Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving while drivers licence is lost.

• 12-07-2018 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I've just come back from holiday and realized that my drivers licence is missing from my wallet. It's nowhere to be found so it's probably lying on a beach or pub somewhere overseas.

Obviously I need to apply for a new one. Is it illegal for me to drive to the NDLS centre?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You'll have to go to the garda station first...

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply.html#to-apply-for-a-replacement-of-a-lost-or-stolen-driving-licence

I'd say you'll be fine driving, you are still licensed, you just have lost your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

You'll have to go to the garda station first...

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply.html#to-apply-for-a-replacement-of-a-lost-or-stolen-driving-licence

I'd say you'll be fine driving, you are still licensed, you just have lost your license.

I have to go to the NDLS first to pick up the form. Then bring it to the guards.

I just want to know for sure if I'm OK to drive with no physical licence.

I have to go to the NDLS first to pick up the form. Then bring it to the guards.

I just want to know for sure if I'm OK to drive with no physical licence.

You can just print the form...

Citizens information says you must carry it
    It is a requirement in Ireland that you carry your driving licence or learner permit with you at all times when driving.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_driving_licence.html

That doesn't really answer the question though. There are times where you will be without a license. Such as when applying for a renewal where you must forfeit your existing license and wait for the new one to arrive. And in the OP's situation. I still say that this will be fine.

So long as the OP is driving with everything else in order, I can't see any garda taking much issue with this. Get the form stamped, and submit it to ndls asap and keep whatever receipt you get from them as proof and all will be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Usually a garda gives you 10 days to produce if you do get stopped. If you explain your case I'm sure you'll be grand unless they don't like you for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Your entitlement to drive is unaffected by the absence of the physical representation of it, i.e. the license artifact. It's like the difference between the driver number and the stock number on the license. It is, as has been pointed out, an offence to drive without the license artifact with you, but that is a different thing and it would be a particularly thick bastard of a Garda indeed that would bother you with it in these circumstances. Drive on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've just come back from holiday and realized that my drivers licence is missing from my wallet. It's nowhere to be found so it's probably lying on a beach or pub somewhere overseas.

Obviously I need to apply for a new one. Is it illegal for me to drive to the NDLS centre?!

Apply for new license, take copy of application etc.
    Drive away and keep proof your applying for a replacement with you until you get the replacement back.

Unless they have issue to pull you up for another reason the guards will be fine with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It is a road traffic offence to drive a vehicle without your licence with you in the vehicle. So by the book no you are not permitted to drive at the moment. This is almost never enforced though and the standard practice is you would be asked to bring your licence to the station within 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

GarIT wrote: »
    It is a road traffic offence to drive a vehicle without your licence with you in the vehicle. So by the book no you are not permitted to drive at the moment...

This is true, but note that it is not the same offence as driving without a license.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

You should apply for a new one and keep evidence that you have applied in your car / on your person while driving. That at least gives you evidence that you can present to any Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Cant find my license the last 10 years, never get asked at check points so I’m in no rush to bother getting a replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Cant find my license the last 10 years, never get asked at check points so I’m in no rush to bother getting a replacement

Licenses remain valid for 10 years after which you must renew. Leave it too long and you'll be resiting the driving test from scratch....

http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2015/DRIVERS-URGED-TO-CHECK-THEIR-LICENCES-HAVE-NOT-EXPIRED/

Thats fairly stupid advice to be honest. You are supposed to carry a license with you at all times when driving a motor vehicle in Ireland.
    Although a garda does not enforce this and lets people off with the requirement to present it at their local station in 10 days, you could meet the one who will penalize you for not having it.
    The OP's case is different here where they have generally lost it and are looking to replace it.
    You're just being cheap again.
    Also you are aware that a class b license is only valid for 10 years before it has to be renewed right? For all you know you could be currently be driving with an expired license

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Thats fairly stupid advice to be honest. You are supposed to carry a license with you at all times when driving a motor vehicle in Ireland.
    Although a garda does not enforce this and lets people off with the requirement to present it at their local station in 10 days, you could meet the one who will penalize you for not having it.
    The OP's case is different here where they have generally lost it and are looking to replace it.
    Also you are aware that a class b license is only valid for 10 years before it has to be renewed right? For all you know you could be currently be driving with an expired license

Wasn’t advice, just giving my experience on the matter

My license is valid until 2022 due to a clerical error

Wasn’t advice, just giving my experience on the matter

My license is valid until 2022 due to a clerical error

How will you know when to replace this on the date it does expire?
    The year is a very very rough guideline to be going off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for not having a license on them while driving, after they presented it within 10 days?

I thought it raised constitutional concerns when the law was brought in, as it was similar to a national mandatory ID requirement, and the AG advised Gardaí not to prosecute as long as the license was presented within 10 days.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been prosecuted for not having a license on them while driving, after they presented it within 10 days?

I thought it raised constitutional concerns when the law was brought in, as it was similar to a national mandatory ID requirement, and the AG advised Gardaí not to prosecute as long as the license was presented within 10 days.

I believe this is what the whole 10 days thing is for.

I think a summons is issued if the license is not presented in 10 days however

How will you know when to replace this on the date it does expire?
    The year is a very very rough guideline to be going off

Can remember the month I passed but more than likely get it renewed before 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

When I was at the Garda station today to get the form signed I asked about driving without a licence. He just rattled off a sentence that seemed word for word from the Garda manual "If a drivers licence cannot be produced you must present it at a station within 10 days". Didn't really seem to be bothered although I was hoping he'd say "Ah shir it'll be grand".

I guess it depends on the Guard. Either way, in my 10+ years of driving I've never been asked for my drivers licence. Even when I crashed my car.

• Advertisement

When I was at the Garda station today to get the form signed I asked about driving without a licence. He just rattled off a sentence that seemed word for word from the Garda manual "If a drivers licence cannot be produced you must present it at a station within 10 days". Didn't really seem to be bothered although I was hoping he'd say "Ah shir it'll be grand".

I guess it depends on the Guard. Either way, in my 10+ years of driving I've never been asked for my drivers licence. Even when I crashed my car.

Yeah I've only been asked once/maybe twice in my 7 years but never had an issue as I've always carried it.

Advertisement