Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If 'Big Sam' was England manager....

• 12-07-2018 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭

Ok England were knocked out they did extremely well in fairness.
    Surprised everyone including themselves.
    It got me thinking what sort of England team Allardyce would have picked.

Plus more importantly how far do you think he would have got in it?

I figure it would have been 4-3-3

Hart

Cresswell - Stones - Cahill - Trippier

Henderson - Noble - Wilshere

Sterling - Kane - Rooney

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not even Big Sam would have had Rooney there, that ship had very clearly sailed.

Otherwise I would say that Englands fortunes would have been pretty similar. He is a better manager than he is given credit for and considering how the chips fell for England I can't see many different results.

England have a limited squad, they beat teams they should be beating and then lost when it came time that an extra bit of quality was needed.

At one and the same time I believe that Southgate did as well as he could have done and that another manager could also have done just as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not even Big Sam would have had Rooney there, that ship had very clearly sailed.

Otherwise I would say that Englands fortunes would have been pretty similar. He is a better manager than he is given credit for and considering how the chips fell for England I can't see many different results.

England have a limited squad, they beat teams they should be beating and then lost when it came time that an extra bit of quality was needed.

At one and the same time I believe that Southgate did as well as he could have done and that another manager could also have done just as well.

I should have swapped Rooney with Michail Antonio so!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If they had the same set of circumstances in terms of the draw opening up the way it did, they’d have gotten to at least the exact same stage regardless of who they had as manager IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Sturridge and Bertrand surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,661 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Paully D wrote: »
    If they had the same set of circumstances in terms of the draw opening up the way it did, they’d have gotten to at least the exact same stage regardless of who they had as manager IMO.
    I dunno if we can write Colombia off as that much of a walkover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Honestly, probably something very similar to what he was picking before he was sacked.

This was his one of his last teamsheets;
    Hart; Walker, Cahill, Stones, Rose; Dier, Henderson; Lallana, Rooney, Sterling; Kane

Keeper may or may not have changed, though probably would, given his season. Reckon that's pretty close to the back four. Definately would have stuck with 2 DM's, and probably Alli in for Lallana. Then maybe Welbeck or Rashford in for Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ah lads,.. What about Kevin Nolan lads....

Advertisement