Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad area grass

Options
  • 12-07-2018 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Had lawn redone about 7 years ago. Old grass was dug up and area leveled and roll on turf applied. This particular area was where an old concrete path was and as far as I’m aware it was dug up and all the hardcore removed before new topsoil being put over the area. Over the last 7 years this area has always looked bad and no matter what chemicals or fertilizer I apply it never really looses its brown dying look. Am I resigned to digging it up and replacing it or is there some miracle solution to this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s jist drying out too quickly. Possibly not all the hardcore was removed and it’s extra dry there. Maybe the soil imported wasn't very good.

I have a French drain in my garden and it dries out similarly.

Chemicals and fertiliser are grand but they treat the plant and not the soil, possibly further damaging the soil actually. I would start top dressing that area with compost, build up the humus in the soil so it properly grows grass and will withstand dry spells better.

Spread some compost in the autumn, rake it out and down to soil level, it will need subsequent treatments every autumn but it will improve the area. Half the depth of the grass, it will rot down over the winter so you won’t notice next mowing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Thanks Brian. Will I mix grass seed in with the compost and rake it through the top layer of existing grass or will the existing grass be strong enough to recover ?

You could but grass it tough and I’d think it will recover anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Before i'd spend any money on it i'd dig a pilot hole of circa 1 square foot and see whats underneath. To me it looks like there wasn't enough of the path/subsoil dug out, if that's the case no amount of top dressing will cure the problem.

Before i'd spend any money on it i'd dig a pilot hole of circa 1 square foot and see whats underneath. To me it looks like there wasn't enough of the path/subsoil dug out, if that's the case no amount of top dressing will cure the problem.

I wouldn’t judge too much on how it react to a once in 40 year drought conditions.
    Adding organic matter via compost will improve the grass and increase moisture retention.
    I have a huge brown patch on my lawn from underground rock, it’s only the second time in 11 years it’s shown, not worth doing anything about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

This happens every year not just in drought conditions. The area in the picture never seems to grow at the same rate as the rest of the garden so maybe the issue is with the old footpath foundations as suggested. Just to keep it green and someway healthy looking I apply evergreen lawnfood 4 times a year and keep the affected area well watered. It’s exaggerated now because of the dry conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

could put a long jump sand pit in there to disguise it :)
    or a raised bed
    otherwise you would be living with it unless you dig it up to sort it

Advertisement