Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with damage to property mid tenancy

Options
  • 12-07-2018 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. Just looking for some tips and tricks from ll. What do people do if they believe the tenant damaged something that needs to be fixed. Would you just suck it up if it’s something small, meet them half way and they take a 50/50 hit or do you force it all on the tenant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Fol20 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Just looking for some tips and tricks from ll. What do people do if they believe the tenant damaged something that needs to be fixed. Would you just suck it up if it’s something small, meet them half way and they take a 50/50 hit or do you force it all on the tenant?

If it's wear and tear then it's up to the LL to fix, but if the tenant physically damaged the property either by their actions or negligence, then the tenant pays in full. If you think it exceeds the deposit, I would act now, if they refuse to pay, serve notice for breach on tenancy agreement which I assume includes a clause stating that tenant will respect the property and not damage it.

What are we talking about here? A rip in a sofa or the tenant burned the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,948 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FWIW, I sucked it up and covered the cost of replacing a hand-basin. I don't for one minute believe the tenant's story about dropping a jar of shampoo and the basin broke on the impact. But frankly it wasn't worth the hassle of an argument. And by paying myself I could be sure that proper suppliers and trades-people were used, no somebody's mate who got a new one off the back of a truck.

Now if it started happening frequently I'd take a different line. But for a once off, especially if it's not costing thousands, I'd pick my battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Yep exactly. That’s what I normally do. Just checking how everyone else goes about doing it. Some stiles it can be hard to decide whether it’s wear and tear or tenants fault. There can be grey areas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I would serve a notice on the tenant, to come up with proposals to rectify the damage within a reasonable time. If they didn't, they would get notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

FWIW, I sucked it up and covered the cost of replacing a hand-basin. I don't for one minute believe the tenant's story about dropping a jar of shampoo and the basin broke on the impact.
    It all depends on what the jar was made of, my farther in law dropped a bottle of aftershave onto his hand basin and the thing cracked. But we may not be comparing like with like as I don't know the damage that was done in your case.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Twice (in my own property) I dropped small items from the ledge into the basin and cracked the sink, so it can happen.

Bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

FWIW, I sucked it up and covered the cost of replacing a hand-basin. I don't for one minute believe the tenant's story about dropping a jar of shampoo and the basin broke on the impact. But frankly it wasn't worth the hassle of an argument. And by paying myself I could be sure that proper suppliers and trades-people were used, no somebody's mate who got a new one off the back of a truck.

Now if it started happening frequently I'd take a different line. But for a once off, especially if it's not costing thousands, I'd pick my battles.

Some hand-basins are utter crap, my sister dropped the small glass that she stores her toothbrush in by accident while brushing her teeth and there was a huge hole in it. She replaced it herself instantly, no questions asked.

Advertisement