Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iceland Has Hunted and Killed a Blue Whale

• 12-07-2018 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭

Icealand_Blue_Whale.jpg

Feckers!
    It is the 22nd endangered whale killed and butchered for export to Japan by commercial whaling company Hvalur hf at its station in Hvalfjordur since June 20 this year, Sea Shepherd reports.

The first 21 whales killed were endangered fin whales, which the Icelandic government has permitted the company, owned by Icelandic fishing magnate Kristjan Loftsson, to slaughter despite an international moratorium on whaling, Sea Shepherd said.

However, the company does not have any legal authority to kill endangered blue whales, even within Iceland, Sea Shepherd said.
    https://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/horror-greets-iceland-s-killing-of-suspected-blue-whale-20180712-p4zr3n.html

On the whole, humanity is on track to wipe out almost all life in the oceans, I think. There has been a massive increase in shark attacks on humans in Australia and elsewhere in recent years. A Great White was spotted near Majorca a few weeks ago, the first sighting for 40 years. I suspect pelagic fish stocks have been so decimated by fishing that the sharks have been forced to look for food closer to shores.

With over 7 billion humans now, I think harvesting protein from the wild should probably be banned globally for commercial purposes. You want to eat it - farm it.

I am disgusted by Iceland and Japan for this atrocity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

cnocbui wrote: »
    On the whole, humanity is on track to wipe out almost all life in the oceans, I think.

Sure aren't we raising the sea levels, that should give the fish more room to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

With over 7 billion humans now, I think harvesting protein from the wild should probably be banned globally for commercial purposes. You want to eat it - farm it.

I am disgusted by Iceland and Japan for this atrocity

Absolutely agree that the rapid decimation of life in the oceans is a disgusting travesty but the farming of any animal has it's own massive sustainability issues. If we're talking real solutions then going vegan is a much bigger step towards a sustainable solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Eathrin wrote: »
    going vegan is a much bigger step towards a sustainable solution.

GMO soy and corn for everyone !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

zom wrote: »
    GMO soy and corn for everyone !!

Soylent green.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

How many people would one whale feed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

That photo is both upsetting and disturbing.
    I cannot fathom how the three guys in that photo can just get on with their days work and not consider the enormity of what they or their colleagues have done in killing that incredible animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How many people would one whale feed?
    How sustainable is it to eat a whale ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Is that the whale or a submarine?

Not helping i know, il just leave

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

From your link
    If it is a blue whale, it will be the first time a member of that species has been harpooned in half a century.

DNA tests showed it was a hybrid so they didn't break their own rules. Still sucks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-07-20/dna-shows-blue-whale-hybrid-iceland-institute-says/10017276
    "the whale in question that was caught on July 7th was a hybrid of a fin whale father and a blue whale mother".

Advertisement