Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2018 stage 6: Brest > Mûr de Bretagne 181 km

Options
  • 12-07-2018 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

Stage 6 of the Tour takes us from Brest to the Mûr de Bretagne.

Map:

30e91

The start goes in Brest, a city and harbour, which shares some similarities with Lorient in terms of maritime tradition and culture. Brest has been visited by aircraft carriers and the like, because of its harbour, that is able to get visits from Captain Jack Sparrow's dinghy and the USS Nimitz as well. Below the harbour vividly painted by Louis-Nicolas Van Blarenberghe in the 18th century:

x1zjad.png

https://www.pictorem.com/41063/Brest%20harbour,%20with%20a%20ship%20having%20her%20rigging%20installed.html

Speaking of the harbours, Brest's maritime culture is exemplified by the Brest International Maritime Festival...

122m2hd.jpg

...which takes place every four years (latest edition 2016, next 2020), where over 1000 naval vessels, such as tall boats, historical replicas, working boats, exotic boats and yachts, is exhibited, and admired by the hundred of thousands visitors.
    If you are drawn to this place and find yourself in need of something to eat, avoid the McDonalds and try the local cuisine; it might be your only visit to Bretagne ;)

10qkjde.png

This crêpe bretonne is said to originate from a clumsy wife, who spilt buckwheat porridge onto a flat, hot stone. This crêpe with buckwheat, max. 30% wheat flour, water and salt is the "salty" variant, but sweet crêpe made of flour, eggs, sugar and milk is also available.

The riders probably won't get to enjoy this, because one delicious crêpe can quickly turn into many! Instead they must focus on the stage profile, which looks like this:

ff17d

..and zoomed in the last 20 kilometers, where the Mûr is climbed twice:

Mûr de Bretagne itself:

etape_8_mur_de_bretagne.png

In 2011, stage 4 of that Tour, Alberto Contador, coming fresh (or so it seemed) from the Giro, thought he was the first to win on top of Mûr de Bretagne...
    tdf11st4_contador_evans1.jpg
    .. but Cadel Evans actually won after a photo finish, edging out the Spaniard, but couldn't distance Thor Hushovd with the single second he needed to take the yellow jersey from him. In the end, what matters is who is in yellow in Paris, and Evans' perseverance in the mountains and his time trialling skills secured him the top spot on the podium in Paris as the first Australian Tour winner.

When the Tour returned to Mûr de Bretagne four years later, Alexis Vuillermoz took his first Tour de France stage victory with a late attack in front of Dan Martin and the peloton lead by Valverde, since he wasn't a threat for Chris Froome's yellow jersey anyway.

mur-de-bretagne-france-7.jpg

How will Mûr de Bretagne be ridden today? Will we see the top guns battle for the stage win, like 2011, or act more hesitating, allowing an oppurtunistic punchy rider to go for glory?

General classification before tomorrow:

1. Greg Van AVERMAET (BMC)
    2. Tejay van GARDEREN (BMC) + 2''
    3. Philippe GILBERT (Quickstep) + 3''
    4. Geraint THOMAS (SKY) + 5''
    5. Julian ALAPHILIPPE (Quickstep) + 6''
    6. Bob JUNGELS (Quickstep) + 9''
    7. Tom DUMOULIN (Sunweb) + 13''
    8. Søren KRAGH ANDERSEN (Sunweb) st. *
    9. Rigoberto URAN (EF-ED) + 37''
    10. Rafal MAJKA (Bora) + 52''
    * Youth classification leader

Polka-dot jersey competition before tomorrow:

1. Toms SKUIJNS (Trek) 4
    2. Sylvain CHAVANEL (Direct Energie) 4
    3. Lilian CALMEJANE (Cofidis) 3

Points jersey competition before tomorrow:

1. Peter SAGAN (Bora) 180
    2. Fernando GAVIRIA (Quickstep) 147
    3. Alexander KRISTOFF (UAE) 78
    4. André GREIPEL (Lotto-Soudal) 69
    5. Sonny COLBRELLI (Bahrain) 52

Weather forecast at the Mûr de Bretagne

zxsgt2.png

The Bookies take on today

Allaphiippe 3/1
    Juraj Sagan 4/1
    Valverde 9/2
    Dan Martin 12/1
    Simon Yates 12/1
    Phil Gil 14/1
    Sonny Colbrelli 16/1
    GVA 25/1

Borrowed from here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

You'd have to think that QS will try hard to nick the jersey from GVA, but he should be there or thereabouts on this sort of finish. Surely Sky will also try to get Thomas in to the jersey, but they are very unlikely to succeed in getting back the time needed to do so - unless they manage to do so via intermediate sprint bonuses...?

Not long/hard enough for Dan, I think, but the list of likely winners is a long one: take a pick from GVA, Gilbert, Valverde, Alaphillipe, Martin, Sagan, ANOther etc.

Alaf FTW......

There are no bonus seconds on the finish line, are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

There are no bonus seconds on the finish line, are there?

10, 6 and 4 seconds for all stages in the race except the TTs

There are also bonuses of 3,2 and 1 seconds about 3km after the first passage of the Mur at the top of a kick to Saint Mayeux (just to keep the lads on the boil). If a small group gets and stays away on the first ascent, someone could theoretically pick up 13 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Anybody but Valverde today. If Martin doesn't win I'd like to see Uran win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Anybody but Valverde today. If Martin doesn't win I'd like to see Uran win it.

I agree ...any but Vakverde and SKY for me

But think Dan Martin coudl do it

Gosh what an opening thread post by Inquitis ..even the food section ..brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hoping it's Dan but probably Valverde.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That's a great OP!

Here is the top-10 from that stage in 2015:

455591.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A tweet showing it's windy at the finish.

There's an Irish flag but the gom has a Celtic crest on it - i.e a British football team - hate that.

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1017389740482617344

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Can you have an echelon going up a hill??

It would be nice to see Gaudin do well today - he was incredible in Tro Bro Leon this year. An object lesson in never giving up!

• Advertisement

When I last rode up the Mur (in 2015 I think), I seem to recall a large cut-out billboard on the road near the finish with a big picture of a smiling Bernard Hinault holding a stuffed badger (which he may have probably just punched to death minutes earlier).
    Mind you, I was in severe oxygen debt so it could have just been a hallucination.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Like a Rás line-out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Echelons!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Dan-watch?

Oh a split, turn my back for 5 minutes and it kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Just turned it on with the sound down, anyone caught in the split?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dan in 2nd group according to letour website

Valverde and Quintana I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Dan-watch?

UAE not chasing so assuming he made the split

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

The breakaway group has covered 40.6km in the second hour. Average speed so far: 41.7km/h. The second group including Fuglsang, Quintana, Nibali, Dan Martin and Zakarin has made it across to the first peloton.

So looks like hes back in front group

• Advertisement

Dan in front group but nearly all Lotto NL Jumbo seem to be in chasing group inc Roglic

QS making the race hard benefits Dan Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Was the 'Mur' a category two climb ? in previous years.

Was the 'Mur' a category two climb ? in previous years.

It was Cat. 3 in 2015. Not sure about 2011

EDIT: It was Cat. 3 in 2011 also

It was Cat. 3 in 2015. Not sure about 2011

Cat 3 in 2006 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Nerves for Dan. Fuglesang had a bike change I think. Struggling to get back.

Puncture for Demoulin

Where is the rest of Sunweb?

• Advertisement

Bardet also had a bike problem

Advertisement