Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Touran clutch

• 12-07-2018 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello,

2005 1.6 petrol vw touran. Clutch is making a screeching sound when it's pressed. Sounds fine running in idle. If it's a clutch replacement job.....Is it something that can be done in a driveway?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How are you at DIY? What kind of lifting equipment do you have? I'd imagine you're going to have to drop the gearbox out of it which would be quite the job without the proper tools or lift.

All in all, I would say no it is not. But then again... if there's a will...

EDIT: You'll need to investigate this further before you can presume this is the clutch plate itself. I can't see anything conclusive that this is the cause from what you've said... especially if it is not slipping when driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

How are you at DIY? What kind of lifting equipment do you have? I'd imagine you're going to have to drop the gearbox out of it which would be quite the job without the proper tools or lift.

All in all, I would say no it is not. But then again... if there's a will...

EDIT: You'll need to investigate this further before you can presume this is the clutch plate itself. I can't see anything conclusive that this is the cause from what you've said... especially if it is not slipping when driving.

I wouldn't dream of attempting it myself. I'm in a situation where I need it sorted asap. I'm waiting on a local mechanic to return a call. If he doesn't I have a mate who is a mechanic who will look at it tomorrow. I was just wondering if he could sort it tomorrow in his driveway or like you said will it need special equipment etc.

So it might not need a new clutch? Possibly just a clutch cable or similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't dream of attempting it myself. I'm in a situation where I need it sorted asap. I'm waiting on a local mechanic to return a call. If he doesn't I have a mate who is a mechanic who will look at it tomorrow. I was just wondering if he could sort it tomorrow in his driveway or like you said will it need special equipment etc.

So it might not need a new clutch? Possibly just a clutch cable or similar?

It's not going to happen in a driveway. No mechanic would be mad enough to do that on someone elses car. Doing it in a driveway will double the amount of time it'll take compared to doing it in a garage with a lift and access to all needed tools.

As for what it is. You haven't told us very much. Does the car go into gear? Does it drive at all? I wouldn't say it's definitely the clutch. We know too little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Sounds like the release bearing is gone. Will just sound awful until it sticks or falls apart. You will get a long time of of it yet. Only used when changing gears.

I have done clutches on a driveway but I wouldn't recommend it. A right pain.

• Advertisement

The issue started on Monday I would say. Last night it was very noticeable (the sound). It goes up and down the gears no problem. It does not struggle on a hill climb.
    Apart from the sound (screech) when the clutch pedal is pressed the only other thing I've noticed is when going into reverse or starting out in 1st gear the car will judder.

If there is something I can visually check let me know and I'll have a look. Or if there is a test I can do let me know.

I did try one thing i seen on YouTube . With the hand brake on i let out the clutch in 2nd gear. The engine stalled which is what I believe is supposed to happen.

It's the release bearing . To replace it is a gearbox off job. Anyone doing the release bearing will do a full 3 piece clutch kit . You should ring around for quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Sounds like the release bearing is gone. Will just sound awful until it sticks or falls apart. You will get a long time of of it yet. Only used when changing gears.

This punto came in to us today. Release bearing started making noise on Monday and was driven only a few miles. Gearbox is now completely ruined and needs replacing too. When they start making noise they need to be done pronto.
    IMG_20180712_160232.jpg
    IMG_20180712_160243.jpg

Ok thanks lads. Looks like I'm screwed so. I was going to drive 40 mile to Dublin tonight and have it looked at tomorrow morning. Can't chance that now.

Ok thanks lads. Looks like I'm screwed so. I was going to drive 40 mile to Dublin tonight and have it looked at tomorrow morning. Can't chance that now.

You will likely be fine going 40 miles. What I was getting at is don't leave it for weeks

• Advertisement

rex-x wrote: »
    This punto came in to us today. Release bearing started making noise on Monday and was driven only a few miles. Gearbox is now completely ruined and needs replacing too. When they start making noise they need to be done pronto.
    IMG_20180712_160232.jpg
    IMG_20180712_160243.jpg

What happened to the gearbox. Driving the car with the release bearing stuck solid would do that alright but you would hear the banging of the forks slipping.
    Guess best to sort out straight off but never seen one that bad. You said Monday. Monday last Xmas

mickuhaha wrote: »
    What happened to the gearbox. Driving the car with the release bearing stuck solid would do that alright but you would hear the banging of the forks slipping.
    Guess best to sort out straight off but never seen one that bad. You said Monday. Monday last Xmas

If you look at the first picture the collar surrounding the input shaft is destroyed. this is part of the bellhousing unfortunately and cant be replaced separately. The car was with us for a new crankshaft sensor the Monday morning and was silent at that time so it went downhill very fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

I’ve done plenty of them vw 1.6 clutch’s but wouldn’t do one on the ground. It’s roughlu 3 hours work. There is no way to physically check it but from what u have said it’s the release bearing. If ur stuck sure give me a shout and il point ya in the right direction.

Advertisement