at speed, nasty cheap interior.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    ^ EV's have a better depreciation.
    +1
    Unkel could sell his car now, after over 1 year of usage, for a profit compared to what he paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

ELM327 wrote: »
    +1
    Unkel could sell his car now, after over 1 year of usage, for a profit compared to what he paid for it.

That's a supply issue so skewing any figures. If new models with better battery were coming out depreciation would be on a bar or worse than any other car depending on the rate of advancements

There are supply constraints on all EVs due to lower battery production.
    Supply exceeds demand for all, so much so that some dealers in the US particularly for the Ioniq are charging $2k markup on RRP.

There haven't been any "better" EVs out, and most are targeting 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Another stupid JD Power survey:

In-vehicle technology slightly more problematic: Technology problems continue to be common for owners after 1-3 years. Bluetooth phone/device frequent pairing/connectivity issues and voice recognition not recognizing commands are both among the six most common problems in the UK VDS.

So if your Hyundai doesn't have voice command it beats my Skoda which does. Even though I don't use it. Stupid.

So if your Hyundai doesn't have voice command it beats my Skoda which does. Even though I don't use it. Stupid.

Each of those surveys need to be read with understanding.

This JD Power is not really a study of reliability. It really is a study of how picky owners of particular brands are ;) If you pay €100k for a Jag you definitely expect a better experience than when paying €20k for a Kia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They are making good looking cars now they have come a long way

Another stupid JD Power survey:

In-vehicle technology slightly more problematic: Technology problems continue to be common for owners after 1-3 years. Bluetooth phone/device frequent pairing/connectivity issues and voice recognition not recognizing commands are both among the six most common problems in the UK VDS.

Mine has both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

A thread about Hyundai reliability and immediately turns into how fabulous evs are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The Magentis of the same vintage as my Avensis (both 2006) may not drive as sharp (the steering is fairly vague and is not the best to hold the road in the corners compared to the Avensis; this may be due to worn bushes and the hideous tyres) nor may have the same ease of access of parts but is a lot more car for the money.

It was exactly 4 times less the price of my already cheap (but horrendously smelly at time of purchase) Avensis (well below it's scrap value at the time in February this year, should give an indicator as to what was paid for both cars) with only a fraction of the work needed to have it NCT ready (go over brakes, turn warning lamp off, change tyres) and a lot more go as standard... With the possibility of remapping! But I'm leaving it as standard, just nice to know I have that option if needed (although give me a VE pump and a 13mm spanner and a flat blade any day for an agri reekmap...)

A bland, soulless saloon will do for work; peanuts to buy, peanuts to run correctly without cutting corners. It means in the evenings/weekends I can jump into the Z/E34 and appreciate those cars more :cool:

Tell that to me when I was driving the C220 and I'd have rolled round laughing :o

• Advertisement

Philb76 wrote: »
    A thread about Hyundai reliability and immediately turns into how fabulous evs are

It difficult to drive anything else once you have tasted it if one suits the type of journeys you normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Hyundai? A vehicle for those who do not like driving

jim salter wrote: »

Like the OP who hates driving his old Porsche 928 and the current Boxter. Horses for courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Most car brands go through these phases. I mean have you ever seen early Audis, they were far from the present day iconic luxury performance brand.

I think Hyundai is following a path well trodden by Toyota and other Japanese brands. They were not considered to be too wonderful, particularly in terms of design, not all that long ago.

Hyundai has the ability to mass-produce great cars. They've been on an upwards trend for well over a decade at this stage. I don't see why anyone is surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I rented a fully kitted out Santa Fe in Canada earlier in the year and was quite impressed, it was very comfortable and just a nice car in general to be in. My only gripes would have been the foot operated parking brake (I'm guessing this is just a north American thing?), and the auto gearbox lagged well behind any of the VW ones I've experienced. I drive a golf GTI here and will definitely be taking a look at the i30N when the time comes to trade up.

Philb76 wrote: »
    Did you hear how brilliant my EV is.
    jim salter wrote: »
    I love driving and have owned a myriad of cars ranging from a kent engined fiesta to >7 litre pickups and sedans, to a Z32 Fairlady Z. I have a JDM toyota corona in storage at the moment.

Doesnt change how easy it is to take the mundane commute driving (60-70km each way) and do it in a car that practically drives itself and the fuel is free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

About 8-10 years ago I had my Passat with an auto electric specialist locally, really good lad, does good work.

I asked him about reliability issues with cars and he said when people realised just how good Korean cars were getting he’d be out of business.

I drove an i40 on a 250km journey once, 14 month old car. I would never doubt their reliability but my god it was a horrible car to drive, light, floaty, vague steering, no driver feel at all.
    That was maybe 3 years ago, maybe they sorted these issues since but I was terribly disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

The wife's getz is still going strong 12years old now when we bought it was half the price of likes of polo fiesta bar consumables hasn't needed much does a job and is cheap to run so the reliability always been there but now they are stylish and the spec as standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The improvement in looks is amazing. They used to look like odd little things, now I see one and I think I'd love one. Massive change in them over the years.

Your rant re nobody fitting a clutch anymore is a bit fanboyish......

Nah. I've been ranting about the virtues of autos for many years. You've been around this forum for a long time, you know very well that I have. And I love driving manual cars, but at my leisure, not as a daily (family / commuting) car. To add to that, the Hyundai Ioniq can "self drive" on motorways (keeping in lane and active cruise control). This is a standard feature. Not an optional extra. I paid €25k for this car on the road.

I do have solar PV (electricity) and solar tubes (for heating my hot water), but my car is mostly charged at home at night rate electricity which is both very cheap to produce (and buy - a full charge giving me 200-250km range costs about €1.80) and as clean as grid electricity gets in this country (up to 75% from wind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

_Brian wrote: »
    I drove an i40 on a 250km journey once, 14 month old car. I would never doubt their reliability but my god it was a horrible car to drive, light, floaty, vague steering, no driver feel at all.

They are aiming to take sales from Toyota - dealer near you, reliable, painless to drive, better looking exterior, wouldn't be hard to do a better interior.

They are not trying to build Ultimate Driving Machines.

• Advertisement

Nah. I've been ranting about Korean sh1tboxes for years.....

FYP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

ra. I paid €25k for this car on the road

Are the Ioniq as bad suspension wise as they say? They say that the battery is too heavy and they don't corner as well as say a Prius. Then again are they an Auris size or Prius size?
    Definitely a car in my radar. They seem good value

I

It's a comfortable car as the suspension is soft and the car is heavy because of the weight of the battery. Which makes for a very low centre of gravity. But it's an economy price family size car from the far east and it has front wheel drive, so no, it sure is no drivers car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

Why is Lexus not on that JD Power study ? They are still #1 on the US JD Power http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/jd-power-2018-us-vehicle-dependability-study

It's a comfortable car as the suspension is soft and the car is heavy because of the weight of the battery. Which makes for a very low centre of gravity. But it's an economy price family size car from the far east and it has front wheel drive, so no, it sure is no drivers car.

Thanks. Tbh I'm not into drivers cars anymore.
    Is yours the plug in? How does it compare to the Toyota line up?

Mine is a full EV. So plug in only (no engine only an electric motor)

Toyota still doesn't make any EVs - it might very well be the beginning of the end of the company if they hesitate much longer

Toyota still doesn't make any EVs - it might very well be the beginning of the end of the company if they hesitate much longer

Sorry i thought yours was a plug in hybrid. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

3 people i know with I40s have all had clutch problems.

none of them i would construe as being a poor driver.

The definitely have a problem with Clutches, without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm sure if Mr Musk can make EVs Toyota can whenever it tickles their fancy :)

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm sure if Mr Musk can make EVs Toyota can whenever it tickles their fancy :)
    They even worked together on the 2012-2014 Rav 4 EV!

• Advertisement
Advertisement