Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this plant?

Options
  • 12-07-2018 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Have planted so many plants over the past ten years as novice gardener and so many have died. When cut back honeysuckle this summer, I noticed this climber which was hidden Could it be a clematis or just a weed??
    It's quite woody at the base as second photo shows so doubt it's a weed
    No sign of flowers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its a clematis alright but might also be a weed as I suspect its Old Mans Beard Clematis vitalba which is the wild clematis. Interesting seed heads but very little in the way of flower.

Are you on a particularly alkaline, possibly chalk soil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

my3cents wrote:
    Its a clematis alright but might also be a weed as I suspect its Old Mans Beard Clematis vitalba which is the wild clematis. Interesting seed heads but very little in the way of flower.

my3cents wrote:
    Are you on a particularly alkaline, possibly chalk soil?

No ,if anything the soil in my area is a bit acidic. I think you may be right. Was hoping it was a clematis I'd planted over the years come to life but more likely it's old.mans beard. Clematis stems are usually a very thin brown wood ?
    There are no signs of flowers as yet . Ill keep an eye out for the Tufts and cut back if it's the weed. The honeysuckle I planted is taking over enough as it is-hmm maybe I should let them battle it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I was asking about the soil because in some places where the soil is ideal as in alkaline Old Mans Beard can be a bit of a weed but normally only in uncultivated areas.

Advertisement