Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gtx 970 - 1070 worth it?

Options
  • 12-07-2018 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Would it be worth it for the additional 50% power and VRAM of the 1070?

Could probably still sell my 970 for ~180/200 and put another ~150 into a second hand 1070.

Would it be worth it? Should I wait for next gen etc? 970 is still doing fine I guess but I'd like to have soemthing a tad more future proof.

Pity the Vega cards are so expensive as I've a decent 144hz 1080p freesync monitor. Would consider a straight swap for an 8gb 580 but that wouldn't be an upgrade as such...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I've an R9 390 and am going to wait to see what the Red and Green teams bring out next before deciding what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

A R9 Fury X is a good card if you can pick one up cheap but the 4GB of VRAM is the let down but that shouldn't be much of a problem at 1080p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Going to an RX580 not so much, but a GTX1070 is a massive upgrade on a GTX970.

You can get a new GTX1070 at this stage for £329, people barely even sell them 2nd hand for less than that so I wouldn't bother.

But at this point, wouldn't hurt to wait either as the 970 is still very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Upgrade if you've a monitor that does more than 60Hz; otherwise the 970 does perfectly fine at 1080p or even 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Main reason to buy now is the 970 still holds a bit of value in this market. I suppose of 770's are still selling then my 970 will sell next year/later in the year when the new cards are out.

I might even nab a 1080 at that time on the cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I did this very upgrade, and it was great. Something like a 50% bump in performance, if memory servers.
    But this was well over a year ago, when the upgrade made more sense. Now, I'd probably just wait the month for the 11 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Serephucus wrote: »
    I did this very upgrade, and it was great. Something like a 50% bump in performance, if memory servers.
    But this was well over a year ago, when the upgrade made more sense. Now, I'd probably just wait the month for the 11 series.

Month?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

jebidiah wrote: »
    Month?

Yep. Current rumours are back to pointing to next month. Weird given their CEO said "not soon" but we'll see.

Advertisement