Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord garden issues

Options
  • 12-07-2018 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

HI Guys,

I have a query that's bugging me. I'm currently renting an accommodation house for the past year through a letting agency. The house is based on the corner on a main road but we had a lovely hedge and large tree covering us and we were very happy about that despite the noise which we expected.

Come last year I got a call from the letting agency telling us the landlord wants to do some gardening to the place and I said "ok perfect". We had cut the grass from time to time but I figured they were going to do some weeding and what not.

However 3 days of work later and I came home and our entire side hedge has been cut and uprooted. Now we are completed exposed in a corner with a very low wall.

Our lovely tree in the garden is planned to be cut down and I really want it to be stopped. I didn't think they would be doing full scale landscaping and we weren't forewarned about that.
    See I'm not being dramatic, but with the hedge gone it completely changes the look of the house. We're visible for miles down the road and it's a very low wall not unlike your normal front gate wall going around the whole house.

I objected to our letting agency who is claiming to not be responsible for it but surely they should have communicated this to us a little better here?

Is there anything I can do about this? Our letting agency isn't doing anything because the landlord ordered the job and we have no contact details for them.

Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

But it isn't your tree nor your hedge, owners can do maintenance to overgrown hedges and trees to tidy them up or in the case of a tree, to reduce the risk of it toppling over in a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

davo10 wrote: »
    But it isn't your tree nor your hedge, owners can do maintenance to overgrown hedges and trees to tidy them up or in the case of a tree, to reduce the risk of it toppling over in a storm.

While thats true would it not be the same in principal as the landlord entering the house without notice and changing something. I'm not sure but do the same rules apply to the garden? Like the landlord has to give x amount of days notice?

As for what OP can do about it? Not sure you can do anything. What did you have in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Seems in the op that "ok perfect" was the response to being told this was on the agenda. Isn't notice required for "peaceful enjoyment " by the tenant? Apart from the change in aesthetics of the garden, not sure the op can claim he/she was inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Any reason why he is doing it? It’s hardly because he is bored

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

paulieeye wrote: »
    While thats true would it not be the same in principal as the landlord entering the house without notice and changing something.

I don't imagine so because:
    Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    ..the landlord wants to do some gardening to the place and I said "ok perfect".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

davo10 wrote: »
    Seems in the op that "ok perfect" was the response to being told this was on the agenda.

oh ya, skimmed over that bit. looks like u gave the ok op

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    Come last year I got a call from the letting agency telling us the landlord wants to do some gardening to the place and I said "ok perfect". We had cut the grass from time to time but I figured they were going to do some weeding and what not.
    I suppose next time clarify what they intend on doing. Consider asking the agency to install a wooden fence, or look for a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Looks like it's sorted anyway now guys. Landlord eventually got in contact and said they're replacing the hedge with a semi mature one. So It probably won't be the same but at least they got in contact.

It was the lack of communication here that bothered me. All good now it seems :)

Thanks for your comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

the_syco wrote: »
    I suppose next time clarify what they intend on doing. Consider asking the agency to install a wooden fence, or look for a new place.

Ya this is a good lesson. I'm new enough to renting through an agency so I'm just a little confused with the process when you're not dealing with the landlord 1:1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Drama Queen 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

The landlord is entitled to do necessary maintenance to a property. They were given notice to do the work and were given the go ahead. I understand from a privacy aspect, people can now look into the property however it would still be deemed ok. As you have already clarified, it is always good to come to a amicable conclusion. I’m still a little surprised he put in another bush. Personally I would have increased the wall height to lower future maintenance but each to their own I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Drama Queen 😂

He is not a drama queen. People like their privacy especially if they are living in a house and he came back in shock to what he saw. He was only trying to asses what is options are and at least it has all been clarified.

Advertisement