Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College House Viewing

Options
  • 12-07-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Thoughts on others going to viewings with their parents?

Do you think it is better to go without Parents? maybe go with an other person you would be renting with?

Was at one recently and everyone one else seemed to be bringing a parent with them, of the 11 groups that viewed 10 groups of girls we myself and my friend were the only boys and were the only ones without a parent. We have been renting in different areas for two years but are looking to move closer.

Do you think you should bring a parent or better go it alone, we personally thought it seemed more mature and the fact we were renting two years previously and had good references.

One set of parents even left the viewing after being the first ones to view and have a chat, but then came back later to get a last word in without any of the prospective tenants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Chacha97 wrote: »
    Thoughts on others going to viewings with their parents?

Do you think it is better to go without Parents? maybe go with an other person you would be renting with?

Was at one recently and everyone one else seemed to be bringing a parent with them, of the 11 groups that viewed 10 groups of girls we myself and my friend were the only boys and were the only ones without a parent. We have been renting in different areas for two years but are looking to move closer.

Do you think you should bring a parent or better go it alone, we personally thought it seemed more mature and the fact we were renting two years previously and had good references.

One set of parents even left the viewing after being the first ones to view and have a chat, but then came back later to get a last word in without any of the prospective tenants

Personally i would go on my own. You're not kids anymore. But no idea what a landlord would think. If I was renting out a place, seeing someone bring their daddy along wouldn't be too reassuring that they would be mature enough to take care of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

paulieeye wrote: »
    Personally i would go on my own. You're not kids anymore. But no idea what a landlord would think. If I was renting out a place, seeing someone bring their daddy along wouldn't be too reassuring that they would be mature enough to take care of the place.

Yeah that was the opinion we had. We felt at the end of the day we are going to be the ones living there and dealing with the landlord and no need to bring our parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just before going into 1st year in IT Carlow, as I had no previous landlord reference, so the landlords wanted a guarantor. My dad was said guarantor. And as he was the guarantor, he wanted to ensure that there were no existing issues that the LL would try charging me for at a later stage.
    Chacha97 wrote: »
    It seems the landlords may have decided not to take 1st year males?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

the_syco wrote: »
    Just before going into 1st year in IT Carlow, as I had no previous landlord reference, so the landlords wanted a guarantor. My dad was said guarantor. And as he was the guarantor, he wanted to ensure that there were no existing issues that the LL would try charging me for at a later stage.

It seems the landlords may have decided not to take 1st year males?

Oh no it was an open viewing, got no email reply to go to it but when rang told us a time etc.

Final year students as well.

No one there seemed to look like first years, that was what got me wondering about the parents, thought should be old enough to deal with people yourselves face to face and not having them to go to you and then to a parent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you want the house, decide which parent (if any) is going to give the right impression to the landlord. Some wil want the comfort of knowing that a student comes from a home where the parent keeps them in line (for want if a better phrase) so that they’d expect a well maintained tenancy but not the sort of helicopter parent who is likely to cause more work for the landlord.

For example, a thought cal Irish small landlord would likely be comforted by a parent who said “my child is used to keeping clean but here’s my mobile number if it’s getting out of hand”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Lots of students have their rent paid by their parents. If I were paying monthly rent I'd want to inspect the place.

That said, many, many parents are just too involved in their adult children's lives.

As a parent, I went to view accommodation for first year only. Reckoned that they were old and wise enough to sort things out for themselves. Youngest one commuted from home last 2 years as it was cheaper and meant that he could keep his part time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Your right. Their grown adults and can fend for them self however if it’s specifically student accommodation, from a ll point of view unless your a final year or mature student, I would actually prefer a parent to come for 2 reasons.

1. I would like to get a feel of what their parents are like as this would hopefully give me a general idea of what their child is like(not always the case but every little helps)

2. I would get the parents to go in as a guarantor to further hopefully protect my asset.

If it was a standard rental, I would never give it to adults that are being their parents with them as I’m sure I would be acting like a parent around them if they have never lived outside a home but for student rentals it’s a little different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

it would be normal for first years to bring parents, but not so much after that. i don't think landlords will care either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

If it was my son and i was paying the rent, you can be damn sure id be inspecting it with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Don't see the issue personally, I always thought it was handy to have an extra pair of more experienced eyes who might (and often did) see something I'd have overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

If it was me I would bring a parent. That why you can show you have support and that your guarantor will be there for the landlord to meet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I know a landlord who won't deal with a student if the parents turn up.

Advertisement